4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Tenet last night. What an amazing movie. Another Nolan classic. Will rewatch very soon.
You liked it, huh? :D

I guess I was expecting more. But it seems quite similar to "Interstellar", which I absolutely loved.

Time-Space Continuum, Theory of Relativity. Then he added Thermodynamics (Entropy), except in REVERSE. :D

I think this movie will confuse the heck out of most people. And it's not because the concept is complex. It's nothing new.

Definitely not a bad movie. But I was expecting more. :D

Oh, and, of course, I gave Nolan NEGATIVE points for not shooting the movie in at LEAST a 4K Digital Camera (I expected 8K Digital) and not using Dolby Atmos or DTSX for the soundtrack. Very NEGATIVE. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You liked it, huh? :D

I guess I was expecting more. But it seems quite similar to "Interstellar", which I absolutely loved.

Time-Space Continuum, Theory of Relativity. Then he added Thermodynamics (Entropy), except in REVERSE. :D

I think this movie will confuse the heck out of most people. And it's not because the concept is complex. It's nothing new.

Definitely not a bad movie. But I was expecting more. :D

Oh, and, of course, I gave Nolan NEGATIVE points for not shooting the movie in at LEAST a 4K Digital Camera (I expected 8K Digital) and not using Dolby Atmos or DTSX for the soundtrack. Very NEGATIVE. :D
Yeah, I love Nolan movies. They aren't your normal Hollywood blockbuster. He puts thought into his writing and directing and has creative control of his movies. I love that he's a traditionalist. So to me, I don't mind that he doesn't shoot in 4-8k. I do love that he films in IMAX. Yeah, maybe someday he'll jump up to Atmos mixes. But his 5.1's are insanely good. Batman, Inception, Interstellar and Tenet all sound flipping amazing in my theater.

I know a lot of people had trouble hearing things throughout, but I have to be honest, I really didn't have that much trouble. I was able to hear everything just fine. Another amazing soundtrack from Nolan's team. Just a fun movie.

I was reading through some of the reviews on IMDB and I think most people just don't like the fact that they would have to watch a movie twice to kind of understand what's going on. Majority of movie goers want everything wrapped up in a bow 1 time and be done with it. That's understandable. I like that too, but I also like these weird thinking movies. I'm definitely going to rewatch this one multiple times in the next year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I love Nolan movies. They aren't your normal Hollywood blockbuster. He puts thought into his writing and directing and has creative control of his movies. I love that he's a traditionalist. So to me, I don't mind that he doesn't shoot in 4-8k. I do love that he films in IMAX. Yeah, maybe someday he'll jump up to Atmos mixes. But his 5.1's are insanely good. Batman, Inception, Interstellar and Tenet all sound flipping amazing in my theater.

I know a lot of people had trouble hearing things throughout, but I have to be honest, I really didn't have that much trouble. I was able to hear everything just fine. Another amazing soundtrack from Nolan's team. Just a fun movie.

I was reading through some of the reviews on IMDB and I think most people just don't like the fact that they would have to watch a movie twice to kind of understand what's going on. Majority of movie goers want everything wrapped up in a bow 1 time and be done with it. That's understandable. I like that too, but I also like these weird thinking movies. I'm definitely going to rewatch this one multiple times in the next year.
Yeah the DTS-HD MA soundtrack for Tenet sounded great - as long as I don't use DSU or NeuralX. :D

So this was one of the rare cases where I did NOT use NeuralX or DSU. On his other movies (Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, Inception, Dunkirk, etc.) I always used NeuralX and it sounded awesome.

But for Tenet, both NeuralX and DSU sounded overcooked and way too hot compared to all the other movies I've seen.

So while watching Tenet, I used used plain old DTS-HD MA, which sounded very good. But it could have sounded awesome with Atoms or DTSX.

As for his preference for old analog 70mm films, I can understand if it looks better and cost a lot less than the 8K Digital Cameras. But I heard that analog 70 mm IMAX costs a lot more to shoot and to transfer to master digital than using 8K Digital Cameras.

Of course, it's his prerogative.But using something that costs more and isn't any better than 8K Digital makes no sense to me.

As for the movie itself, we can see that the ratings are slipping and heading the wrong direction. Tenet is the lowest rated Nolan movie.

Of course, not all the ratings are accurate, like with Star Wars and Avengers and a lot of movies. :D

But I think it's accurate for Nolan's movies, which are usually Superb.

IMDB Rating:
Tenet 7.6
Dunkirk 7.9

Interstellar 8.6
Inception 8.8
Dark Knight Rises 8.4
The Dark Knight 9.0
Batman Begins 8.2
The Prestige 8.5
Memento 8.4

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Pacific Rim 2013 4K Dolby Atmos.

Last night I re-watched this very cool movie. :cool:

PQ: The picture quality is awesome, of course. This movie was shot with the 5K Resolution Red Epic Dragon Digital Camera. Beautiful colors.

SQ: Atmos overhead effect is awesome. A lot of cool overhead sound effects. A lot of bass. A lot of monsters and giant robots.

Fantastic PQ and SQ, very cool movie.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Pacific Rim 2013 4K Dolby Atmos.

Last night I re-watched this very cool movie. :cool:

PQ: The picture quality is awesome, of course. This movie was shot with the 5K Resolution Red Epic Dragon Digital Camera. Beautiful colors.

SQ: Atmos overhead effect is awesome. A lot of cool overhead sound effects. A lot of bass. A lot of monsters and giant robots.
I’ve seen it but didn’t know the tech specs when I first watched it. Wasn’t it one of the first movies to be totally shot in 5k? I want to own it just for the tech specs. It’s not a terrible flick, but nothing special.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah the DTS-HD MA soundtrack for Tenet sounded great - as long as I don't use DSU or NeuralX. :D

So this was one of the rare cases where I did NOT use NeuralX or DSU. On his other movies (Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, Inception, Dunkirk, etc.) I always used NeuralX and it sounded awesome.

But for Tenet, both NeuralX and DSU sounded overcooked and way too hot compared to all the other movies I've seen.

So while watching Tenet, I used used plain old DTS-HD MA, which sounded very good. But it could have sounded awesome with Atoms or DTSX.

As for his preference for old analog 70mm films, I can understand if it looks better and cost a lot less than the 8K Digital Cameras. But I heard that analog 70 mm IMAX costs a lot more to shoot and to transfer to master digital than using 8K Digital Cameras.

Of course, it's his prerogative.But using something that costs more and isn't any better than 8K Digital makes no sense to me.

As for the movie itself, we can see that the ratings are slipping and heading the wrong direction. Tenet is the lowest rated Nolan movie.

Of course, not all the ratings are accurate, like with Star Wars and Avengers and a lot of movies. :D

But I think it's accurate for Nolan's movies, which are usually Superb.

IMDB Rating:
Tenet 7.6
Dunkirk 7.9

Interstellar 8.6
Inception 8.8
Dark Knight Rises 8.4
The Dark Knight 9.0
Batman Begins 8.2
The Prestige 8.5
Memento 8.4
I’ve been looking forward to Tenet. I’ve read that despite Nolan and his firmly dug in heels, it’s an exceptional track. Like I’d expect of course.
But when looking at your list. I was reminded of Dunkirk. A film I enjoyed very much. EXCEPT a the soundtrack. It’s so full of clipping(measured) that it’s unbearable. I thought my shitt was blown up! Even at lower volumes which is why I investigated it to see if anyone else reported that. Sure enough, many people did, but surprisingly many others loved it and said they detected NO distortion. It even won awards for its soundtrack. SMH.....
Anyway, Tenet will get a spin here soon. Maybe in DTSHD-MA. Or not...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve been looking forward to Tenet. I’ve read that despite Nolan and his firmly dug in heels, it’s an exceptional track. Like I’d expect of course.
But when looking at your list. I was reminded of Dunkirk. A film I enjoyed very much. EXCEPT a the soundtrack. It’s so full of clipping(measured) that it’s unbearable. I thought my shitt was blown up! Even at lower volumes which is why I investigated it to see if anyone else reported that. Sure enough, many people did, but surprisingly many others loved it and said they detected NO distortion. It even won awards for its soundtrack. SMH.....
Anyway, Tenet will get a spin here soon. Maybe in DTSHD-MA. Or not...
I get the feeling there will be even MORE measured CLIPPING in Tenet than in Dunkirk! :D

It is really OVERCOOKED. :D

Just watching Tenet in DTS-HD MA plain (No upmixing to NeuralX or DSU), I did enjoy it. It is extremely lively and hot. I'm sure my subwoofers really loved being put to use.

This could be a movie for testing subwoofer capability. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I get the feeling there will be even MORE measured CLIPPING in Tenet than in Dunkirk! :D

Just watching Tenet in DTS-HD MA plain (No upmixing to NeuralX or DSU), I did enjoy it. It is extremely lively and hot. I'm sure my subwoofers really loved being put to use.

Test your sub with this little gem. Great movie too! Crank it up!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve seen it but didn’t know the tech specs when I first watched it. Wasn’t it one of the first movies to be totally shot in 5k? I want to own it just for the tech specs. It’s not a terrible flick, but nothing special.
Definitely nothing new about this movie. But just fun watching giant monsters and robots battle it out.

And it's a great movie for Atmos Sound demo and showing off your 4K Projector!

Yeah, one of the first movies back then to use 5K Digital Cameras. It's gonna look awesome 20 years from now with no degradation unlike analog films.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Ugh... I hope not. I hate that about Dunkirk. Curious, do you find the clipping irritating?
Anyways, I think my subs will enjoy Tenet as well. Just bought myself John Wick 3 also. Missed it in the theater unfortunately, but I feel a binge is in order!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely nothing new about this movie. But just fun watching giant monsters and robots battle it out.

And it's a great movie for Atmos Sound demo and showing off your 4K Projector!

Yeah, one of the first movies back then to use 5K Digital Cameras. It's gonna look awesome 20 years from now with no degradation unlike analog films.
It is a great popcorn movie. I remember going to see it in theaters. We chose the 3D/DBOX presentation. It was like getting bounced around inside of the robot. One of the best times I ever had at the movies. I bought the 3D blu-ray and then the 4K blu-ray. Still have fun watching it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It is a great popcorn movie. I remember going to see it in theaters. We chose the 3D/DBOX presentation. It was like getting bounced around inside of the robot. One of the best times I ever had at the movies. I bought the 3D blu-ray and then the 4K blu-ray. Still have fun watching it.
Yeah, Pacific Rim is simply a FUN movie that looks awesome (thanks to 5K digital) and sounds awesome (thanks to Atmos).

It's a movie I will most likely watch over and over and over again.

There are other movies that are considered much better in terms of plot and all that. But I won't be watching most of them more than ONCE. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Assassins Creed 2016 4K ATMOS.

PQ: Great. 100% better than Wonder Woman (35 mm analog) and 50% better than Tenet (70mm analog). :D

Assassins Creed was shot using the 6.5K Resolution ARRI Alexa 65 Digital Camera. So PQ is amazing.

I just can’t believe that in this day and age, big $200+ million movies like Star Wars, Tenet, and WW84 are still being shot using analog films.

SQ ATMOS: Not the most active OH sound effects, but made some good use of ATMOS. Overall pretty ice soundtrack, not lame like WW84 or Overcooked like Tenet.

I think it’s a fun cool movie that I can re-watch many times.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
What movie you guys talking about? they got a new popcorn movie out?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@Trebdp83 My son give me the hookup on this Apple 27" iMac. He was going to give it me, but he lost his job two months ago. So I was at his home yesterday we did a online look up and found some sites that will buy iMac's this one goes for 700 to 1k or more. He has one of those Alienware PC's he likes it better than this iMac. So I give him 300 bills for it. He got it from BestBuy at the end of 2015 he paid 2k new for it. So umm if I may ask, any good sites you know of that I can Rip music from?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hey there, sorry to hear about your son's job. New Year comin', new opportunities so best of luck to him. Great deal on your iMac. Been looking to get one here soon myself. I've actually never ripped music from anything but my own CD collection into my PC or car. Still have lots of them to go. I use streaming services these days to play music that I don't have on disc. You enjoying the iMac?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hey there, sorry to hear about your son's job. New Year comin', new opportunities so best of luck to him. Great deal on your iMac. Been looking to get one here soon myself. I've actually never ripped music from anything but my own CD collection into my PC or car. Still have lots of them to go. I use streaming services these days to play music that I don't have on disc. You enjoying the iMac?
So far great! i have a IPhone so it was very easy to sync, yeah he lost his job cause of that virus sh$t he got house note wife child 9 years old sure hope he finds something. Thanks for the kind words bro, most everything down here in the South is oilfield related so there's nothing kicking right now. I haven't had home PC since 2014 just been using my IPhone this is much better on my eyes for sure.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Snowpiercer S01E08 4K/Atmos (6K camera).

Wow. Extremely intense and way beyond the point of no return. It seems like the entire E08 was “on the edge of your seat”.

I was too busy trying to catch my breath and heartbeat to pay any attention to the Atmos sound. :D

Getting close to season finale - 2 more episodes. They have renewed season 02.
Snowpiercer was one sick fcking movie. I suffered nausea for hours after watching it. Wish i had never seen it

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
One of my favorite movies of all times, Live, Die, Repeat. It's about this Captain in American army keeps dying he comes back to life. Star is Tom Cruise, and it's got these Monsters that are real nasty! It's a bit funny
Not his best movie. From my understanding this 4K 8K thing is you still gotta be sitting in the so called "Sweet Spot" In order to tell a difference with your eyes. According to the experts sitting outside the sweet spot your just as well stay with 1080P/i.
I am so not a videophile. Give me the good ol film grain and "The Good, Bad n Ugly" Clint Eastwood spaghetti. UHD 4k movies look like documentaries on national geographic or something. Don't really feel like a movie anymore.

I recall watching Predator with Arnie Schwartz in it decades ago and boy was it good. I just recently saw it in 4k UHD. It felt like a fcking documentary.

Am i the only one who feels this way about 4k UHD???

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis