2 year old Screen innovations Solo 2 screen kaput

C

chris6878

Audioholic
After going back and forth with SI for a month they told me they would only work with Magnolia, who I got the screen through. SO magnolia sent someone over to diagnose and the conclusion is a bad motor. SO a couple weeks later my Magnolia rep calls and tells me that because its out of warranty, which is 1 damn year, SI will not do nothing for me. THey will not even send a replacement motor. IM like WTF.

what a waste of damn money and the company will not stand by the product. So all SI owners, be on the look out for zero help from SI once your out of warranty in one damn year. My rep thinks they are getting parts from china. Probably alibaba.....SHAME

So Now im searching for a possible motor replacement. DOes anyone have any ideas?

If not im gonna have to buy another screen, and it definitely will not be SI again. They have definitely lost a customer for life.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You bought it with a one year warranty and expected something else? Or was the extra time communicating/dealing with Magnolia at cause for pushing you outside of warranty?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
How handy are you? You need to pull the motor out and confirm that it is indeed the motor and not the electronics. The electronics you might be able to have repaired locally. The problem is what type of motor was used? A plain motor can have its windings replaced by a motor and alternator repair shop (if they will do a small motor like that) but if the screen uses a stepper motor with built in electronics then you are likely SOL. You would have to find an exact replacement not knowing what the specs are on the current motor.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
You bought it with a one year warranty and expected something else? Or was the extra time communicating/dealing with Magnolia at cause for pushing you outside of warranty?
THey only offer a 1 year warranty. Magnolia is not at fault. I came home one day to put the screen up and the damn motor wouldnt move. THe screen was down for 2 weeks blocking my TV. SI sent a new charger, not free ofcourse, which didnt help. Magnolia came out to trouble shoot. Magnolia got the screen up a little more than half way before the motor crapped out again. It barely got the screen up that far.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
How handy are you? You need to pull the motor out and confirm that it is indeed the motor and not the electronics. The electronics you might be able to have repaired locally. The problem is what type of motor was used? A plain motor can have its windings replaced by a motor and alternator repair shop (if they will do a small motor like that) but if the screen uses a stepper motor with built in electronics then you are likely SOL. You would have to find an exact replacement not knowing what the specs are on the current motor.
THanks, Im trying to get SI to atleast tell me what they use. Ill be calling them today before they close for the weekend.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
THanks, Im trying to get SI to atleast tell me what they use. Ill be calling them today before they close for the weekend.
Eppie is correct. You need to do some trouble shooting. Most motors these days are powered from a power supply and control unit. The former are much more likely to fail than the motor.

You need to ask SI to send you are service manual. When you know what circuits and voltages are involved you can trouble shoot it with a meter.

These days, I would bet that this unit is more complex than you think.

I have been on the SI site. That screen has a lot of options. DC rechargeable, 24 volt DC, and 120 volt AC. There are a lot of control options, the most common chosen is a suspect the Somfy RS-485 protocol. This screen can also be configured for SMART home systems.

Do you know what options your screen came with? This will be important for service. I note this was a very expensive screen.

I note they do have a button on their site to get expert service, but obviously I have no idea if there is anyone near you.

This unit is complex and would well beyond the scope of Best Buy to service.

I would say that it is actually unlikely the motor is the problem. You have bought a very complicated product, and unless you are experienced in electronic repair, you are not going to fix it.

So you need to contact SI for service. The made and sold a costly unit, so they have a responsibility to service it. Usually Best Buy are usually helpful in assisting you with service from the manufacturer. Talk to the store manager.

Last edited:
C

chris6878

Audioholic
Eppie is correct. You need to do some trouble shooting. Most motors these days are powered from a power supply and control unit. The former are much more likely to fail than the motor.

You need to ask SI to send you are service manual. When you know what circuits and voltages are involved you can trouble shoot it with a meter.

Dang what I dont want to hear. For a screen that costs this much one would think it wouldnt be this difficult for the company to remedy the situation.

THanks much

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Dang what I dont want to hear. For a screen that costs this much one would think it wouldnt be this difficult for the company to remedy the situation.

THanks much
I have edited my reply. Go back and look at it again. I have found information about your screen.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Did you buy the screen with a credit card? Many credit cards offer extended warranties.

C

chris6878

Audioholic

I have been on the SI site. That screen has a lot of options. DC rechargeable, 24 volt DC, and 120 volt AC. There are a lot of control options, the most common chosen is a suspect the Somfy RS-485 protocol. This screen can also be configured for SMART home systems.

Do you know what options your screen came with? This will be important for service. I note this was a very expensive screen.

I note they do have a button on their site to get expert service, but obviously I have no idea if there is anyone near you.

This unit is complex and would well beyond the scope of Best Buy to service.

I would say that it is actually unlikely the motor is the problem. You have bought a very complicated product, and unless you are experienced in electronic repair, you are not going to fix it.

So you need to contact SI for service. The made and sold a costly unit, so they have a responsibility to service it. Usually Best Buy are usually helpful in assisting you with service from the manufacturer. Talk to the store manager.
Spoke to Si Friday, they said they are going to get with the best buy rep they work with to figure some out and will get back to me Monday. They are based in texas and I'm in Florida.

Yes this screen was very expensive so I definitely expect some kind of remedy for this.

Im no where close to being an electrician so I wont be messing with that. But SI should no that nothing is perfect and expect problems to arise.

THanks for your help

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Did you buy the screen with a credit card? Many credit cards offer extended warranties.
I used the best buy card for the 2-3 years no interest. That card doesn't have an ext warranty, My business card does

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis