5.1 vs 3.1.2 with Ceiling Speakers

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
Hi All,
New here to Audioholics and hoping you all can provide some advice. I just upgraded my system with a new Denon AVR-3700H and am liking what I hear so far. I have an Aperion speaker system which consists of two front towers, center and sub. There are also two ceilings mounted left and right above the listening area because the couch is against the wall. I configured the new receiver in 5.1, but the sound from the ceiling speakers seem to be a little too pronounced, rather than providing complementary sound. Do you think a 3.1.2 configuration would improve the sound imaging? One of the speakers is right overhead for the person on the far end of the couch, which is part of the challenge of the room. Looking forward to hearing your opinions and from anyone with similar set up. Thanks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Personally I don’t think 3.1.2 is a very good option. I would leave it 5.1 and trim the surrounds down if they’re too loud.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Without knowing your room limitations you could either:
1. Move the couch towards the TV so the speakers are behind you a bit. You would be surprised how far people sit away for normal viewing vs the size of their TV. (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship)
2. Move the couch left/right in an effort to not have anyone sitting directly below it.
3. Use Denon's room correction and if that doesn't work then reduce the levels in the rear until satisfied.

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
Thanks MDK & William,
Unfortunately, I can't move the couch since it's a narrow room. I just configured to 3.1.2 with Audessey and it all sounds much more natural. I think trying to make my system a 5.1 was causing the imaging to sound much less realistic. For now, the sound is full, dimensional and not forced, certainly not 5.1, but it has a great Dolby image. Until I install in-wall rears, I think I should be pretty satisfied.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, from 3.1.2 to 5.1.2. wouldn't use rear surrounds, just regular ones (which should be to the sides).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis