$550 for sub, what sub to get??

H

haastyle

Junior Audioholic
I want some input on this, i was going to go with the paradigm sub, ps-1000 because the rest of the speakers i am going to get are paradigm, but since i don't think it matters, because you can adjust the sub crossover or whatever

So for $550 what would you buy? In the showroom the ps1000 sounded amazing, it was hitting hard and sounded like a theater sub rumbble...was great to me, if you recommend something, can you please only recommend me something that is not internet order or something like that, i really want to try to test out and listen to the sub myself. (by the way i live in northern virginia, if you know a dealer around here or something)

Thanks!!

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
there are some place has 45day or 30day full refund policy. such as SVS, HSU, av123.com. I know svs has 45day trail out, not sure the other place. I read alot review, seem like those are really good, you can try it out if you want, else probably just buy the paradigm sub, its not bad either.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
www.velodyne.com

i think the DLS or CHT series (the same) is just slightly over your budget based on SRP ... but you might get a discount (there usually is) -15% maybe?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps there are other members of AH that live in your area that would be willing to let you audition their subs. (Anyone out there?)

S002 makes a good suggestion. Both Hsu and SVS have liberal return policies. Have them send you one. You can listen to it in your room, which is much better than in a showroom. If then you don't like it...ship it back. You will be out of pocket for the return shipping, however.

That said, I'd wager that 99% of the people who have heard Paradigm subs and Hsu or SVS will tell you the same thing...namely that Hsu and SVS will perform much better than the Paras. (I have heard them.) You are getting better value for these subs, as there is no middleman/store selling them and requiring their markup. It is with good reason that Hsu and SVS subs are so highly touted "bang-for-buck" subs by these Audioholic a/v fans. These subs will win any "shootout" review you can find comparing their specs to Paras.

But as we like to say around here...it's your hard-earned money. Spend it on what pleases your ears.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I've had a PS-1000 for 10 years now. While it's a great sub, I feel technology has improved and there are now better offerings at the same price point. I haven't heard on, but from what I've read I'd go with the HSU.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Based on the #'s I would say the PB10. Or you may want to really step up and go with a VTF-3 MK2. Dukester is selling a brand new sealed one, right now for that exact amount. Quite a bargain.....
Also his were bought from a HSU dealer and include full warranty..
Link here - http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15767

As far as being close to you??? He lives in South Carolina..
Internet is where you will more than likey get a good sub.

Also check this out, there seems to be a fairly close dealer to you... Burlington N.C.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1822

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
My Vote

haastyle said:
I want some input on this, i was going to go with the paradigm sub, ps-1000 because the rest of the speakers i am going to get are paradigm, but since i don't think it matters, because you can adjust the sub crossover or whatever

So for $550 what would you buy? In the showroom the ps1000 sounded amazing, it was hitting hard and sounded like a theater sub rumbble...was great to me, if you recommend something, can you please only recommend me something that is not internet order or something like that, i really want to try to test out and listen to the sub myself. (by the way i live in northern virginia, if you know a dealer around here or something)

Thanks!!
SVS PB12-ISD for movies and music. You can return it if you don't like it and there's no better place to audition speakers than in your home.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
df4801 said:
velodyne dls5000 15", $579 DELIVERED
DLSR-5000R....;)

Just pushing your buttons.

I would recommend an SVS or HSU unit within your price range. The 5000R is another beast of a subwoofer. 83lbs....1000watts, Remote, DSP's, LOUD. If you want a GIANT box, the velo will do, IF it's $579 delivered.....

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis