R

reels

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am looking at buying a reciever for my home theater. I have a budget of 2k, and would like to get some input for the best value for the dollar. I have listened to alot of Yamaha products lately, and I am also impressed with the Denons.

Basicly, I am starting from scratch and plan to buy a whole new system. Wife has give me a total budget of 5K to get it done. Does not include tv. Sound only.

Also, I see deals on line that are quite cheaper than the stereo stores, but I saw on Denons web site saying they will not honor the warranty of E-vendors. Can someone explain?

Thanks in advance.</font>

X

x94blair3

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Receivers I would recommend based on popular opinion:

Yamaha 2400
Pioneer Elite 55Txi
Harman Kardon AVR7200

I believe if you read enough forums you will find that all three of these receivers are highly regarded.

I've not yet found an online seller of Yamaha because I haven't been looking that close.  It's MSRP is $999.  I'm sure you could secure it for less.  I know of at least one authorized dealer of Pioneer you could get a hold of online that offers the 55Txi for around $1100.  I haven't checked pricing on the HK.

As far as warranties and online dealers, here's the low down:

Whether you buy online or from a local store, you want to make sure they're an authorized dealer.  If you don't, most manufacturers will NOT honor their factory warranty.  A lot of e-tailers are not authorized dealers and choose to sell their goods well below MSRP.  Most authorized dealers sell right around MSRP.  You can see the favor the manufacturers are doing for their sellers.  If you want the warranty and you don't do your research the retailers get a chance to REALLY maximize their profit margin.

However, if you read a lot of forums and pay attention, you can find B&amp;M shops to deal with online or over the phone that ARE authorized dealers and will sell well below MSRP.  This is the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your purchase.

-Nick</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Sometimes the best value for the dollar can be had from pre-owned shops that sell 2 year old stuff that could have been priced beyond your budget when new but is now priced at just a fraction of that. &nbsp;And people who had them, generally, are meticulous owners who, haivng been able to afford them, knew how to take good care of them. &nbsp;At least that is my experience here. &nbsp;Many wealthy audiophiles often upgrade in 18 months and their gears are very well maintained, ending in used AV or surplus shops that are priced almost a fifth of their brand-new MSRP. &nbsp; Unless you have preference for brand new stuff, perhaps you may want to check-out the pre-owned market by doing some research on the net. &nbsp;Just my 2 cents.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>With a 5K budget you can easily squeeze in Yamaha's top of the line RX-Z1 as well as good speakers like Yamaha's NS-8HX with matching surrounds or Paradigm, Axioms or Magnepan.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>That is what I was thinking. The Yamaha RX-Z1 with the Axiom 80 package.

Still stuggling if I want to pay $1000 more for a warranty. E-tailers are at around $1900 and authorized dealears are at $2800.

Anyone know a A.D. willing to deal for Yamaha?

Thanks.</font>

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>e-vendors are not all warantee-less - look at the Denon web site again, it says unauthorized dealer/E-Tailer - not ALL e-tailers.

Same is true for other vendors I'm sure. &nbsp;Give etronics a call and see if they are authorized.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Yamaha lists their e-tailers on their web site, one suggestion, since the introduction of Z-9, many impatient fools like me have got rid of their Z-1 or are in the process of doing so and this too with Yamaha's 5 year facotry warranty and e-bay has plenty of listings at a bargain, why not save some money and get then Yamaha MX-1 amp for your main channel which too is a great bargain listed at e-bay. Most RXZ1 on e-bay are only few months old and all carry the facotry 5 year warranty so that way you are fully safe.</font>

X

x94blair3

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
x94blair3 : As far as warranties and online dealers, here's the low down:

Whether you buy online or from a local store, you want to make sure they're an authorized dealer.  If you don't, most manufacturers will NOT honor their factory warranty.  A lot of e-tailers are not authorized dealers and choose to sell their goods well below MSRP.
I'm not sure if the comment that some e-tailers ARE authorized dealers was in response at my advice or not, but wanted to clarify my comments.  

There are authorized online retailers, and you can usually find a list on the manufacturers website.  I wouldn't want to misguide anyone.  You'll just find that most that sell online as auth. dealers charge close to MSRP like a B&amp;M shop would.

And the ones that say they're authorized and don't overcharge make me nervous

-Nick

P.S. Good like finding the equipment you want!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jacobja

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

Since you have a good budget, why not go for separates.

1. Outlaw Audio , they have a preamp and an Amp for $1600 total and with some extra cash you can even get 7 mono blocks with the processor.

2. Sherbourn, a little bit more expensive but you get so much more with separates.

Outlaw and Sherbourn are excellent companies, Outlaw only sells through the web.

You cannot go wrong, I have heard many times the Outlaw stuff and this far better than receivers. Myself have a Denon 5800 and are in the middle of replacing it with Sherbourn stuff.

Try it out, you have nothing to loose, you can try it and send it back if ou don't like the Outlaw stuff.

Regards
J2
</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I too would prefer the separates route.  You may also want to consider the Harman Kardon Signature line of separate pre/pro/tuner and mutli-channel amp.  I think you can have them for much less than $2T.  

I would invest in a very good set of stereo power amps, three for a 6.1 set-up, as well as speakers.  These two can easily outlast all the other components like players and preamps and need not upgraded so often.   That way you can always upgrade the preamp/rpocessor or players later on if there are new formats in the scene, or add separate decoders.  

On the downside, receivers like most flagship ones from Onkyo and Yamaha, are complex electronic gears where the chances of failure are mulitplied by their number of functions. &nbsp; &nbsp;Personally, I find their AM/Fm tuner sections totally irrelevant in the context of a home theater control center. &nbsp;(But i think they just throw that in as a freebie.) &nbsp;If only so much as one function or feature goes pfft, you had to bring the entire thing to the service center, all that 50lb++ behemoth. &nbsp;And if yuou had to upgrade later on, there's a good likelihood you may have to put that receiver aside to give room to a new one, unless there are pre-outs and main-ins and multi-chanel inputs for new formats in the receiver you are getting now. &nbsp;

On the upside, receivers simplify your HT or audio set-up. &nbsp;Is's an all-in-one control center that can form the heart of your system. &nbsp;

The yamaha RX-Z1 is well reviewed and seems to fit your budget very well at almost $2T from many online stores. &nbsp;I would not pressume to discourage you from your desire to get a receiver in this price range, &nbsp;I just hope to offer options that can fit into it which from my experience, tend to offer more benefits in terms of sonics and flexibility. &nbsp;Just my 2 cents.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks guys.

That is exactly what I am looking for, is what are the options. I have more homework to do, as I don't quite understand about the 3 amps, but I am learing.

I looked at the outlaws, and I am a bit worried about quality control. It seems a good number have had problems. That being said, they all said service was great.

Gosh, there is alot out there and my head is swimming... but it is exciting listening to all the great equipment out there!</font>

J

jacobja

Audiophyte

Yes, there was a &nbsp;time where Outlaw had some quality issues, but there a very onest and easy to get them fixed.

If you believe that the other brands have no issues, then I have to disappoint you. I have a good friend who works at a big High End Home/Hifi and Video store and some of the brands, they have a 20 % DOA and these brands are not small names. I cannot write names here but they are big Japanees companies.

Also do not forget the Rotel Stuff too.

REgards
J2
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks again for the replies.

Slowly narrowing it down.

Epic 80 speaker system minus the sub
SUS PCI20-39 Sub
Outlaw 950 and 770

Now down to a DVD in the $500 range, and cables. Any Suggestions?

Almost there. I will get the stuff on order next week, and hopefully running in two weeks.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>For what its worth...I called Yamaha here in California and the tech on the phone said simply...&quot;Yamaha will not honor any warranty on any Yamaha receiver or Hi Fi component purchased on e-bay...if you buy a receiver or any component with a &quot;new or remaining warranty&quot; and it needs work, take it (send it) back to the person from whom you purchased it and see what they will be willing to do about a warranty claim&quot;.

I'm just passing along the information I was given.
Mac Guy</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Just wondering that if the Z1 carries a 5 year warranty and the original owner passes on his original  receipt to the buyer, I dont forsee any problems here.

Correct me if I am wrong.</font>

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Gentlemen,

My concern is that if the original manufacturer's warranty is non-transferrable (which I believe is the case on almost all consumer electronics and speakers), then you will operating at your own risk that the former owner will be willing to take the time and effort to cooperate with you in trying to pursue a warranty repair claim with the manufacturer. &nbsp;The manufacturer's are pretty sharp - they will likely compare the name and ship to address with the original owner's name and address in an attempt to sniff out fraudulent warranty claims. &nbsp;

From what I've seen, most of the deals I have been interested in seem to always come from an area that is not a convenient driving distance from my home - thus further complicating any attempt to have the former owner make the warranty claim for you.

Just my two cents worth...

Stiletto Pat &nbsp;
</font>

J

jacobja

Audiophyte

It looks like go are going to have an excellent setup.

Here some advice on a DVD player.

It is the Pioneer DV 563A.

It plays DVD, SACD and DVD audio.
Here is a link related to the test.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/dvdplayers/1203pioneer/

The price is $ 250 USD.

P.S. Have you looked at the Definitive Technology speakers.
They have already subwoofers build in and are really great sounding speakers. Look at their website.

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powertower/powertower.html

The BP 2006TL as left and right ( comes with subwoofers build in), then a CLR 2002 and two BP1.2x is about 1800 USD MSRP but you can find it lower or go to a BP 2004TL or so.

Look at the rating and test, and I have the bigger brother installed in my house (BP3000TL) and it is the best sounding speaker for the money.

Have fun

J2

Good luck,
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis