H

hchytd

Junior Audioholic
Sorry in advance for the double post...

I am not sure which forum would be best to put this.

--------------

Hi fellas

My girlfriends recently tasked me with the job of finding the best receiver and 5.1 (in-wall) surround system for @$1000 (total). The ladies have that as our budget and I cannot go over it. All products must be new (and ordered online).

Basically, that means I need a good A/V receiver, 4 or 5 good in-wall speakers, and perhaps an in-wall sub (for $1000). *Our surrority house is wired for it as to why we wish to go in-wall. I realize one cannot get a great system for this, but hopefully something that sounds decent.
Anyhow, I value all your input. Thanx again!

-Tiffany

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
hchytd said:
Sorry in advance for the double post...

I am not sure which forum would be best to put this.

--------------

Hi fellas

My girlfriends recently tasked me with the job of finding the best receiver and 5.1 (in-wall) surround system for @$1000 (total). The ladies have that as our budget and I cannot go over it. All products must be new (and ordered online).

Basically, that means I need a good A/V receiver, 4 or 5 good in-wall speakers, and perhaps an in-wall sub (for $1000). *Our surrority house is wired for it as to why we wish to go in-wall. I realize one cannot get a great system for this, but hopefully something that sounds decent.
Anyhow, I value all your input. Thanx again!

-Tiffany
Try this site:

http://www.ubid.com/Consumer_Electronics_Home_Audio_Receivers/c3871.html

Maybe start out with the Onkyo 603 or HK 140 receiver, then possilbly the Speco 8" 2 ways for decent low end out of a wall. I'm not sure you can add an inwall sub with that budget. You're better off with a Dayton 10" or 12" self powered sub.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_8961107_1/103-6859548-1828602?search-alias=aps&keywords=dayton subwoofer

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
SpeakerCraft AIM7 MT Ones can be had for $325 per pair. Which for 5 would run you 812.5 at retail. May be cheaper online but not through an authorized dealer. Won't leave much for a reciever but really good speakers for the price. Getting an inwall sub at that pricepoint is going to be next to impossible. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but not easily. Honestly I would look at going on-wall and getting a prebundled package like a home theater in a box. The Denon DHT486Xp is a complete system with receiver and reasonable subwoofer for $600 retail. Spend $100 bucks and get some wallmounts for the speakers and you've got a couple bucks left over for some DVDs and popcorn. Pretty good little HTiB system if I do say so myself.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
A girl! OMG, this thread will have SO MANY posts in it.

Remember the last time a girl asked for help? The thread was at 5 pages in 2 days!

Oh, BTW, welcome to the largely male dominated forum. :D

(don't worry, I'm only 18)

ANYWHO,

I don't know what you can get for 1000. Is this going to be for Home Theater or blasting party music? You will be hard pressed to find a AVR, Speakers, and possibly a subwoofer for 1g.

SheepStar

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Thats a hard budget, but by no means impossible (just impossible to get awesome sound, good sound yes)
With Buckeye's recommend sub, I would also look into these for speakers instead of in-wall
They are small on wall - LINK
Maybe even the first sub option with that link.

For a receiver I would look at this - LINK or maybe LINK

Audioholic review of one of those receivers - LINK

Both of them will produce plenty of power.

In-walls that are decent will cost quite some more money, you would be better with small on-wall.

Here are some in-walls to consider - (still within budget and would/should be a great set and comes with a subwoofer that is pretty darn good)
(795.00 and Free shipping is a great value for this set, THE CENTER CHANNEL IS AWESOME)
Yes, they are authorized dealer - LINK

Here is same set, but with one extra in-wall for the center (the other center would be worth it IMO)
Same set different center 699.00 and free shipping - LINK
(these people may not be authorized, but it is a good price)

This will leave you with 205.00-300.00 for a receiver. Which you can pick up some ok ones for that.
But just shop around a tad more, or use eBay...

(Those sets will not require a ton of power to get them at decent sound levels, so a bargain/budget receiver will be perfectly fine with them)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sheep said:
A girl! OMG, this thread will have SO MANY posts in it.
Only if the testosterone gets out of hand. Restrain yourself Sheep. ;)

Sheep said:
Remember the last time a girl asked for help? The thread was at 5 pages in 2 days!
Only because the testosterone got out of hand. :eek:

Sheep said:
(don't worry, I'm only 18)
That is what's worrying. :D

Hello again Tiffany. ;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister: spoken like a true gentleman.

My only problem is with your faulty logic: you assume that there is a testosterone level to begin with.

Allow me to clarify. This is not directed towards Sheep (since that is who you quoted). My point is as we are only identified by the name we choose to supply, with an IP address, we could be anyone, any age, any gender, etc. In any event, your point is well received.

hchytd (aka Tiffany): Yes, welcome back. I was just curious which pillar of higher education to which you have subscribed. Surrority is not a word...at least not in the English language. I would think a lass with such a beautiful name as Tiffany would know the correct spelling of sorority. Not only because she is in college, but belongs to one. The jig is up! Cheers.;)

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
The real ironlung

My name is ironlung

I'm female 23yo, 5'4" tall, 31D-18-33 measurements, 120 lbs, long dark hair and a soft spot in my heart for AV nerds. The thought of a man changing the bulb in his dukane makes me want to take my pants off. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM AV hunks.

PM for a good time

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
I've got a special soft spot for men that wear dresses and have strange accents.:)

Is that a shillaly under your kilt or are you just happy to see me?:eek:

S

skrivis

Junior Audioholic
Johnd said:
I was just curious which pillar of higher education to which you have subscribed.
Those who live in glass houses....

I think you need to go back to high school and brush up on your grammar.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, I live in a limestone and brick house...with glass appurtenances. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I'd be happy to buy you a beer and we'll chit-chat about it. I enjoy philosophical endeavors, even when it includes an opposing viewpoint.

However, I believe that you've confused my simple alert for an overly-pugnacious confrontation (that would serve no end). Pray tell, what was so difficult to understand in my post? Please amend my syntax so as to make the grammar correct. I simply find it incredulous that our sorority sister spells sorority "surrority". Period. Do you not?

I am not attempting to start Grammar 101 here at Audioholics, but the use of proper spelling and grammar makes for an easier read (for all). I guess I was only suggesting that "she" use spellcheck in the future (I would think this was a mandate for all of her courses at the U of ?). Either way, it makes for a more enjoyable (and easily understood) read. Why would anyone want to challenge that? I shall humbly await your syntax corrections in this post as well. Cheers.

Buckle-meister

Johnd said:
I guess I was only suggesting that "she" use spellcheck in the future...
Johnd, I can't help but get the impression that you're somehow aware that Tiffany is not a 'she', but a 'he'. Could you please confirm this either way, as I have a very unreasonable peeve about being lied to.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister said:
Johnd, I can't help but get the impression that you're somehow aware that Tiffany is not a 'she', but a 'he'. Could you please confirm this either way, as I have a very unreasonable peeve about being lied to.
Buckle-meister: I do not know for certain. But if you follow the threads in this vein (where others posted, but shall remain unnamed), it certainly seems like a half-hearted joke. I just find it impossible that one who claims to belong to a sorority, and is actively engaged in the pursuit of higher education, cannot correctly spell the word "sorority". That's a third or fourth grade vocabulary term, at least where I come from.

I posted my notice not as a display of pretentiousness, even at the risk of "living in a glass house." And certainly not one of rudeness. If it is a serious post, I extend my sincerest apologies to "Tiffany", and will allow others to exchange useful information, as I quietly bow out. But it just really reeks of a teenage (13 year old) prank. There are a number of teenagers here, and while I am happy to engage in discourse with most anyone, because everyone has something to offer, maturity and sincerity levels are not as they often appear (On Guard!). Testosterone and all that stuff...you know.

As a side note to my plaid-laiden, Scottish brother-in-arms: I was in Chicago last night, and sampled the best single malts that I've ever had the luxury to enjoy.
#1) a very limited edition, anniversary bottle of Dewar's
#2) a 27 year old special edition of Talisker (albeit it was a close second)
#3) Pyrate (it's rum, I know, but oh so smooth)

Cheers.

Buckle-meister

Johnd said:
I do not know for certain...
Thank you.

Johnd said:
I was in Chicago last night, and sampled the best single malts that I've ever had the luxury to enjoy...
Hmm. I'm not so keen on Talisker. Too strong for me. Still, 'twas a while ago that I tasted it...

That 27 year old Tomintoul is magic by the way, and a simply gorgeous colour. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis