360 Failure rate approaching 33%?

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
add me to the list. My XBOX 360 makes images appear green when playing DVDs and starting a few days ago it gets the 3 red lights. Heat issue? thats a cop out IMO. I've had one of those Ntercooler fans on the back of mine since day 1. most of the time the lights show up for me the instant i turn it on. Green then Red before it even starts up.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
I tend to believe this article. My brother called me about 2 months ago and told me his 360 failed to boot up after only about 9 months of use. After he sent it in to get it repaired, UPS lost the package on the way back (around a week or two ago). Microsoft failed to insure the package and he had to wait a few more days to see what they were going to do about it. After numerous calls to Microsoft, (during the largest call volume days because it was the week the announced the new warranty), they decided to ship him a brand new unit. He originally had purchased a premium unit but was told that they didn't know what system model would be shipped. He is still waiting on his new unit. Further, 3 people that I know, (friends and family) have had to send there 360 in to get fixed. At least Microsoft is addressing the issue more but it is a shame that articles like this don't hit the mainstream.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
Well...Microsoft got me.

Woke this morning, 9-8-07, and started a pot of coffee, went to go play a game of Madden 08 and behold, the 3 Red Lights of Death (3RLoD).

So, mine lasted exactly 252 days. Bought it on 12-30-06. Manfuacture date of 8-9-06.

I babied it. Played it about every other day, on average, over that time period. Rarely gaming sessions over 3 hours long happened. Maybe 5 times total. Very well ventilated. No other heat generating component withing 2 feet of it.

So I began my 1-800-4MY-XBOX journey...spoke with 2 foreign CS people, one a normal rep and the other a supervisor who I think was just a different rep and not a supervisor at all. Both read from scripts so strictly, I can say I have enver conversed with someone who was so unable to talk for themselves. I think everything was read to me...everything.

Oh well, now I must decide if I keep my repaired 360 when I get it back in 4 weeks or if I trade it/sell it and get a PS3.

$#%*!!!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Oh well, now I must decide if I keep my repaired 360 when I get it back in 4 weeks or if I trade it/sell it and get a PS3.

$#%*!!!
At this point, with this record-making lack of reliability, I would not use a 360 if it was given to me free of charge. I would sell it on eBay immediately and use the funds to help purchase a PS3.

-Chris

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
At this point, with this record-making lack of reliability, I would not use a 360 if it was given to me free of charge. I would sell it on eBay immediately and use the funds to help purchase a PS3.

-Chris
Unless, of course, you really, really, really, wanted to play Halo 3 like many of us! :eek:

P.S. I'm on my Second X-Box now.....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I think this Comic best sums up how the console war is going...

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I got my XBox roughly 5/06 and it went dead roughly 12/06. I had read about the problems though and went ahead and paid extra for an additional warranty on the unit [back in 5/06].

I ended up taking the unit back the same day that Microsoft's first warranty extention hit so it didn't kill the extra warranty on the unit.

NOTE: Because of the high failure rate the store had changed its policy of doing an in-store swap and would only do the RMA for you. After whining like a little girl for an hour or so I eventually walked out with a nice shiny XBox though :)

Also Note: Even with the silly-high failure rate the XBox 360 has more games that I'd actually want to play so at this point I'm not particularly regretting my decision.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I got my XBox roughly 5/06 and it went dead roughly 12/06. I had read about the problems though and went ahead and paid extra for an additional warranty on the unit [back in 5/06].

I ended up taking the unit back the same day that Microsoft's first warranty extention hit so it didn't kill the extra warranty on the unit.

NOTE: Because of the high failure rate the store had changed its policy of doing an in-store swap and would only do the RMA for you. After whining like a little girl for an hour or so I eventually walked out with a nice shiny XBox though :)

Also Note: Even with the silly-high failure rate the XBox 360 has more games that I'd actually want to play so at this point I'm not particularly regretting my decision.

Have your 360 get the 3RLoD right after you get Halo 3...then try not to be irate.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Have your 360 get the 3RLoD right after you get Halo 3...then try not to be irate.
If that happens to me I'll be very upset... I'll be on my way over to Best Buy to exchange my 360 so fast it's not even gonna be funny.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I'll TRY not to be irate ... But honestly if it goes down for Halo 3 or Mass Effect I'll have to do some more whining to see if I can get another in-store swap out.

N

naisphoo

Banned
Another thing to keep in mind, as you cruise different forums you will find most of them have a thread relating specifically to Xbox 360 failures.

Now why is that? Is it because their owners love to beat up on their own machine?

I thought about starting a PS3 /Wii complaint thread just to keep things even.
Free country America is so go ahead but do you even own a PS3 or a WII? I'm pretty sure as a xbox 360 owner you must be very happy with a 33% rate failure in this case good luck!! Any other company that puts out a such crappy product with this kind of failure rate would be subjected to lawsuits and bad press from any newspaper or sites such as Audioholics. But no...because it's Microthing that the general press and internet sites such as this one don't write a full article about this crappy company and its business practices. Go figure.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
So, today I get my 360 Coffin.

Get home from work, take my 360, put it in the box, head out to the local UPS Store (we have one within a mile of my house, luckily).

Mind you, this UPS store isn't even 4 months old.

As I walk in the door, the guy behind the counter shouts "Let me guess...Xbox 360 repair return?"

All I can do is laugh. He chuckles, says sorry. His co-worker, older guy probably around 60, comes over and says "Man, if I had $10 for every one of these I've sent back I'd be a millionaire."

At this point, I puke a little in my mouth, get my receipt and head back home.

How hasn't Microsoft been Class Action Sued for a full recall yet?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Well my Wii died a couple of months back. But then again it was a power outage that fried it. Nintendo sent me a brand new one so it was a happy ending.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis