2014 $1000 Two-Channel Stereo Recommended System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Trying to be an Audioholic when you have a cash flow problem can be a challenge. But we all started somewhere and we aren't so far removed from those heady days of college that we can't remember what it was like to scrape together all your change to buy a new speaker or component. We asked ourselves a question - "If we only had a grand and wanted to buy a brand new $1000 stereo system, what would we get?" Here is the answer.

Read our 2014 $1k Two-Channel Stereo Recommended System

How would you like this system in a small room or den?Share your thoughts.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Excellent system to be honest. Some compromises like very low bass capacity of superzero's but with right room and setup this system will surely shine

Here's my humble take to shove a bit more value into about 1k stereo system:
Receiver: DENON AVR-E200 5.1 Channel 3D Home Theater Receiver | Accessories4less
CD: Onkyo C-7030 Compact Single Disc Player | Accessories4less
speakers: HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker | Wave Crest Audio
sub: SVS SB-1000 - 300 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Ultra Compact Sealed Subwoofer

with shipping and cables will probably be about $50 to $100 on top
Not lacking of compromises ether - like refub CD player. Extra $50 would get a new one or get a used from CL probably for $50 or so :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Does a $150+ dedicated CD player belong on this list? Especially, if using a receiver rather than an integrated amp. Any $100-150 BD player with WiFi will be just as good and one gets some of the network streaming features to play, albeit not elegantly, a digital media collection.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Does a $150+ dedicated CD player belong on this list? Especially, if using a receiver rather than an integrated amp. Any $100-150 BD player with WiFi will be just as good and one gets some of the network streaming features to play, albeit not elegantly, a digital media collection.
Have you ever tried to play a CD on a cheap blu-ray player? It's a painfully slow experience. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought about it.... as an alternative one could just get by with networked/usb receiver like this one:
DENON AVR-1613 5.1ch Networking Receiver w/AirPlay 3D ready | Accessories4less
It supports flac from usb/network - so should not sound any different than CD if correctly ripped in advance

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Gene,

Maybe you split the article into two recommend $1000 audio-centric setups;

1) Analog only, 2.0 - CD Player, Integrated amp, 2.0 Towers only
2) Analog, Digital, 2.1 - CD/DVD/BD Player (with network media streaming), AVR (primarily for bass management), 2.1 (Bookshelf+Subwoofer).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

Maybe you split the article into two recommend $1000 audio-centric setups;

1) Analog only, 2.0 - CD Player, Integrated amp, 2.0 Towers only
2) Analog, Digital, 2.1 - CD/DVD/BD Player (with network media streaming), AVR (primarily for bass management), 2.1 (Bookshelf+Subwoofer).
I added option to use a 5.1 Yammie or Denon receiver for future upgrades. The new Denon does wireless streaming from bluetooth.

If anyone has a solid Blu-ray recommendation that has fast loading for under $200 I can put that as alternative to the Onkyo CD Player. thx.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have to laugh when I read about the Hsu STF1 being large. Maybe I have lost perspective though. I suppose it can be considered large given the fact that most subs I see in people's homes are HTiB subs.

For a $1k two channel system, I would go for a used AVR. You can get a good older one with lots of inputs and outputs and a beefy amp. These are pretty common for a very good price since so many got dumped for AVR's with HDMI connectivity. For speakers, I would go for some Behringer 2031ps if they ever get restocked. Some Infinity Primus p363s at the $100 sale price is also a hell of a bargain. For the sub, I would be looking at that Reaction BPS 212. For a CD Player, I would just buy a used DVD player, lots of those on the used market.

One other thing that wouldn't be a bad two channel setup for $1k is simply a pair of powered monitors. There are lots of good monitors you can get for under $1k a pair, Tannoy, Mackie, KRK, Adam, etc. It wouldn't have the bass of a system with a good sub, but the sound quality would be unbeatable for the price. All you need to do is add a source. Here is a killer pair of speakers for under $1k.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The Yamaha R-S201 is the only thing that makes me scratch my head. This thing has questionable power specs that are not very clear on top of that it's only rated 40hz-20khz. Probably only puts out 50 watts from 20-20khz. The Onkyo TX-8020 or Yamaha R-S300 would be better options with more flexibilty and power specs that are more honest. (phono input / sub woofer output)

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
The Yamaha R-S201 is the only thing that makes me scratch my head. This thing has questionable power specs that are not very clear on top of that it's only rated 40hz-20khz. Probably only puts out 50 watts from 20-20khz. The Onkyo TX-8020 or Yamaha R-S300 would be better options with more flexibilty and power specs that are more honest. (phono input / sub woofer output)
I agree, better yet, the Onkyo TX-8050 can be had for under $200 ( I paid ~$130.0 direct from Onkyo). IMO it represents the ultimate value in stereo receivers: A quality amp., 4 digital inputs with 24/96 DACs, 7 analogue inputs including Turn table, Per-outs, and a plethora of streaming options including a customizable internet radio interface that can be setup with a total of 40 High Quality/high bit rate streams of your favorite music from v-Tuner, Tune in or Shoutcast. in addition to the abliyty to stream any of your computer/device music through DLNA on your home network. Nothing out there comes close.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Some alternates to consider.

The Teac CD-P650 CD player with a flash drive input & Burr-Brown DAC for $127.
Amazon.com: TEAC CD-P650 Compact Disc Player with USB and iPod Digital Interface (Black): Electronics
I did a mini-review, if interested. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/89242-does-2-1-micro-component-exist.html
I purchased mine at B&H Photo for $127 on sale but it has gone back up to $180. It also had a manufacture date of April 2014. I can't say what you'll get from Amazon since there were some issues early on. Knock on wood, mine is still going strong. I use it 2 hours a day, every day.

The DR Pro speaker stands are sturdier & better built than the Sanus models recommended in the article for $100. I own both, if you're wondering how I came to this conclusion. The only downside being there is no hidden wire chase.
DR Pro Maple Wood Studio Monitor Stand (Pair) MAPLE | Musician's Friend

I agree with shadyJ about picking up an older 2 channel/AVR and a pair of speakers on the used market. Do your research, demo & don't meet guys on street corners to complete the transaction. :D I have a Yamaha RX-V1070 that I'm putting up for sale ($200?) locally on Craig's List soon that puts the R-S201 to shame.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
One of the ideas I had dreamed up for this system was Aperion's Bluetooth Allaire powered bookshelf speakers ($399), along with a nice sub (say an SVS SB1000 @ $499) and a CDP. Can't expand to 5.1 later, but it'd make a nice "low profile" setup.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Look again. All over their website they rate it as follows:
70 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2-ch driven)

For the money it looks like a solid recommendation.

Also as a general note to all: We don't recommend used gear for these systems. You guys have to give that a rest!

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you ever tried to play a CD on a cheap blu-ray player? It's a painfully slow experience. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I do! I do!! Sorry Gene :p.... I use a Sony BDP-S360 and its actually not that bad. I would take the $150 saved on the dedicated CD player, rob your piggy bank to come with the difference to pick me up a ProJect Carbon and a cheap phono preamp. Other than that, solid recommendations with very little compromise for the listener.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
OK Guys so which Sony Blu-ray do you recommend? I have very little experience with their players lately. It has to be a current model offered on their website. Thx.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
OK Guys so which Sony Blu-ray do you recommend? I have very little experience with their players lately. It has to be a current model offered on their website. Thx.
I can't recommend mine as embarrasing as that it is. Its a 4 -5 year old model that even survived a basement flood. Slow as old get out in loading BluRyays but fairly quick with CDs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis