3805 + 5900 + D-Link = ?????

J

Jack

First I'd like to join the chorus of those who have expressed appreciation at the in-depth reviews and set up tips found on this website. With regard to the Denon equipment I recently purchased (3805 and 5900) the information is better than what the local Denon reps have provided.

My confusion has to do with the D-link connection. As I understand it, with these two pieces of equipment I should be able to connect them with one RJ45 cable using the D-link connection on both machines and experience digital bliss. In other words, I should be able to play back any existing DVD or CD format without having to resort to analog cabling or other involved programming of either machine. The reviews of the 3805 and the 5900 on this site are not consistent in this regard but I assume it is because the 5900 was reviewed before Denon got the license to send SACD signals through the D-link. The more recent 3805 review indicates that this issue has been resolved.

So:
1. My 5900 says it has D-Link SE and the 3805 indicates D-Link 3rd generation. My dealer assured me that I have the latest firmware so, in my thinking, that means the 5900 should be D-Link 3 not SE. I assume that the change between 2 and 3 is only some sort of firmware upgrade to allow the SACD signals through so that fact that it says SE on it does not necessarily mean that it is not upgraded. Correct?

2. If both machines have 3rd gen D-Link is it correct that all I have to do is plug in the d-link cable and enable D-link via the software in both machines to be able to play all DVD and CD formats?

Thanks for any help.

D

dubsac

Audiophyte
I also have the 3805 and 5900. It is my understanding that Denon is still awaiting approval on SACD via Denon Link. I think the only way to listen to CD/SACD in the meantime is via an analog connection. One of the admins posted in another thread that they will hve an answer from Denon within the next couple weeks as to when (if?) they will get approval.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis