B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
Going from Marantz AV 7005 to thinking about the AV8805.

I am going to be using 77" LG C9 OLED for home theater pc, gaming rig duty and want to run high frame 4k resolution content and not be limited by frame rates or bandwidth on anything. Pretty sure I will need

Leaning towards the 8805 because it seems to have some great components sound quality wise. It is waaaayyyy more preamp than I will ever use though with regards to channels, calibration etc... I liked some of the connected features like Spotify, XM radio support as I use these but typically run that thru my hometheater pc with some visualizations going on the screen. I am running 5.1 and really don't see myself doing much with height and width channels more less 13.2 !? Or calibrating for more than one listening position?

Pretty sure I will need to upgrade my Cambridge 650BD too. I love the analog section on that player.
I am hoping their CXUHD is a good choice if I like the sound of the analog section of the Cambridge.
This doesn't use DAC's to reduce noise? The 650BD the better unit for listening to CD's? Thinking may need to keep it for just that if that is the case.

Want to buy once cry once for a while on both player and preamp.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I went from the 7005 to the 8805, it was a pretty big improvement. How the 7705 compares i dont know though. I only use a 5.1 setup also, well 4 subs now but still .1 i suppose. Since you are into gaming with it the ability to be upgraded with a new HDMI 2.1 board in a year or so might be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Going from Marantz AV 7005 to thinking about the AV8805.

I am going to be using 77" LG C9 OLED for home theater pc, gaming rig duty and want to run high frame 4k resolution content and not be limited by frame rates or bandwidth on anything. Pretty sure I will need

Leaning towards the 8805 because it seems to have some great components sound quality wise. It is waaaayyyy more preamp than I will ever use though with regards to channels, calibration etc... I liked some of the connected features like Spotify, XM radio support as I use these but typically run that thru my hometheater pc with some visualizations going on the screen. I am running 5.1 and really don't see myself doing much with height and width channels more less 13.2 !? Or calibrating for more than one listening position?

Pretty sure I will need to upgrade my Cambridge 650BD too. I love the analog section on that player.
I am hoping their CXUHD is a good choice if I like the sound of the analog section of the Cambridge.
This doesn't use DAC's to reduce noise? The 650BD the better unit for listening to CD's? Thinking may need to keep it for just that if that is the case.

Want to buy once cry once for a while on both player and preamp.
It is a major upgrade from a 7005 to 7705 but there shouldn't be much different from 7705 to 8805 at all, in terms of potential sound quality improvements. So imo not worth the extra money if you are not going to use the additional features of the 8805.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While Audyssey isn't really about calibrating multiple seats particularly, XT32 is an improvement over XT, plus with the SubEQ feature has the ability to set level/delay for two subs independently....if that's important to you. Otherwise doesn't seem you're using much of the feature set....

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
While Audyssey isn't really about calibrating multiple seats particularly, XT32 is an improvement over XT, plus with the SubEQ feature has the ability to set level/delay for two subs independently....if that's important to you. Otherwise doesn't seem you're using much of the feature set....
Probably will be using the SubEQ feature for the (2) JL F113's
Got a good price on the AV 8805 from a local dealer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Got a good price on the AV 8805 from a local dealer.
It's not Joe, is it? :eek::D

I'm sure the Marantz AV8805 is a fine AVP, just like the Yamaha CX-A5200 and Anthem AVM-60.

You upgraded to Dolby Atmos yet? Got 4 PSB Ceiling speakers in the ceiling yet?

Oh yeah, play some 4K/Atmos/DTSX movies through your HTPC/AVP. :D

Last edited:
E

Erod

Audioholic
I'll chime in that my Anthem AVM60 is my favorite component I've ever bought of any kind. In terms of AVRs and preamps, I've owned Sony, Denon, Marantz, B&K, Integra, and Anthem. Both of the Marantz receivers I've owned crapped out on me in just a few years, but that was long ago (5001 and 7001). Still, the sting will never allow me to buy them again. I know others like them.

I love the simplicity and quality of the Anthem. It just does what it's supposed to do, and it sounds perfectly accurate all the time. Rarely a hiccup, although I bought well after launch and the gremlins were worked out.

I also like that they don't release receivers/preamps all the time like clockwork. They release new models when there's a substantive reason to do so, and continue updating the ones they have out. They seem to be hibernating right now, probably waiting for HDMI 2.1and ATSC 3.0 to mature, not to mention the whole immersive audio and HDR evolutions going on.

Love my AVM60, and it'll be there until the AVM70 or whatever the call it is ready.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@M Code might comment on this, and just stating the facts here, but the Anthem AVM60 is made in Vietnam, Marantz 8805 is made in Japan, and I think the Yamaha CX-A5100/5200 is made in Malaysia.

Not sure if country of production or assembly as much to do with reliability anymore. I think overall design/layout/implementation have a lot more influence on reliability.

As for sound quality, I think they can all sound great, depending on the setup.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
@M Code might comment on this, and just stating the facts here, but the Anthem AVM60 is made in Vietnam, Marantz 8805 is made in Japan, and I think the Yamaha CX-A5100/5200 is made in Malaysia.

Not sure if country of production or assembly as much to do with reliability anymore. I think overall design/layout/implementation have a lot more influence on reliability.

As for sound quality, I think they can all sound great, depending on the setup.
Hmmm, good question...
IMHO...
AVR reliability is a crucial issue, starts with:
  • Stable hardware design
  • Debugged/validated firmware
  • Utilizes quality internal components
  • Comprehensive, HDMI/HDCP certification
  • Quality oriented staff/team & assembly location

The challenge today is that the majority of home theater CE products are assembled by subcontractors, not in factories owned by the primary brand. For example, Inkel (Sherwood) factory in Vietnam assembles AVRs for Denon, Marantz and others @ 1 time they were building 75% of all brand Dolby surround AVRs. NAD, Anthem AVRs are assembled by Anam in Vietnam who used to build the Marantz, Harman/Kardon but now concentrates more on price-point low/mid-range integrated amplifiers for NAD, Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon, Marantz selling largely to Europe, Asia and Oceania destinations. Also note that Anam also just opened a 2nd factory in Vietnam mainly building BT loudspeakers and sound bars. As I have posted multiple times, in my opinion supported by real-world statistics, Yamaha AVRs are the most reliable AVRs. They own/control the entire development, parts procurement, certification, mass-production, quality-control processes for their branded AVRs built in their own Yamaha owned factories in Malaysia. However do note that the entry-level, Yamaha branded integrated amplifiers are built by Anam in Vietnam.

1 other point a key reason, Vietnam is a popular location for a CE factory besides slower labor costs is due to certain global trade agreements that allows exports to be tariff-free. This exists today for Europe, but unfortunately this was nixed as the TPP agreement for North America was vetoed by Trump.

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm, good question...
IMHO...
AVR reliability is a crucial issue, starts with:
  • Stable hardware design
  • Debugged/validated firmware
  • Utilizes quality internal components
  • Comprehensive, HDMI/HDCP certification
  • Quality oriented staff/team & assembly location

The challenge today is that the majority of home theater CE products are assembled by subcontractors, not in factories owned by the primary brand. For example, Inkel (Sherwood) factory in Vietnam assembles AVRs for Denon, Marantz and others @ 1 time they were building 75% of all brand Dolby surround AVRs. NAD, Anthem AVRs are assembled by Anam in Vietnam who used to build the Marantz, Harman/Kardon but now concentrates more on price-point low/mid-range integrated amplifiers for NAD, Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon, Marantz selling largely to Europe, Asia and Oceania destinations. Also note that Anam also just opened a 2nd factory in Vietnam mainly building BT loudspeakers and sound bars. As I have posted multiple times, in my opinion supported by real-world statistics, Yamaha AVRs are the most reliable AVRs. They own/control the entire development, parts procurement, certification, mass-production, quality-control processes for their branded AVRs built in their own Yamaha owned factories in Malaysia. However do note that the entry-level, Yamaha branded integrated amplifiers are built by Anam in Vietnam.

1 other point a key reason, Vietnam is a popular location for a CE factory besides slower labor costs is due to certain global trade agreements that allows exports to be tariff-free. This exists today for Europe, but unfortunately this was nixed as the TPP agreement for North America was vetoed by Trump.

Just my $0.02... ;)
Do you know the reason why the entry-level Yamaha Integrated Amps are built in Vietnam, but all other Yamaha's are built in Malaysia?

Yamaha doesn't care as much about their entry-level integrated amps? :D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Do you know the reason why the entry-level Yamaha Integrated Amps are built in Vietnam, but all other Yamaha's are built in Malaysia?

Yamaha doesn't care as much about their entry-level integrated amps? :D
IMHO...
Since Anam has lost the higher AVR qtys from Harman/Kardon, Marantz then Anam management decided to hold on to the integrated amplifier product category by working on closer profit margins. Also even though integrated amplifiers are a major category in terms of units sale volume it is significantly smaller than the AVR category. Anam is able to design/assemble integrated amplifiers more efficiently by combining all of the mentioned brands than the primary brand can do on its own. Additionally integrated amplifiers are less advanced product category without the burden of more complex hardware/HDMI/HDCP software compared to an AVR..

Just my $0.02... ;)

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
It's not Joe, is it? :eek::D

I'm sure the Marantz AV8805 is a fine AVP, just like the Yamaha CX-A5200 and Anthem AVM-60.

You upgraded to Dolby Atmos yet? Got 4 PSB Ceiling speakers in the ceiling yet?

Oh yeah, play some 4K/Atmos/DTSX movies through your HTPC/AVP. :D
No on the atmos.... maybe (4) 4000 ULF's with the 6000W upgrade option first...
I saw they discontinued the Synchrony series ... why :(

I have not gotten to play with it too much yet. Have ran Audysesey XT32. Ran ARO on my JLF113's before hand and discovered one making weird random noises and about half output (pretty sure its 1 or 2 bad caps in there.)
Got my JLF113 in at the doctor for what I think are some Capacitor problems.
Will send over my other one to get done too for preventative maintenance afterwards.

I did try the HEOS app and hooked up Spotify to it and Sirius, it sounded like absolute poop.
Not impressed with that side of things.
Will be using my Home Theater PC for streaming music to it here if I cannot figure that out.

No, it was not Joe!!!
Wonder what he is up to these days.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No on the atmos.... maybe (4) 4000 ULF's with the 6000W upgrade option first...
I saw they discontinued the Synchrony series ... why :(

I have not gotten to play with it too much yet. Have ran Audysesey XT32. Ran ARO on my JLF113's before hand and discovered one making weird random noises and about half output (pretty sure its 1 or 2 bad caps in there.)
Got my JLF113 in at the doctor for what I think are some Capacitor problems.
Will send over my other one to get done too for preventative maintenance afterwards.

I did try the HEOS app and hooked up Spotify to it and Sirius, it sounded like absolute poop.
Not impressed with that side of things.
Will be using my Home Theater PC for streaming music to it here if I cannot figure that out.

No, it was not Joe!!!
Wonder what he is up to these days.
Curious, how old are your JL subs?

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
2012 !? Got invited to my first 40th birthday party here recently. :oops:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
2012 !? Got invited to my first 40th birthday party here recently. :oops:
So the JL are 7 YR old and having defects?

Might consider externally powered subs so that you don’t have to worry about these electronics inside the subs.

A friend of mine is having to replace a 2nd Amp for is SVS sub. He will sell the SVS sub and get externally powered subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis