25ft Digital Connection

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I want to run a 25ft digital cable and want to know which would be the best for this length. Async USB, optical, or coax. I can place the DAC at my main stereo or computer.

Thanks for any input. I have done some internet searching but get mixed information. From what I can tell coax maybe the best bet but thought I would check with my fellow Audioholics.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I believe 15ft is the limit of USB transfer without an active solution.

Sound quality wise Optical and Coax will be equal. The Optical signal transfer will be 100% free from EM noise, though it is almost never an issue. That said, for Coax, you do want one with good shielding. Just pick whichever cable is cheapest.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I believe 15ft is the limit of USB transfer without an active solution.

Sound quality wise Optical and Coax will be equal. The Optical signal transfer will be 100% free from EM noise, though it is almost never an issue. That said, for Coax, you do want one with good shielding. Just pick whichever cable is cheapest.
Thanks for the input. Probably going with Blue Jeans coax to be safe.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I want to run a 25ft digital cable and want to know which would be the best for this length. Async USB, optical, or coax. I can place the DAC at my main stereo or computer.

Thanks for any input. I have done some internet searching but get mixed information. From what I can tell coax maybe the best bet but thought I would check with my fellow Audioholics.
If coax is the initial source output, use that and terminate it normally. If you have hum in the system from a ground loop, use a coax to optical converter- it's impossible to have a ground loop when using optical and it works great.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
If coax is the initial source output, use that and terminate it normally. If you have hum in the system from a ground loop, use a coax to optical converter- it's impossible to have a ground loop when using optical and it works great.
I have read optical can have issues with higher resolution 24/96/192 files over longer distances so I decided to try coax with good shielding. It seemed to be the most common. If I have issues I can try optical.

Thanks for the input.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have read optical can have issues with higher resolution 24/96/192 files
*cough*boolshit *cough *
Somehow fiber cable could be used for 100gbit connection, but not to carry 24/192 signal which needs a whooping 9mbps :)
Don't be silly. Optical cable would be best, coax 2nd best.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
*cough*boolshit *cough *
Somehow fiber cable could be used for 100gbit connection, but not to carry 24/192 signal which needs a whooping 9mbps :)
Don't be silly. Optical cable would be best, coax 2nd best.
Thanks. I used a ten foot optical cable for several years with no issue. I might just give optical a try since shielding is a non issue.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have read optical can have issues with higher resolution 24/96/192 files over longer distances so I decided to try coax with good shielding. It seemed to be the most common. If I have issues I can try optical.

Thanks for the input.
Over long distance, but 25' isn't terribly long. one of the worst things to do to an optical link is bending it tightly. The outside of the fiber isn't absolutely smooth and light has a habit where the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection, so it's best to keep it as straight as possible with no kinks, no wrapping it like an extension cord, no tight coils or tight bends.

RG59 or RG6 works fine for this, too- solid copper center conductor is easiest to work with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis