2008 Loudspeaker Roundup

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Some manufacturers keep a steady stream of products going to consumers. Others believe they have created the perfect loudspeaker and further innovation is impossible. We cover the former at this year's CEDIA Expo and uncover some enticing and exciting new models as well as some duds that may not see the light of day (not for long, anyways). Some of the exciting models included speakers from Yamaha, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, Sunfire and Earthquake Sound.

Discuss "2008 Loudspeaker Roundup" here. Read the article.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thanks Gene I am glad you guys stopped eating long enough to do some reviewing.......:D

T

TheD

Enthusiast
Umm... you made a mistake with the JL audio speakers, you said the bass drivers are from SEAs but they are clearly ScanSpeak Revelators.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
will stuff be added to this roundup? Gene/Clint/Tom, will there be coverage for the focal highend speakers?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Umm... you made a mistake with the JL audio speakers, you said the bass drivers are from SEAs but they are clearly ScanSpeak Revelators.
Great first post. Joined just to make a correction eh?;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Umm... you made a mistake with the JL audio speakers, you said the bass drivers are from SEAs but they are clearly ScanSpeak Revelators
You're right. I sometimes confuse the two companies. thanks.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
JL powered speakers @ 10 large? Wow that would be around $80K for a 7.1 set-up, including capable sub. I imagine they will be flying off the shelves?

Proof that there are companies who rest their laurels on people with more money than brains!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
JL powered speakers @ 10 large? Wow that would be around $80K for a 7.1 set-up, including capable sub. I imagine they will be flying off the shelves?

Proof that there are companies who rest their laurels on people with more money than brains!
Yes they are a bit spendy aren't they? People that can drop that sort of cash on audio equipment don't even break a sweat doing it. I am sure they will do well in that segment despite how niche it is.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I was wondering when JL would finally get around to making home theater speakers.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Yes they are a bit spendy aren't they? People that can drop that sort of cash on audio equipment don't even break a sweat doing it. I am sure they will do well in that segment despite how niche it is.
if i had that dough, i'd probably get those (yes no sweat)

but most who have that dough really are audiophiles ... i would think audiophiles hate 1) subwoofers 2) a subwoofer company MAKING speakers 3) even i have the impression, JL Audio = SQ car subwoofer (though high end) :D

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Good to hear somebody at Boston pulled their head out and are hopefully getting back on track! :rolleyes:

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
If I were really into the 2-channel thing, I'd be looking at all passive full range towers or the Mythos STS speakers. While I understand some of the advantages of an active speaker, it's not something I want for home theater. Running speakers cables to 5 or 7 speakers is one thing but then having to power them all is something I wouldn't want to deal with. I have the same objection to wireless speakers. I'd rather run speaker wires than power.

Jim

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Glad to see Boston Acoutics saw the error in their ways and got rid of the "lifestyle" mistake.

JL, $10K/speaker......more money than sense? I really hope this is part of a plan to trickle down technology to use mere mortals.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis