2 processors into 1 amplifier

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
I currently have a home theater processor running into an amplifier over XLR, but I'd like to also run a separate 2-channel processor dedicated for music into the same amplifier over XLR as well.

Could I just pick up some splitters and run both processors into the same amplifier?

What issues might I run into with this?

Thanks!

For anyone that is a little more curious about my setup... I have a Marantz AV 7703 pre/pro currently have connected to an Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 amp which powers my 7.2.4 home theater. The setup is outstanding for movies, but I've been wanting to do some late night music listening in this room and I feel like I could do better for 2-channel Music than the Marantz pre/pro. The new processor I'm eyeing is the NAD C 658 that I would stream to via Roon. I currently have a Bluesound Node 2i in another room with a different setup and love it.

J

JStewart

Audioholic Intern
I think you’re good to go with that NAD. Look in the OM for home theater bypass functionality.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I currently have a home theater processor running into an amplifier over XLR, but I'd like to also run a separate 2-channel processor dedicated for music into the same amplifier over XLR as well.

Could I just pick up some splitters and run both processors into the same amplifier?

What issues might I run into with this?

Thanks!

For anyone that is a little more curious about my setup... I have a Marantz AV 7703 pre/pro currently have connected to an Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 amp which powers my 7.2.4 home theater. The setup is outstanding for movies, but I've been wanting to do some late night music listening in this room and I feel like I could do better for 2-channel Music than the Marantz pre/pro. The new processor I'm eyeing is the NAD C 658 that I would stream to via Roon. I currently have a Bluesound Node 2i in another room with a different setup and love it.
No, if you "just run splitters", the output of one processor will also be connected to the output of the other, not a good idea.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you think you can do better for music then take a look at your speakers. Swapping out electronics won't impact your sound quality. That's all in the speakers.

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
If you think you can do better for music then take a look at your speakers. Swapping out electronics won't impact your sound quality. That's all in the speakers.
Unfortunately, my Marantz receiver isn't a Roon Ready Endpoint and I want to use an actual Roon Ready Endpoint for my 2-channel listening.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately, my Marantz receiver isn't a Roon Ready Endpoint and I want to use an actual Roon Ready Endpoint for my 2-channel listening.
Roon Ready Endpoint...

I had to Google that. I almost never stream music so I was not familiar with it, tho I'm sure there are some folks here who are

I'm always learning new things here.

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
I ended up figuring out the answer to this and figure I'll post in case someone else has this question in the future... I wanted to run a Processor and a Streamer to my Amplifier simultaneously. The concern was that I wanted everything to turn on automatically and be seamless. In my research I found that there is a apparently a standard way to do this...

I'm running my sources into my Processor into the Streamer and then connecting that to my Amplifier.

My Processor is a Marantz AV7703.
My Streamer is a NAD C 658.
My Amplifier is a Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3.

More specifically:
- Processor pre-outs connect to Streamer's "Line 1" analog inputs
- Streamer's Line 1 is set to to Fixed Volume (-20 matches up in my case), Auto Sense which turns the Streamer on automatically if my Processor sends it a signal, and Analog Bypass which ensures the signal isn't processed and is passed through unaltered.
- Streamer's pre-outs and 12V trigger connect to my Amplifier

Now, I can open Roon or BluOS and stream to my NAD C658 and it powers on automatically.
I also can now turn on my TV which then powers on my Marantz AV7703 with HDMI-CEC automatically, which then powers on the NAD C658 within about 10 seconds of audio playing.

E

elybry

Audiophyte
I just purchased the C658 and have a Marantz AV7005. How did you handle the sub? Also, I can't see that it is uPnP compliant, is that true?

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
My subs have both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I ended up just running my AVP over balanced to the subs and the C658 unbalanced to the subs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis