2nd PB1000 or VTF 3 mk5

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I may add a 2nd sub soon, what everyone’s thoughts? BTW 2700 cubic foot room..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd tend to prefer a second identical sub for setup....

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m really looking for more output, the single pb1000 just doesn’t give me what I want. The pb1000 is about a year old.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on your intentions and budget, you could upgrade within SVS and perhaps add a second matching Sub with them. Or, switch out to Hsu. For your room size, the VTF2 would work well by all accounts, and perhaps you could do two. ;) The VTF 3 would be good as well, but with single subs, you'll be playing acoustics roulette.

I'll always push dual subs. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A second identical sub will add maybe 2-4 dB generally, perhaps up to 6 dB when placed within a quarter wavelength of each other....(so for 20 hz that 1/4 wavelength would be about 14 ft, but as you go up the frequency range that distance becomes shorter, 60 hz would be closer to 5 ft). If you really want to step it up in spl you might be better off with two new/larger/more powerful subs....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I’m really looking for more output, the single pb1000 just doesn’t give me what I want. The pb1000 is about a year old.
Give SVS a call and see if they would still let you trade that one in for a higher model.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I don’t like my PB1000 much, it’s corner loaded to give the output I want but a little boomy and muddy. I thought a 2nd would smooth it out and give me a little more gain but would it be enough? The VTF 3 I think would give me the gain but if it’s not smooth I know I’ll be disappointed. Dual PB3000’s would probably put a smile on my face but the cost is out of reach right now, how would dual VTF 2’s compare to dual PB1000’s or Dual PB3000’s?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Didn’t think they would do that, purchased from Magnolia.
Ahh, yeah, not sure how they'd handle that then. Can't hurt to ask them though, their customer service is great from what I hear.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I don’t like my PB1000 much, it’s corner loaded to give the output I want but a little boomy and muddy. I thought a 2nd would smooth it out and give me a little more gain but would it be enough? The VTF 3 I think would give me the gain but if it’s not smooth I know I’ll be disappointed. Dual PB3000’s would probably put a smile on my face but the cost is out of reach right now, how would dual VTF 2’s compare to dual PB1000’s or Dual PB3000’s?
One of these would work

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't hurt to ask.... (on the SVS upgrade thing despite the BB purchase).

The corner placement might be part of the cause of the boomy/muddyness....did you try other positions? Sub crawl? Measuring of any kind?

Last edited:
vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
One of these would work
Yes that will. Op can also email PSA customer service and asked about their upcoming TV1512 similar port tune to their TV1812.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
1. Always buy more bass than you think you need!

2. Check with SVS. Nothing beats a fail but a try.

3. Dual subs.

4. if it’s an option, keep the 1000 for another room. If not, try to sell it for half of what you paid = tuition!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Email Ed Mullen at SVS directly. If he knows your a forum regular, there’s a good chance he’ll make it happen for you. If you can, I think a PB/PC2K now would be worth an upgrade, and maybe the second later. IMO a second pb1000 won’t help. It’s just not as good as the 2000 and the peq should help tame the peaks, while still increasing output and extension. Iirc the PB3000 has better numbers than the vtf 2 so you’d have to step that up. It would still be cheaper than a pair pb3k’s though. I think the 2k route will be great, especially if Ed can hook you up. I’ve seen him help other forum guys so imo it’s worth a try. He’s a great guy.
@EdMullen

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Email Ed Mullen at SVS directly. If he knows your a forum regular, there’s a good chance he’ll make it happen for you. If you can, I think a PB/PC2K now would be worth an upgrade, and maybe the second later. IMO a second pb1000 won’t help. It’s just not as good as the 2000 and the peq should help tame the peaks, while still increasing output and extension. Iirc the PB3000 has better numbers than the vtf 2 so you’d have to step that up. It would still be cheaper than a pair pb3k’s though. I think the 2k route will be great, especially if Ed can hook you up. I’ve seen him help other forum guys so imo it’s worth a try. He’s a great guy.
@EdMullen
Looks like Ed uses a space in his name to tag.... @Ed Mullen

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis