$300 Speaker Question

C

Crescent_Hawk

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Allright people, time to kick the newbie.
&nbsp;I bought a set of booze 201's about 10 years ago and thought that they were decent speakers.
&nbsp;I have decided to get some new ones and my budget is at most $300. &nbsp;Not one dime more. &nbsp;I will be stretching it at that. &nbsp;The 201's will be shifted to rear channel. &nbsp;I only have outputs for front, center and rear on my reciever. &nbsp;Any help would be greatly appreciated. &nbsp;Thanks</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
O

oldguy

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I've heard some good things about Fluance Speakers, although I have not heard them.  

http://www.fluance.com/index.html

The AV-HTB are $199 + Shipping -- direct from company.  I've seen them a little cheaper on Ebay.  Will keep you below your budget and sell your 201's on Ebay.
</font>

C

Crescent_Hawk

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I'm sure the 201's are at least good for surround, I would think. &nbsp;Most of the time when you hear bad things about booze they are usually talking about most of the more expensive stuff.</font>

<font color='#000080'>Definitely put your money into two speakers, forget the center channel. $300 won't get you much, but I've heard some decent Infinity speakers in that price range. Sound Advice used to carry them (to audition). If you happen to think about buying from them, remember that prices are negotiable - regardless of what they tell you. Just walk out and come back later...</font>

C

Crescent_Hawk

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Ok so far my list includes Fluance and Infinity. &nbsp;Thanks guys.
</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>You might call the Hi-Fi shops in your area and ask if they have any speakers on consignment. You’d be amazed at the deals you can get. &nbsp;If you find some be sure to check that all the drivers work before paying.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/ns555.html

Defintely worth listening to and closely matching your price range.</font>

C

Crescent_Hawk

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for more replies guys. &nbsp;I will be checking back to see what else is available.
</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>You can usually pick up some Monitor Audio Bronze speakers for around that price. &nbsp;IMO the Bronzes give awesome sound for the money. &nbsp;I have a pair of floorstanding Bronze 3s in my 2nd system (they are the forerunners to the Bronze B series out now) and they sound fantastic, with superb bass for the size &amp; price.

The Abolute Sound raved up the Bronze 2s, which are nice looking 2 way 6.5&quot; bookshelves, saying that if they cost $1k they'd be a good deal. &nbsp;They actually retail for $400, and can often be found around $325 new. &nbsp;Definately worth a listen.</font>

C

Crescent_Hawk

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thank you as well Rob.

Man, I can't believe I didn't get gang banged for owning some booze speakers.  That is truly amazing to me.

Another thing that is funny is how the forum changes B.o.s.e. to booze.
</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>There are a few nice monitor type speakers you can get for under $300....actually under $200 leaving you enough to get a few DVDs too.

One of my favorites, mostly since I own one, is the Dayont Loudspeaker/Parts-Express BR-1 ($140). &nbsp;It's a kit speaker, and does require soldeirng skills, but at leat to me seems to be a better speaker then the klipsch SB-3. It is rather inefficient however, but makes upfor it with extended bass response and a nice warm sound that goes well with my Yamaha RX-496. &nbsp;There is a very small midrange coloration that is hard to notice unless you are really loking for it, plus for a $130 set of speakers I can't complain about something that minor

Another I only heard in a display, but seemed to be a good value was made by athena, forgot the model, but it was $150 at a best-buy. &nbsp;It did make everything else there look rather bad, including the SB-3 once again.

I do like klipsch, but I just feel they might need to make some lower priced models to keep up with some of the newer products that offer a higher standard of performance for the cost than before.</font>

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>For $328 you can try Ascend Acoustics CBM-170. &nbsp;Great reviews from customers AND &quot;professional&quot; reviewers. &nbsp;Great company to deal with as well.</font>

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3ti.html

$275.00

You don't get better value than that. Period.</font>

C

Crescent_Hawk

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks people, &nbsp;I really appreciate all of the responses here. &nbsp;As soon as I decide which ones I will let you all know.
</font>

whitese

whitese

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>AAD which is Phil Jone's new line has some inexpensive speakers,,,AAD speakers
Also check www.audiogon.com for some used stuff...there are a lot of very well recieved monitors for under 300bucks.</font>

2x6spds

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I had a pair of Infinity Composition Overture 3 speakers (almost $3000). I auditioned a pair of Axiom M3Tis (now available at about $270 for the pair). The Axioms are better. I sold the Infinities, and haven't looked back.</font>

H

Hondaman

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>If you are stuck on new then you have some great choices to pick from already. Axiom would be my choice.
On the other hand, the on line auctions have many more choices in this price range and you could get a steal on a much better set. As always, buyer beware and be sure to look deep into feed back rating or previous sales of any on line vendor. You never mention the size or available power so I can't make much of a recomendation but there are some great Yamaha speakers at auction now and generating little interest so final prices could be bargins.
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis