2nd Subwoofer question

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I was just given an older Design Acoustic passive 10" sub with high level inputs. I took it apart, and it has a large crossover, baffling, a port, and dual sets of wires to the voice coil (I assume this is a dual voice coil woofer). I would like to add this to my existing HT Denon/Polk setup. If I hook this between my two front Polks, will I be reducing the ohms, or simply cutting out whatever frequency the crossover is set at in the DA passive sub? I've hooked this sub up to my two channel music system, and this sub shakes the house and rattles the windows. WAF is very low. It's a pretty large sub. What's amazing is that my two channel system runs off an early 1990's Yamaha 45 wpc receiver. I guess these older passive subs have very high spl levels. More interestingly, I have a BASH 350 watt rms sub amplifier that I had originally planned on installing on the rear of the Design Acoustic passive sub. I don't think I need it though, based on the output of the two channel experience. I've also considered running it off a separate channel or zone. Any opinions as to the optimum way to add this second sub?

Here's some photos of the sub next to my RTi10 and existing 12" XSUB, along with the extra BASH amp sitting around.

Attachments

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Powered subs, whchever inoput is uses, present a vety high impedance load.

Buckeyefan 1 said:
I was just given an older Design Acoustic passive 10" sub with high level inputs. I took it apart, and it has a large crossover, baffling, a port, and dual sets of wires to the voice coil (I assume this is a dual voice coil woofer). I would like to add this to my existing HT Denon/Polk setup. If I hook this between my two front Polks, will I be reducing the ohms, or simply cutting out whatever frequency the crossover is set at in the DA passive sub? I've hooked this sub up to my two channel music system, and this sub shakes the house and rattles the windows. WAF is very low. It's a pretty large sub. What's amazing is that my two channel system runs off an early 1990's Yamaha 45 wpc receiver. I guess these older passive subs have very high spl levels. More interestingly, I have a BASH 350 watt rms sub amplifier that I had originally planned on installing on the rear of the Design Acoustic passive sub. I don't think I need it though, based on the output of the two channel experience. I've also considered running it off a separate channel or zone. Any opinions as to the optimum way to add this second sub?

Here's some photos of the sub next to my RTi10 and existing 12" XSUB, along with the extra BASH amp sitting around.
That's because the inputs are not going to a speaker, but the input of a crossover/amplifier which will send the lows to the power amp and t he highs right on out to the connected satellites.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
That's because the inputs are not going to a speaker, but the input of a crossover/amplifier which will send the lows to the power amp and the highs right on out to the connected satellites.

I'm not sure I follow you. The inputs on the DA (passive subwoofer) go to the crossover only, there is no internal amplifier. The lows from the crossover go to the DA's woofer, and the higher frequencies to the main towers. This is not a HTIB sub. These DA subs were used for two channel systems before 5.1 surround sound, and hooked between the receiver and the two mains. If the photos are confusing, I apologize. The last two photos are of a separate BASH amp that could be incorporated into the passive subwoofer. That is my dilemma. Since my first post, I connected the passive sub to one of the main speaker wires. The sub cannot keep up with my powered sub. Somehow my old Yamaha 2 channel puts out a better bass signal than the Denon. It must be the Bass Management in the Denon limiting the signal to the towers. I do have them set to LFE+Main and large, but it's still limited. Probably need to drop the cutoff to 40hz or just turn off the other sub completely to get this one to work. Amazing how much bass these new receivers cut out.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Musta got the pictures mixed up.

Passives would be different. Your amp sees the crossover, not the drivers.

I've used a passive sub and it stated it's impedance on the back and that's how the "system" (sub + sattelites) was accepted by the amp.

Your passive will NEVER be able to keep up with a powered sub. Times have changed within the last 10 years as far as subs and LFE goes. There was no dedicated LFE 10 years ago and most systems didn't have a lo passed "sub out" then. They were either full range L/R line level and/or speaker level.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis