2nd TV and how to wire it.

E

EddieJ

Audiophyte
Hi,
I'm on the verge of buying a 32" Sharp LCD for our bedroom. The only thing holding me back is I want to make sure my connection issues are resolved so I don't end up with a TV on the wall that doesn't perform to it's capabilities.
In the living room I have an HD satellite receiver with the component output going directly to the existing TV. I would like to split the component line and run the one to the existing TV and one to the new TV in the bedroom. From what I've gathered to this point I can buy a 'splitter/amp' and run both cables succesfully. Does this sound reasonable? Or should I just get another tuner and put it near the new TV? I've also learned I can by RG-6 cable x 3, put rca connectors on and this will work as well as high priced brand name cables. Will this work?
Next to the DVD player. I was told my the Circuit City guy that I'll need a player with up-converter and HDMI to get true Hidef. Is this true or is he just trying to sell me a dvd player.
I'm not a fanatic about this stuff but like anyone I want to do it right and get the most out of what I buy.
Thanks,
Ed

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver w/ Surround sound?

If you have planning on having an A/V receiver for surround sound in the main room, you could use it to switch multiple component video, svideo, and composite video sources to a single component video output. If you purchase a more expensive models, you can also get HDMI switching and connect the HDMI output to your new TV and the component video output to the 2nd TV without the need for splitter and amplifier boxes. Don't forget, you will also need to get audio to the 2nd TV via a digital (coax or optical) or analog connection.

Yes, RG-6 with RCA connectors would work great for component video, digital coax audio, or analog audio cables.

With your new TV, you will want at least a progressive scan (480p) player. You might also see some benefit from an upscalling version but if the scaler in the DVD player is better than the one in your TV. For one of these, check out the Oppo Digital for $200.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis