5.1 output in 4 speakers

K

kpierce

Junior Audioholic
I was doing some research last month on a surround sound system for my family room. It is pre-wired with four total speaker outlet boxes

I ran across a description for a Yamaha receiver (I think that was the brand). That stated you can get the output of a 5.1 system in just 4 speakers. Now I can't locate that system or the article.

I am just wondering if the electrion simply shorted a speaker outlet or if 4 speakers are sufficient for a surround sound system. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also, a model number/link would be great.

thanks in advance.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Short a speaker outlet? Not a good idea.

kpierce said:
I was doing some research last month on a surround sound system for my family room. It is pre-wired with four total speaker outlet boxes

I ran across a description for a Yamaha receiver (I think that was the brand). That stated you can get the output of a 5.1 system in just 4 speakers. Now I can't locate that system or the article.

I am just wondering if the electrion simply shorted a speaker outlet or if 4 speakers are sufficient for a surround sound system. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also, a model number/link would be great.

thanks in advance.
Most receivers allow you to specify which speakers are active or not. you generally find this somewhere in the manual/menus under setup.

What speaker are you thinking of doing without? Do you really need an in wall run for a center channel?

Last edited:
K

kpierce

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the response. I was not thinking of doing without a 'speaker'. I am new to this and just know I have four speaker outlets in the room. I guess I could do a center channel speaker in a cabinet. But that is not truely the center of the room and the other speakers are offset to the left of this cabinet.

I was hoping I could find that system that advertised 5.1 sound in only 4 speakers. Any help on locating that system would be much appreciated.

thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Like markw said, you just have to indicate which speakers are connected when you setup the receiver. It will take care of downmixing 5.1 into any number of fewer channels. I used 3.1 for months until I got around to mounting the surround speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
kpierce said:
I was hoping I could find that system that advertised 5.1 sound in only 4 speakers. Any help on locating that system would be much appreciated.
No, there is no such system specifically tailored to what you are asking. What has been described by the others is most likely your best path.

A separate center could be used with the other 4 speakers and placed wherever you choose, so I don't quite follow what you're asking?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker setup.

1. Read the audioholics primer on the speakers and locations that are required for a Dolby 5.1 system:
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/hometheaterspeakerlayout.php

2. Determine the location of the existing wiring in your room and the coresponding channels in a 5.1 system.

You will probably find that wiring is missing for the center channel and subwoofer. You should be able to easily connect speaker wire to the center channel and an RCA cable for the sub. It is typical to have the center channel sitting on top of the TV with receiver and other gear in TV stand below, so no wiring will be exposed.
Just about any 5.1 receiver allows the user to specify which channels are connected. The soundtrack info for the channels that are not there is routed to the other connected speakers.

Identifying your budget (for speakers, receiver, and sub) and room size would be a good place to start. From there you can identify speakers in your price range and then a receiver that is capable of driving them.

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
You maybe referring to imaging

The article to which you refer, may have been talking about imaging (e.g. a phantom center channel). In that case the speaker setup would be 4.1, FL - FR, SR, SL, and a LFE sub channel.

When a mono audio signal is played thru stereo channels on a properly setup and functioning stereo audio system, the sound will appear to come from directly between the two speakers. The mono image focuses and you won't hear left and right speakers, but sound that seems to come from directly between the two speakers.

So if you can hear you current system image mono audio (like vocals in any clear recording), then a phantom center channel may work well for you. Usually, there's a sweat spot where this works just fine. But, those to the left and right miss out. So a center channel speaker is usually more practical.

As others have said, to do this you just tell the receiver which speakers you have, and it should just work.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis