5.0 system calibration?

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I have a H/K AVR 230 on the way and I am wondering about setup and calibration of a 5.0 setup. Is there a way using EzSet to automatically setup for a 5.0 setup?

Setting up a 5.0 system should be no different from setting up a 5.1 system except that you select "NO" for subwoofer.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
What all is involved with system calibration (i.e. speaker information, distances)?

U

Unregistered

rack04 said:
What all is involved with system calibration (i.e. speaker information, distances)?
You tell the receiver which speakers you have, their size (large or small), and their distance from the listening position. Then you use the EZSet procedure or manually calibrate the speaker levels so that they each read a certain decibel level at the listening position.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
How well does the EzSet automatic calibration work? Probably a stupid question but what is the break point for "large" and "small"?

U

Unregistered

Unless you have very large front speakers that can play well into the lower bass regions, say 30Hz, it is generally best to set all speakers to small and use a crossover frequency of around 80HZ.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
"Frequency Response: 28 Hz - 20 kHz"

This is cut and pasted from my Cerwin Vega's website. Is this what you are talking about? Also, what is the crossover frequency?

U

Unregistered

Yes those speakers go down pretty low and thus you might want to try them as 'large', but generally it is better to just use 'small' for everything and cross over to the sub. The cross over frequency is the frequency where the receiver splits the signal and sends all frequencies below the cross over to the subwoofer.

Eg. with 80Hz cross over frequency, frequencies below 80Hz will get sent to the sub for all speakers that are 'small' (thus relieving them of the burden of trying to play low frequencies they are not well equipped to play).

Google for 'bass management' and you will get tons of reading info.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
After pulling the owner's manual I was able to find out some information:

V-12F 12" 3-way 28Hz - 20kHz 10 - 300 watts 98dB 8 ohm
V-5C Dual 5 1/4" 60Hz - 20kHz 10 - 150 watts 91dB 8 ohm

I will not be using a sub out of respect for my neighbors, thus any ideas on the "large/small" settings with this 5.0 setup?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
If you aren't going to use a sub then you would need to set at least the front speakers to large so that the lfe channel willl be directed to be output to your main speakers, effectively turning off bass management in most scenraio. Many receivers won't allow you to set sub to no / mains to small anyway, so you might not even have that option, which is a way of dummy proofing the setup.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your help. I will be getting the receiver soon and I will read the owner's manual thoroughly. Any questions will be directed to the pros here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis