24x24 room, Need SVS owners advice

jpaul

jpaul

Junior Audioholic
Greetings,
Speakers: def tech towers, c-2 center and bipolar rear.
Will SVS pb-12 plus/2 work here? Will the SVS drain my system?
should I go with the def tech supercube 1 instead?
Whats my best choice? I only have one shot for a good system and
I need sound advice.
Thanks
JPaul

jpaul

jpaul

Junior Audioholic
What

Thanks, What I'm looking for is a comparing to the def tech subercube 1 or
my dilema is: should I go with the def tech supercube 1 because it is a part of the same speaker system and chance that it may not give me the
sound barrier effect I want or switch and go with the SVS sub which seems
that a lot of folks in the forum is using and seems to have powerful reviews
but I dont know if its a class D sub and will work with my speakers system
because it's made be a another manufacturer than my speakers and may not fit with them or may drain their power leaving my system with a poor sound.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The SVS sub uses a BASH class D amp.

Subwoofers don't have to match the speakers. They don't play frequency's high enough to contribute to the same "timber"

It also won't hog power. The subwoofer isn't pulling its maximum power all the time, just when it needs it.

To save some power, Run all your speakers small, even your towers. This way the amp won't have to work very hard to drive the bass drivers. Plus, you would only send bass to speakers that can go down to 20Hz @ +/-3dB.

To be safe though, you can put the subwoofer on a different outlet as the rest of your system. That or put your theater room on more then 1 braker, but thats more work.

SheepStar

jpaul

jpaul

Junior Audioholic
set up

Is it hard to setup the SVS? I have zero experience. I don't want to damage
the sub. This is a hard choice because I haven't heard the sub and I don't know anyone that has one. But, I want great sound with the sub.
The PB-12 plus/2 looks like the best choice but I'm still not sure.
Thanks
Jpaul

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jpaul said:
the sub. This is a hard choice because I haven't heard the sub and I don't know anyone that has one. But, I want great sound with the sub.
Thanks
Jpaul
If you have any reservations (which you seem to have) Email SVS and tell them your story, to the exact detail. They will recommend a subwoofer for you, and not try to push you up in price. They are honest guys and are very willing to help. No one can tell you more about that sub then the guy who made it ;)

SheepStar

Last edited:
M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I have a PB12-ISD with a larger room than yours. At less than 50% Gain, I have all the sub LFE or bass that you can only dream of.

Sure you can choose a second driver but what I'm saying is that one driver makes me very very happy.

jpaul

jpaul

Junior Audioholic
DIY sub vs SVS

What about building a sub? I read some post on this and they seem
to good. But, this may not be for the novice. I would want to jump into something blindly and make a mistake. adn would a DIY sub be just as good as the SVS?
Thanks

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
jpaul said:
Thanks
Jpaul
If you want to set up a sub (regardless of what you buy) it will take some time and patience on your part to get the very best sound in your room. Sure you can put it in one place and walk away, but if you take some time and play around with it, you can fine tune a sub to sound the best in your given environment. I played around with the variable phase settings for 3 days, which is very little time compared to others. Personally. I hope you go with the SVS brand as I think they are awesome!!!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Go with the PB-12 plus/2 if budget and space permit. IMO, that's the SVS sub to get if you have the room. There is no comparison to the Def Tech line of subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis