50' surround runs: Ultralink, Impact, no name?

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
I am in the process of installing new 7.1 HT system. Yamaha 1500 (120wpc) will likely be driving BagEnd MM8H mains with in-ceiling surrounds. I have to run the wires to the surrounds behind sheetrock up a wall and across the ceiling. Total run is about 45-50'. In-ceiling speakers are not yet chosen but looking at the mid-range SpeakerCraft AIM8s. (Need aimable speakers so I will entertain alternative suggestions). I will be installing surrounds and rear surrounds so I have four runs to install. I will also be putting in Presence speakers but those are only 15' runs. All runs will terminate in a wall plate with banana connections.

After reading enough forums here & elsewhere I have decided to run four conductor 14ga and pair the leads to create an effective 11ga cross section and pick up the lower resistance and twisted construction interference prevention benefits. I will have to deal with the placement of in-ceiling halogen fixtures and will likely cross a couple of 110v lines at right angles (I know enough not to run parallel). Note that I will also have the transformers of the halogens fixtures to deal with so let me know if that is a problem other than standared power line issues.

Question is choice of in-wall cable. While I don't have to watch every penny I don't want to spend more than I have to (Speakercrafts are not cheap). I have made CL3 a requirement though will accept CL2 (some have FT4 rating as well). My list of in-wall contenders is down to:

Ultralink CL414 250'@$160 (64¢/ft) www.av-oulet.com
Direct Connect 14/4 250'@113 (45¢/ft) av-outlet.com
Impact Acoustics 14/4 250'@$80 (32¢/ft) - this is without the 20% discount
PartsExpress 250'@$85 (34¢/ft) partsexpress.com
Monster 14/4 250'@$263 ($1.05/ft) for price comparison purposes only

Any thoughts based on personal experience will be greatly appreciated. My inclination is the Impact Acoustics though I really like the UltraLink product. I will likely use the Ultralink to build cables for the mains irrespective of the in-wall selection.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Impact has an excellent reputation on this site for both product and service.

That being said, I've put in cables before and decided to replace them less than a year later because it wasn't what I had originally wanted. Those little things do pick at your brain from time to time. Even though I had put in plastic conduit, it was still a pain to get the new wires in.

If the difference is only eighty bucks, you'll waste that much in personal labor anyway (and then again when you finally do decide to upgrade). You might as well get what you really want now and not be thinking about it every time you turn your stereo on...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
HTnewbie said:
I am in the process of installing new 7.1 HT system. Yamaha 1500 (120wpc) will likely be driving BagEnd MM8H mains with in-ceiling surrounds. I have to run the wires to the surrounds behind sheetrock up a wall and across the ceiling. Total run is about 45-50'. In-ceiling speakers are not yet chosen but looking at the mid-range SpeakerCraft AIM8s. (Need aimable speakers so I will entertain alternative suggestions). I will be installing surrounds and rear surrounds so I have four runs to install. I will also be putting in Presence speakers but those are only 15' runs. All runs will terminate in a wall plate with banana connections.

After reading enough forums here & elsewhere I have decided to run four conductor 14ga and pair the leads to create an effective 11ga cross section and pick up the lower resistance and twisted construction interference prevention benefits. I will have to deal with the placement of in-ceiling halogen fixtures and will likely cross a couple of 110v lines at right angles (I know enough not to run parallel). Note that I will also have the transformers of the halogens fixtures to deal with so let me know if that is a problem other than standared power line issues.

Question is choice of in-wall cable. While I don't have to watch every penny I don't want to spend more than I have to (Speakercrafts are not cheap). I have made CL3 a requirement though will accept CL2 (some have FT4 rating as well). My list of in-wall contenders is down to:

Ultralink CL414 250'@$160 (64¢/ft) www.av-oulet.com
Direct Connect 14/4 250'@113 (45¢/ft) av-outlet.com
Impact Acoustics 14/4 250'@$80 (32¢/ft) - this is without the 20% discount
PartsExpress 250'@$85 (34¢/ft) partsexpress.com
Monster 14/4 250'@$263 ($1.05/ft) for price comparison purposes only

Any thoughts based on personal experience will be greatly appreciated. My inclination is the Impact Acoustics though I really like the UltraLink product. I will likely use the Ultralink to build cables for the mains irrespective of the in-wall selection.

What is it about Ultralink that you like? After all, th ewire is in wall, out of sight.

Go with the Impact and forget it.

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
I ordered the Ultralink last night, partially based on the "value" comment by Leprkon as well as partially by what Swerd said in another thread I posted about in-wall cable ratings:

Even if there will be no formal inspection of your work, the best reason for using wire that meets code (UL approved, CL-2 or CL-3 rated) is fire insurance. If you ever have a fire in your home, and insurance investigators find wire that did not meet code behind a wall, you might have trouble collecting on your policy. Code approved wire is cheap, go ahead and use it.​

The Ultralink CL-414 is CL-3/FT-4 rated and as best I can figure, the Impact is only CL-2 rated. Both are UL listed. I am lucky to live in a very large, very expensive house (statement of fact, not bragging) and the thought of ever having a fire insurance claim questioned/denied because I was trying to save $80 is crazy. :eek:

Plus, I am planning to build my own cables for the mains and subs using Ultralink so this way I can use any extra CL414 that is left over. Unless, of course, I decide to use the Canare Starquad..... :confused: ;)

Thanks for the response.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis