2023 Confusion on Issue

A

art22

Audiophyte
Need some help with setting up new receiver (AVR) pioneer vsx 935 in 5.1.2
had the AVR a few months and it keeps showing a NOW INITALIZING, when turned on and will stay there on the screen for ever unless I reset by holding in the standby power for 5 sec to reset. AVR will not display on tv OSD or set the NETWORK input also, from home button on remote either need to reset the same way as above to work, I sent the unit in for repair think ing something is failing etc, the technician told me the AVR works fine in the shop no OSD, NETWORK issues and turns on to the network and all the inputs work correctly etc. He believes the problem is in my HDMI cable ( which is Mediabridge 18gbps 2.0 25 ft long, (Tech says way to long over 15 ft) Hdmi is installed thru wall from receiver to TV. I will take care to make changes as required but would like to do them once and for all ! Im listing my equipment below
Receiver - Pioneer VSX935 Wireless installed
TV -Sony XBR75X950G ethernet installed
TV mount- mantle mount 540
Streaming - Apple tv 4k 3rd generation ethernet installed
CD- Pioneer PDM703 analog orca installed
Sony Blu ray player 1080 with Hdmi output
Speakers Monitor Audio bronze 100
Kindly let me know your thoughts etc
art22

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Need some help with setting up new receiver (AVR) pioneer vsx 935 in 5.1.2
had the AVR a few months and it keeps showing a NOW INITALIZING, when turned on and will stay there on the screen for ever unless I reset by holding in the standby power for 5 sec to reset. AVR will not display on tv OSD or set the NETWORK input also, from home button on remote either need to reset the same way as above to work, I sent the unit in for repair think ing something is failing etc, the technician told me the AVR works fine in the shop no OSD, NETWORK issues and turns on to the network and all the inputs work correctly etc. He believes the problem is in my HDMI cable ( which is Mediabridge 18gbps 2.0 25 ft long, (Tech says way to long over 15 ft) Hdmi is installed thru wall from receiver to TV. I will take care to make changes as required but would like to do them once and for all ! Im listing my equipment below
Receiver - Pioneer VSX935 Wireless installed
TV -Sony XBR75X950G ethernet installed
TV mount- mantle mount 540
Streaming - Apple tv 4k 3rd generation ethernet installed
CD- Pioneer PDM703 analog orca installed
Sony Blu ray player 1080 with Hdmi output
Speakers Monitor Audio bronze 100
Kindly let me know your thoughts etc
art22
Why aren't you using an ethernet cable for the AVR when you do for the AppleTV and TV?

Go into the Pioneer's menu and turn off Automatic Update.

A

art22

Audiophyte
my conduit is getting pretty full have 2 hdmi and 2 cats and a is difficult to get to etc. my tv is installed on a mantel mount over a large fireplace, with the conduit ending in back of tv with the router and need to really take down tv to obtain access , but am willing to run the correct wires now! this for the reply

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The TV doesn't have a problem with displaying content, just the OSD? Also, what happens if you switch to the second HDMI output?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

my conduit is getting pretty full have 2 hdmi and 2 cats and a is difficult to get to etc. my tv is installed on a mantel mount over a large fireplace, with the conduit ending in back of tv with the router and need to really take down tv to obtain access , but am willing to run the correct wires now! this for the reply
The tech is right. That HDMI cable at 25" is far too long for current practice. For that length you need a hybrid optical/copper active HDMI cable. You will also need a voltage inserter so you don't blow the HDMI ports.

I recommend Ruipro, which is what I use, as I have a long run as well. A 10 meter cable is what you need.

Make sure you install the cable the correct way round. They are directional. The converter with the arrow pointing away from the end goes at the receiver end. The arrow pointing to the device goes at the TV. Then the correct converters are at the correct locations.

You absolutely should have your receiver wired to the Internet. Not doing so risks crashing your receiver, and having to send in to have the BIOS re-flashed.

You don't want tight wires in that conduit, so you need to bite the bullet and open up walls as you need to, to get this right. As always, engineering has to be right, and at its foundation is correct and robust installation.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thought on OSD, you realize that's not available for tv-based video content via ARC? Are your sources otherwise plugged into the avr? I do have that Mediabridge cable and works fine for me, but no 4k needs, just 1080p.

A

art22

Audiophyte
The tech is right. That HDMI cable at 25" is far too long for current practice. For that length you need a hybrid optical/copper active HDMI cable. You will also need a voltage inserter so you don't blow the HDMI ports.

I recommend Ruipro, which is what I use, as I have a long run as well. A 10 meter cable is what you need.

Make sure you install the cable the correct way round. They are directional. The converter with the arrow pointing away from the end goes at the receiver end. The arrow pointing to the device goes at the TV. Then the correct converters are at the correct locations.

You absolutely should have your receiver wired to the Internet. Not doing so risks crashing your receiver, and having to send in to have the BIOS re-flashed.

You don't want tight wires in that conduit, so you need to bite the bullet and open up walls as you need to, to get this right. As always, engineering has to be right, and at its foundation is correct and robust installation.
I will be, wiring the receiver to the internet, quick question do I need the 18 gbps or the 48 gbps the tv only displays 4k? but the receiver is 4k,8k. there is is big difference in price, Am I correct that I need ACTIVE not passive hdmi cable
Thanks in advance

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I will be, wiring the receiver to the internet, quick question do I need the 18 gbps or the 48 gbps the tv only displays 4k? but the receiver is 4k,8k. there is is big difference in price, Am I correct that I need ACTIVE not passive hdmi cable
Thanks in advance
At least 48 gbps, and that is marginal. I recommend 200 gbps or higher.

I told you the cables you need. Anything over 12 to 15 ft. now needs and active cable and voltage inserter. I provided links to what you need. Please read my post and click on the links.

A

art22

Audiophyte
i read your attachment it says clearly 18.2 Gbps in the AMAZON detailed specification ! now u say 48 Gbps is a MINIMUM and recommend 200Gbps
I don't get the conflict in statements or kindly clarify, not everyone is an A/V expert?
Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

i read your attachment it says clearly 18.2 Gbps in the AMAZON detailed specification ! now u say 48 Gbps is a MINIMUM and recommend 200Gbps
I don't get the conflict in statements or kindly clarify, not everyone is an A/V expert?
Thanks
Sorry I thought you were talking about your Internet connection. The gear in the links I posted are fine.

A

art22

Audiophyte
I just want to thank everyone for their input on my confusion! Update I got the AVR back from Tech Shop all works fine now replaced the HDMI wire as suggested by TLS Guy with inserter and Cat wire to complete all devices are now wired direct to internet. No more drop outs, OSD on demand picture quality is excellent. Again thanks to all for your help
Art22

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I just want to thank everyone for their input on my confusion! Update I got the AVR back from Tech Shop all works fine now replaced the HDMI wire as suggested by TLS Guy with inserter and Cat wire to complete all devices are now wired direct to internet. No more drop outs, OSD on demand picture quality is excellent. Again thanks to all for your help
Art22
Thanks for the follow up. You came to the place where it is right by design. You can also follow instructions. So now you have the result you wanted.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis