$2k or less projector

J

justinmiller

Audiophyte
Hi all, I have been reading reading reading, and am about ready to finally make a purchase. I am looking to buy a 720p projector for a room with good light control (pretty much dark), but not so good placement options (I can't ceiling mount as the landlord isn't having it, so it will probably go on a table behind my couch). I am looking to spend $2k or less, and am torn between three models:

1) Sony VPL-HS60 - of the models I'm considering, this is the only one I've actually seen in action, and it's great. It could be brighter, but the contrast and picture are fantastic IMO, with minimal setup and tweaking.

2) Panasonic PT-AX100 - people seem to be leaving their wives for this projector, and I really like the zoom range and brightness. However I don't know how the contrast is in comparison to the VPL-HS60.

3) Optoma HD70 - seems to be getting great acceptance as well, and at half the price of the other two, it's hard not to want it to work out. :) Of course room placement options seem quite limited.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with more than one of these pj's and could relate how they compare? Any other pj's I should be checking out at this price point or a little more, say the Optoma HD7100? Thanks!!

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I'd add the Benq PE7700 to the list. I'm not sure on the price over there but I found a US website advertise it for US$1500 and you may get a better street price.

cheers:)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would go with the Panny or the Sanyo Z5. Either will deliver everything you want. My personal experience with the AE900 vs. Z4 was that the Z4 looked far better overall - much sharper. But the AE900 was brighter by a good bit. I would personally have gotten the Z4 for my dark setup. The Panny this year really boosts potential lumen output, but it seems the Z5 does a bit more than the Z4 did as well.

FYI: I don't freakin' understand your landlord. You have to put TWO screws into the ceiling which takes about 5 minutes to patch when you leave! Are you also not allowed to hang pictures? Geez, what if you put a shelf on the wall!?!? The apartment I rented I put up my plasma (4 bolts), projector (2 bolts), and some shelving (more than 4 bolts!) and there were no issues at all when I moved out. It is customary for patching/painting to occur when a tenant leaves a location. Heck - if it is a standard 'white' ceiling, you can have it patched and painted in under an hour - with most of the time spent sitting around waiting for spackle and paint to dry.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
BMXTRIX,

I am thinking about buying the Z4. Do you think there is problem with SDE from a viewing distance of 10ft on a 92'' screen? Thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think there is a problem with SDE at all. For me it virtually disappeared just a few feet away on a 100" screen. At 1.5x or greater screen width viewing, it should really disappear. But, the image is SHARP! Much sharper than I saw on the AE700 & AE900 models I had seen.

Dim, but sharp, vs. brighter but soft. I pick sharp as my preference and just turn the lights down and boost the screen gain.

Actually - I will choose to go DLP on my next venture and spend a bit more to get brighter and sharper. :)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I agree..

with everything BMXTRIX is saying/typing. I have the Z-4 in my bedroom mounted 10 feet away from a 92" screen. It looks fantastic. I sit about 12 feet away. Lighting has not been an issue, even when wifey turns on her light to read in bed. :cool:
The Z-4 in my living room has more lighting issues to deal with, but so far it has not been a problem. It's mounted 12 feet from a 106" screen. I sit 18 feet away.
DLP next time? Maybe. Depends on what's available when the time comes. I like to keep my options open. You never know what the next few years will bring. 1080P LCoS may be affordable by then.:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Uh - yeah... It's one of those things that is hard to get perfectly straight in a persons head.

The Z4 isn't dim - it just isn't as bright as the AE900. Likewise for the Z5 vs. AX100. These aren't dim projectors - and both are brighter than my current PT-L300U (Panasonic) from a few years ago. So, dimmer in comparson - not dim overall.

I have my hopes on the Optoma HD81 - but it is a pipe dream at this point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis