5.1 analogue vs. bitstream digital

Totoro

Junior Audioholic
I have a panasonic dv87 that plays dvds and dvd audio. I don't have any dvd-audio discs, which require 5.1 analogue outputs because of copy protection. My question is, for regular CDs ( and movie DVDs), which is better, the 5.1 analogue needed for DVD-audio, or the bitstream digital connection? And why? My DVD player and receiver both decode hdcd. The receiver is a Marantz SR4600.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Bit-stream because it is much easier to deal with and there is no downside IMO. Just plug your digital connection from your DVD player to your receiver, set the connection in the receiver to "auto" and life is beautiful.

Nick

B

big_willy

Audiophyte
It would depend of which unit does a better job of Digital-Analogue conversion.

You may find one method sounds better then the other because you're using a different component to do the D/A conversion.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My guess would be that the digital connection would sound best, based on the components. In my experience, Panasonic doesn't use the best D/A converters. The D/A converters in the Marantz are most likely better.

I would like to add that the reason DVD-A discs need the analog out is not because of copy protection, but bandwidth limitations with the standard S/PDIF digital interface.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
The analog output stages and/or the power supply, not the DACs, are usually the weak link in the output audio chain (not counting the power amp, of course)-most entry level players have more than adequate DACs, but their analog outputs and power supplies are less so (sometimes much less). Video is a somewhat different story, but most high end players have much better quality analog outputs and power supplies than their lesser bretheren (consider the Denon 5910, which shares a lot of the same audio digital hardware with the 3910 but has a better output AND power supply).

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
audio connection

Your receiver has better D/As and bass management than that entry level DVD player so stick with the digital connection.

Totoro

Junior Audioholic
jcPanny said:
Your receiver has better D/As and bass management than that entry level DVD player so stick with the digital connection.
True, but most players with 5.1 analogue out are not entry level players.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis