M

matt houser

Audioholic
What would be causing this huge bump at 50htz, the first sweep is sub #1, it also has a bump at 60htz, the second sweep is sub #2, it has a huge bump at 50 also, the strange thing is when i do a sweep with the fronts by themselves the bump is also there which tells me there is a major issue with the room, theres not a lot i can do as far as moving things around, it sucks to think that as good as this system is, the room is having such a detrimental effect

Attachments

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those bumps look like floor bounce. The floor's effect may also be seen by a large dip at a bit higher frequency. The frequencies of those peaks and dips should vary depending on how far away you put the measurement microphone. When the sound coming directly from the speaker reach the microphone, they can be boosted or reduced by the sounds reflecting off the floor. When the floor reflections arrive in phase with the direct sounds they boost the signal, and when they arrive out of phase they reduce or cancel the signal.

As long as a floor is present, all low frequency measurements of speakers show those large variations. If you also have a flat ceiling, you will see its effects too, to a lesser extent.

This is not really a major issue with your room. A floor-less room would be rather useless. Besides, it is said that our hearing readily adapts to the floor's effect, and we accept it as normal.

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
you could EQ out the bump but you might find yourself disliking the result. #1 thing is always that you are happy with what you hear.

M

matt houser

Audioholic
I feel like this is a question that I need to address, what is the Common way to EQ, my Denon receiver has an equalizer but you can’t turn it on and run odyssey at the same time, One thing for sure is that Odyssey is definitely helping with some of these peeks, I think the best way is to EQ and then run Odyssey I’m just not sure how it’s done I am fairly new to this

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
MiniDSP makes several that are popular. Hard to do with an avr for speakers, unless you run them on external amps and can insert between preouts on avr and amp inputs, fairly easy to with the subs tho (and a miniDSP 2x4 HD wouldwork for that).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I feel like this is a question that I need to address…
Don't. It's an artifact of the distance between your sub woofer and the test microphone. How far away was it from the sub woofer when you observed the 50 Hz peak? Listening position, 1 meter away, something else? As you move the microphone, the frequency of the peak & valley change. Trying to EQ it is like playing Whac-a-mole.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those frequency response curves you see published online that don't show these floor bounce peaks & valleys are made either in an anechoic room elaborately built so there are little or no reflections, or outside with both the speaker and microphone on tall platforms. You cannot eliminate them with EQ. Don't frustrate yourself by trying.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe try the tone controls(bass/treble). Most bass knobs are centered at 50hz. It might be defeated when audyssey is on. Turn off audyssey and sweep with the tone or eq reduced at 50hz.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
What would be causing this huge bump at 50htz, the first sweep is sub #1, it also has a bump at 60htz, the second sweep is sub #2, it has a huge bump at 50 also, the strange thing is when i do a sweep with the fronts by themselves the bump is also there which tells me there is a major issue with the room, theres not a lot i can do as far as moving things around, it sucks to think that as good as this system is, the room is having such a detrimental effect

Do you have a wall that is about 22.5 feet wide?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Don't. It's an artifact of the distance between your sub woofer and the test microphone. How far away was it from the sub woofer when you observed the 50 Hz peak? Listening position, 1 meter away, something else? As you move the microphone, the frequency of the peak & valley change. Trying to EQ it is like playing Whac-a-mole.
Swerd speaks the truth here. In many rooms there's a bass bump and exactly where it occurs and at what frequency are artifacts of the room. You can drive yourself nuts trying to fix something that isn't achievable.

If you hate the sound, or there's something about that bass bump that drives you bonkers that's only a slightly different story. For most applications in most rooms, as Swerd says, the room will have its affect.

Most people forget that a music system is the hardware (amps, players, interconnects, speakers) with software applied (music in either analog or digital format from some source) coupled with the room or listening space. That last part, the coupling with the listening space isn't optional. And if you were to deaden your room to a completely non-reflective and non-reactive set of surfaces, you'd find the sound most distasteful.

WHen I started on this forum, I thought I'd need room remediation and have to spend a lot of money and time on my room since its a theoretically horrible shape for a listening room. With all the help available, I made my room sound freakin' great without much room fixin' at all. YMMV. caveat caveat.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis