4:3 on laser projector ... HELP

S

shushan

Audiophyte
hi there,
i'm gonna use a Sony VPL-PHZ10 Laser Projector on an outdoor event
the scale i'll need is a 4:3 because of stage size at the vanue
my Q : what is the restitution and export format i'll need to use with this kind of laser monster
thanks
Shushan

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Keep in mind, this isn't all that bright of a projector, and any light that falls outside your aspect ratio will be wasted.

Look at the manual here:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_9864.pdf

If you are using 4:3 aspect ratio, then everything should be created or output from a computer at 1600x1200 resolution.

This should be used 100% after dark on a screen of about 200" maximum or so. Smaller size will be a brighter image and viewable with more ambient light.

Just of note, nothing really...
I wouldn't call any projector a 'Monster' until you get beyond 50 pounds in weight and 10,000+ lumens. There are literally over 250 projectors shipping right now with 4,000-7,000 lumens of brightness and 1920x1200 resolution. Starting at about $1,500. Under 50 with 9,000-12,000 lumens and a starting price of about $9,000.

S

shushan

Audiophyte
thanks for the clear great info and explanations

i'm a bit concerned with what you've mentioned about the power of this projector.
the event will not be in 100% dark and screen size will be about 8 by 6 meters
what would you recommend doing if that's the strongest projector i can get at this point?
thanks for the time and advicing

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's going to be over a 30 foot diagonal? That's over 432 square feet of screen space. This projector is horrendously underpowered and I don't have a solution for you. This is a cinema sized screen in a space which isn't at all a cinema. To be clear, theaters use $100,000+ projectors, but they can get away with $5,000 projectors for advertisements and such because they have good light control.

You will lose about 1,000 lumens because you aren't using the full 16:10 aspect ratio.
In a COMPLETELY dark space, about 6,500 lumens would be required for an acceptable image. If the projector delivered every single actual lumen (unlikely), it would still fall well under the minimum recommendation for a home theater environment.

In reality, a 10,000-15,000 lumen projector, from a rental, would be a requirement. I might consider getting something off of eBay that is native 4:3 aspect ratio to begin with, has a few years on it, and is MUCH brighter if a rental isn't available. Really though, I don't have good ideas here. This projector is a solid boardroom projector for a 120" screen. It's not going to work on a screen 9 times that size. In reality, this just calls for a multi-projector setup and a couple hundred grand to do right. I'm guessing that isn't practical.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis