6.1 speaker setup on a Pioneer VSX-1131 7.2 AV receiver

T

Tex-AV

Audiophyte
Hi,
I recently moved to a house that had a Bose 6.1 speaker already setup. They are 3 in the front and 3 in the back. And the sub-woofer. I have a Pioneer VSX-1131 AV Receiver that supports a 6.1 configuration (based on some of their literature and settings). I understand that I need to connect the sixth speaker (surround back) to one of the Surround Back connectors on the back of the 1131. The question I cannot find an answer to is, to which of the two surround back connectors do I connect the sixth speaker, the R (right) or L (left), or it does not matter? Some other AV receivers' documentation tell you to connect the sixth speaker to a specific surround back connector on the AV, but not this one. The setup is similar to the one in the attached image (inside the square). Any recommendations?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glancing at your manual I don't see a setup suggestion for 6.1, nor much explanation of the sound modes at all. Seems to me on my avrs that do specify 6.1 with the single back surround the left back surround was the usual connection method. In your case I'd simply run MCACC as is and let the avr do it's thing....if it sounds wrong disconnect the back surround and rerun MCACC....

T

Tex-AV

Audiophyte
Glancing at your manual I don't see a setup suggestion for 6.1, nor much explanation of the sound modes at all. Seems to me on my avrs that do specify 6.1 with the single back surround the left back surround was the usual connection method. In your case I'd simply run MCACC as is and let the avr do it's thing....if it sounds wrong disconnect the back surround and rerun MCACC....
Thanks Lovinthehd for the prompt response. I was trying to play it safe, but I will try your suggestion, and keep you posted.

T

Tex-AV

Audiophyte
I did find more info I can share. The Advanced Manual for the Pioneer SVX-1131 can be found here:
http://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SN29402388_604.pdf

On page 9 it has the different speaker configurations:

Default value: 7.1.2 ch
Options: Select "2.1 ch", "3.1 ch", "4.1 ch", "5.1 ch", "6.1 ch",
"7.1 ch", "2.1.2 ch", "3.1.2 ch", "4.1.2 ch", "5.1.2
ch", "6.1.2 ch", or "7.1.2 ch" to suit

When you select 6.1 you cannot use the Center speaker. You have to select 7.1, then run MCACC. It will detect that you only have one Surround Back speaker (L or R), like in my case, and make the sound adjustments.

Note: You cannot use the Zone 2 with this setting. It has to be a 5.1 or less configuration as the Zone 2 connectors are the same as the Surround Back connectors. Speaker B is on this unit is designed for Front Height speakers or similar, you cannot control Speaker B from your remote or app.

I have opted to use my older AV Receiver to drive my patio speakers with it.

S

ski8um

Audiophyte
I have opted to use my older AV Receiver to drive my patio speakers with it.[/QUOTE]
Do you know how to switch to the B speakers or to A/B speakers using only the front of the receiver? I knew at one point, but forgot how, and it's not in the manual.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis