sierrab

sierrab

Audiophyte
I recently acquired a set of mint condition JBL SCS 178 5.1 speakers and now need a suitable amp/receiver. From what I have seen so far, only Yamaha make receivers that are capable of driving 4 ohm speakers (????) and also that this years release of Yamaha receivers are not up to the standard of previous year models. So for a beginner, which of the previous years Yamaha models I should be looking for either in "end of line" stores or on ebay?

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
All of this depends on your budget and space for components. I would personally go with a reciever that has preouts get an external amplifier. Another thing to consider is blue ray capability of the reciever if you have a BR player or plan to get one at some point.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Those speakers are 4 Ohm with an 86db sensitivity. I'd have a look at the Marantz receivers on closeout at AC4L. They'll drive a 4 Ohm load better than an equivalent Yamaha will. Another good option is an HK receiver; every HK including the new ones have robust amp sections. Forget about stated specs for receivers as how they do on the bench is what counts. What features do you need and how much are you willing to spend on a receiver?

sierrab

sierrab

Audiophyte
All of this depends on your budget and space for components. I would personally go with a receiver that has pre-outs get an external amplifier. Another thing to consider is blue ray capability of the reciever if you have a BR player or plan to get one at some point.
For the time being it will have to be a receiver only (no power amps) as I have just spent a load of money on my stereo separates. For future reference does anyone make just a 5.1 receiver pre-amp as it seems a bit daft to buy a component with 5 power amps that I am not going to use if I decide in the future to go a separates route. Back to the present and realistic time I guess a max of €400 or less if it is in the second hand or end of line market place. AS for Blu Ray I don't have a Blu Ray player, just a DVD player and VHS player. I have yet to look at players

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
In that price range, HK, Marantz, and Denon are the only ones I'd dare hook those speakers up to. Maybe an Onkyo. Give the HK x54, Denon xx10, and Marantz xx03 serires a look.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, there are a number of manufacturers who make preamplifiers, though most are not in the same price range as the typical receiver. There are a few that are quite reasonable from Internet Direct companies.

I know for a fact that all Marantz receivers state they do not support loads lower than 6 Ohms, but I have run 4 Ohm speakers off even lower models without issue. It all depends on how much volume you expect to get, as 4 Ohm speakers draw a lot more current which means less total headroom for the same SPL.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd pick up an HK AVR 247 or 254 from the Harman Kardon store on Ebay.

They go for 200 to 250 shipped.

You can win a 247 with a best offer of 180

sierrab

sierrab

Audiophyte
In that price range, HK, Marantz, and Denon are the only ones I'd dare hook those speakers up to. Maybe an Onkyo. Give the HK x54, Denon xx10, and Marantz xx03 serires a look.
So much for my research!! I had come the conclusion that as Yamaha were the only manufacturers that had machines that were specifically built with an option to choose 4 ohm speakers, I had to have one of theirs. Yet in the replies, no-one even suggests Yamaha. Is there something wrong with them? I know how difficult it is to evaluate stuff as for years I had my Sumo pre and power amps hooked up to Electro Voice speakers. I recently changed to much cheaper Alexis speakers, because I wanted to hang them and the EV's were too heavy and I actually prefer the new sound I am getting.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
So much for my research!! I had come the conclusion that as Yamaha were the only manufacturers that had machines that were specifically built with an option to choose 4 ohm speakers, I had to have one of theirs. Yet in the replies, no-one even suggests Yamaha. Is there something wrong with them? I know how difficult it is to evaluate stuff as for years I had my Sumo pre and power amps hooked up to Electro Voice speakers. I recently changed to much cheaper Alexis speakers, because I wanted to hang them and the EV's were too heavy and I actually prefer the new sound I am getting.
For some reason, there is a lack of love for things Yamaha around here...or at least a tendency to it. I'll go on record as saying you will enjoy your speakers endlessly using a Yamaha receiver. I run my RX-V2500 in 7.1(2) mode with speakers that dig down to almost 2 ohms (6 ohms nominal)! (Aerial 7Bs) The unit never runs hot and never hiccups...even at reference HT volume.

EDIT: That said, I think the other models recommended in your thread would also be adequate.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not a lack of love. But I don't know where to get good deals on Yamaha receivers. If you got a place please share it.

Yamaha makes good receivers. They have really nice DSPs from what I'm told too.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Not a lack of love. But I don't know where to get good deals on Yamaha receivers. If you got a place please share it.

Yamaha makes good receivers. They have really nice DSPs from what I'm told too.
LOL, I cannot share it. When I bought mine, there was an authorized Yamaha dealer selling the RX-V series online/ebay (against Yamaha rules). They got caught apparently, and are now dealing Denon instead. ;) I got a GREAT deal on the 2500.

But I'll wager the OP can wrangle a pretty good deal out of the Audioholics e-store.

DSPs...yes...excellent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis