4ohm or 8ohm setting with 6ohm speakers

J

jstankov

Audiophyte
Hi all, I am new here and just wanted to ask a quick question about my garage system.

I have two 6 ohm tower speakers and the settings on my amplifier are for either 4ohm or 8ohm speakers. I am wondering which would be the better setting for the 6 ohm speakers. Thanks in advance!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all, I am new here and just wanted to ask a quick question about my garage system.

I have two 6 ohm tower speakers and the settings on my amplifier are for either 4ohm or 8ohm speakers. I am wondering which would be the better setting for the 6 ohm speakers. Thanks in advance!
What are the amplifiers you are referring to? If you are you using a receiver to drive your towers, then you should set the impedance switch to 8 ohms. Otherwise, the 4 ohm setting will just reduce the power output rail voltage and you will lose adequate power to drive your speakers:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
8 unless they are really 4 ohm speakers in disguise. :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
8 unless they are really 4 ohm speakers in disguise. :)
Even if they are real 4 ohm speakers with lower impedance figures staying at 4 around ohms, several AVRs nowadays can drive them. It's a different situation if their impedance goes down to 3 ohms or lower at frequencies below 500 Hz.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Leave it at 8. My PSBs dip into the 4ohn region and I leave the impedance switch to 8 ohms.
Read this to make you feel better

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis