5.2.4 surround speaker type and placement

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
I recently completed an upgrade to all Klipsch RP speakers. 5.2.4 setup:

Front L/R Klipsch RP-160M
Center Klipsch RP-450C
Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M
Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 (front up-firing, rear heights)
Sub SVS PC12-Plus x 2

My placement option for surrounds is limited due to room, aesthetics, WAF. They are closer in position to rear surrounds than side surrounds. See pic. Hard to tell distances but they are about 7 feet behind MLP with RS about 3 feet off to the side where LS is further, more like 6 feet to side. Before purchasing I was debating about RP-150M vs RP-240S. I asked Klipsch support and they told me due to the distance surrounds are placed the bipoles would be too diffuse and the monopoles would work better toed in towards MLP as dispersion at that distance will be good enough. I have no complaints regarding the sound as is. Atmos demos sound fantastic. Asthetically these are nicer given the cherry finish option. My wife does not like "black stuff" in our living room. I'm now second guessing and wondering if I would have been better off with the bipoles mostly due to the fact that they are not really placed in a side surround position. The bipoles would just be placed on the same stands that RP-150Ms are on. The other thought I had is that monopoles may be better in an Atmos setup for more precise object placement. Any thoughts on keeping it how it is vs swapping for the RP-240s?

Attachments

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I recently completed an upgrade to all Klipsch RP speakers. 5.2.4 setup:

Front L/R Klipsch RP-160M
Center Klipsch RP-450C
Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M
Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 (front up-firing, rear heights)
Sub SVS PC12-Plus x 2

My placement option for surrounds is limited due to room, aesthetics, WAF. They are closer in position to rear surrounds than side surrounds. See pic. Hard to tell distances but they are about 7 feet behind MLP with RS about 3 feet off to the side where LS is further, more like 6 feet to side. Before purchasing I was debating about RP-150M vs RP-240S. I asked Klipsch support and they told me due to the distance surrounds are placed the bipoles would be too diffuse and the monopoles would work better toed in towards MLP as dispersion at that distance will be good enough. I have no complaints regarding the sound as is. Atmos demos sound fantastic. Asthetically these are nicer given the cherry finish option. My wife does not like "black stuff" in our living room. I'm now second guessing and wondering if I would have been better off with the bipoles mostly due to the fact that they are not really placed in a side surround position. The bipoles would just be placed on the same stands that RP-150Ms are on. The other thought I had is that monopoles may be better in an Atmos setup for more precise object placement. Any thoughts on keeping it how it is vs swapping for the RP-240s?
If you're keeping the rear height then yes I would stick with what you have. Bipoles would make a confusing sound stage with the height speakers.

Further improvement would be found if you could run the surrounds (not including atmos speakers) in a 7 ch configuration where you would have the speakers in the rear plus one on either side, just ahead of the listeners (in line with or a few inches in front of). Unless you have a big opening on the side of the couch...

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
If you're keeping the rear height then yes I would stick with what you have. Bipoles would make a confusing sound stage with the height speakers.

Further improvement would be found if you could run the surrounds (not including atmos speakers) in a 7 ch configuration where you would have the speakers in the rear plus one on either side, just ahead of the listeners (in line with or a few inches in front of). Unless you have a big opening on the side of the couch...
Ok thanks. Yes rear heights staying. They are for rear Atmos. Ideally I would have true side surrounds but room layout/aesthetics won't work for them. The main reason I'm wondering about bipoles is because of the suboptimal surround placement and if they would help create more of a side surround and enveloping effect in that position which is closer to where one would place rear surrounds. On the flip side as you mention precise imaging seem to be important for an Atmos setup.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Agree...the surrounds would be more functional if he could get them closer to the couch. As is they are in a rear surround position.

He has nice depth behind the sofa it seem for a 5.2.4 system...right now, I'm running 5.2.2 and giving thought to adding two more in ceiling for for rear heights but I only have about 5' behind the main seating.

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
Agree...the surrounds would be more functional if he could get them closer to the couch. As is they are in a rear surround position.
Yes again that would be ideal but unfortunately this is the best I can do in our living room. It's an L shaped sofa with the part you can't see in pic up against a glass windowed wall. The opposite side has a lot of intricate woodwork, cabinets, and a fireplace making placement challenging and wiring not very concealable. And most importantly having speakers towards the middle of the room will put my wife over the edge. She has been willing to go along with all these speakers and 2 large cylinder subs so considering myself lucky I got this far. It does work and with Atmos demos especially I still get a fairly enveloping sound field but I'm guessing sounds aren't exactly where they are supposed to be.

So stick with what I have or swap for the klipsch bipoles (RP-240S). If I stick with the monopoles would different positioning work better? Facing completely forward without toe in?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes again that would be ideal but unfortunately this is the best I can do in our living room. It's an L shaped sofa with the part you can't see in pic up against a glass windowed wall. The opposite side has a lot of intricate woodwork, cabinets, and a fireplace making placement challenging and wiring not very concealable. And most importantly having speakers towards the middle of the room will put my wife over the edge. She has been willing to go along with all these speakers and 2 large cylinder subs so considering myself lucky I got this far. It does work and with Atmos demos especially I still get a fairly enveloping sound field but I'm guessing sounds aren't exactly where they are supposed to be.

So stick with what I have or swap for the klipsch bipoles (RP-240S). If I stick with the monopoles would different positioning work better? Facing completely forward without toe in?
This appears to be a main floor living space area...if so, I would consider you lucky as well! LOL

I'm venturing most of us have some room challenges and I would think Dolby would know not every homeowner would have an ideal set up for ideal speaker placement. In terms of what to do..."it does work" answers it for me...keep them.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok thanks. Yes rear heights staying. They are for rear Atmos. Ideally I would have true side surrounds but room layout/aesthetics won't work for them. The main reason I'm wondering about bipoles is because of the suboptimal surround placement and if they would help create more of a side surround and enveloping effect in that position which is closer to where one would place rear surrounds. On the flip side as you mention precise imaging seem to be important for an Atmos setup.
Bi poles create very cool effects as a surround speaker, and really help with standard 5/7ch setups. But Atmos and all these new configurations seem to be focused on direct sound only. Which makes sense, it means you'll buy more speakers. In a larger space you might be able to configure bi poles to work their magic with Atmos but larger rooms come with other problems too!

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
Bi poles create very cool effects as a surround speaker, and really help with standard 5/7ch setups. But Atmos and all these new configurations seem to be focused on direct sound only. Which makes sense, it means you'll buy more speakers. In a larger space you might be able to configure bi poles to work their magic with Atmos but larger rooms come with other problems too!
Thanks again. With a possible advantage for Atmos and aesthetically the rp-150ms in cherry looking better I'll just stick with what I have. I was upgrading from a 5.2 Polk RtiA3/CSia6/OWM3 setup with the same dual SVS PC12+ subs. The Klipsch RP 5.2.4 set up running through a Denon x4300h is a significant step up. Terrific speakers for both music and HT.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis