2 Channel Receiver Recommendation

H

Hijakeroo123

Audiophyte
Hey guys! I am currently in the market for a basic 2-channel receiver to power a set of bookshelf speakers along with a subwoofer (which has both line level and speaker level connections). My budget limit is around $200. I am primarily planning to use this setup for music in an apartment, with occasional tv/movie usage. I am not necessarily looking for audiophile quality, but something that would sound cleaner than the Sony mini-system receiver I am currently using. No phono preamp or networking features are required, though I would take them as a bonus. I know that this is a complete tossup at my price point, but I hope to be able to get at least 3-4 service out of this receiver.

The following are in the running so far:

Yamaha R-S201 ($129, I really like the design of this receiver, but am not a fan of the spring clips on the back and many reviews I have read have claimed power supply issues with this particular model)
Onkyo TX-8020 ($199, I also really like this design of this receiver, but have heard that Onkyo has been plagued with reliability issues in recent years. However, most of these issues seem to be HDMI related, and mostly common on their AVR's.)
Sherwood RX-4109 ($99, Radioshack has these on a fire sale for $50, though the in-box receivers I saw in store were manufactured in Vietnam, which I have heard is often worse on the quality control front than even Chinese-made electronics)
Sherwood RX-4508 (Same Vietnam manufacture location as previous Sherwood, adds bluetooth)
Insignia NS-STR514 ($129, Rebadged RX-4508, but made in China and also adds bluetooth)

I have also considered a basic AVR in order to provide native bass management; if I decided to go this route, I would lean strongly towards a Yamaha or Denon. Let me know what your thoughts are, and please throw out any additional suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You say amp yet you list all receivers, which are similar, but different.

In any case, I have several friends that have the two channel Sherwoods (4105, same but with no phono section) and these have been doing yeoman service for quite a few years now. I'd say well more than five.

the beauty of these two channel receivers is the avoidance of any complexities regarding video switching, particularly HDMI issues.

H

Hijakeroo123

Audiophyte
Haha, I meant receiver; I must have had a brain freeze when I was writing this. I have corrected my original post. Also, thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
... something that would sound cleaner than the Sony mini-system receiver I am currently using.
If an improvement of sound is your ultimate goal, then replacing your electronics is not the way to do it. It's the speakers that make the sound. Did your bookshelf speakers and subwoofer come with your Sony mini-system? I doubt replacing the electronics will make them sound much (if any) different.

Put it this way: a typical speaker has a sensitivity of 87dB at 1 watt at 1 meter. That's 1 watt. If your speakers have that sort of sensitivity and your mini-system has 20 watts of output, that's still about 100dB of sound. If you get a different receiver, chances are, you're still going to be listening at less than 20 watts, even if you crank the volume high.

Unless your current receiver is fried or you're looking for added functionality, you should instead be shopping for speakers. These JBL Studio 230's would be a good choice, or perhaps these Athena Tech AS-B1's or these Infinity Primus from the classifieds (Alex has had them forever. He may be willing to ship now if you ask nicely and tell him a monkey joke). The Dayton Sub-1200 would make a worthwhile subwoofer upgrade from the bass module included with your mini system. Or if you let us know where you are, I might help you search Craigslist for any worthwhile local deals.

If I'm off base and you're already using aftermarket bookshelfs and sub, then the Denon AVR-X1000 can be had for $220 + shipping, and will provide bass management in the form of Audyssey XT. The only two channel receiver with a dedicated subwoofer output of which I'm aware is the Outlaw RR2150, which is out of your budget.

Last edited:
H

Hijakeroo123

Audiophyte
If an improvement of sound is your ultimate goal, then replacing your electronics is not the way to do it. It's the speakers that make the sound. Did your bookshelf speakers and subwoofer come with your Sony mini-system? I doubt replacing the electronics will make them sound much (if any) different.

Put it this way: a typical speaker has a sensitivity of 87dB at 1 watt at 1 meter. That's 1 watt. If your speakers have that sort of sensitivity and your mini-system has 20 watts of output, that's still about 100dB of sound. If you get a different receiver, chances are, you're still going to be listening at less than 20 watts, even if you crank the volume high.

Unless your current receiver is fried or you're looking for added functionality, you should instead be shopping for speakers. These JBL Studio 230's would be a good choice, or perhaps these Athena Tech AS-B1's or these Infinity Primus from the classifieds (Alex has had them forever. He may be willing to ship now if you ask nicely and tell him a monkey joke). The Dayton Sub-1200 would make a worthwhile subwoofer upgrade from the bass module included with your mini system. Or if you let us know where you are, I might help you search Craigslist for any worthwhile local deals.

If I'm off base and you're already using aftermarket bookshelfs and sub, then the Denon AVR-X1000 can be had for $220 + shipping, and will provide bass management in the form of Audyssey XT. The only two channel receiver with a dedicated subwoofer output of which I'm aware is the Outlaw RR2150, which is out of your budget.
Oh opps, I should probably provide a little more clarificatrion. My current system consists of a pair of Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers and a Definitive Technology ProSub 60. My currrent receiver has 5 watts per channel; I long ago ditched the speakers that came with it as they were just cheap 4-inch, single drivers in a poorly constructed case. My current receiver begins to badly distort at around 2/3 of its maximum output, hence the reason I am looking to upgrade. I have tested my speakers/sub with a 90's Yamaha RX-V592 HTR which my family owns; the output sounds much cleaner even at low volume levels.

Also, thank you for the recommendations! I do not necessarily need a dedicated subwoofer output as my sub also has speaker level inputs, although it would certainly be a nice bonus. Also, just FYI: both the Yamaha R-S300 (the next model up from the R-S201) and the Onkyo TX-8020 have dedicated sub outputs; though I am not sure if they have bass management on board.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dear OP, lets try an interesting experiment - basically risk free.
Buy new speakers, connect to existing receiver and see how do you like the result.
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair
Put them with back against the wall to amply the signal a bit.
After that if you need more volume (trust me - most people barely use more than few watts anyways) look for new receiver.
30 days full refund if you're not satisfied.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with others about speakers making a bigger difference, but you might tell us the model number of your current mini-receiver. I'm not convinced it is capable. Some of these receivers that come with mini speakers are rated something like 5W from 80hz to 16Khz because the frequency range of the speaker falls inside of that.

I would definitely stay away from the Yammy 201. It is a shame Yamaha let it get into production like that.

I would take a hard look at a refurbished receiver. Note this is Yamaha Factory Refurbished and comes with a 1 year warranty by Yamaha.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs300bl/yamaha-r-s300-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

However, the Denon X1000 is a good option if you need bass management.

Last edited:
H

Hijakeroo123

Audiophyte
I agree with others about speakers making a bigger difference, but you might tell us the model number of your current mini-receiver. I'm not convinced it is capable. Some of these receivers that come with mini speakers are rated something like 5W from 80hz to 16Khz because the frequency range of the speaker falls inside of that.

I would definitely stay away from the Yammy 201. It is a shame Yamaha let it get into production like that.

I would take a hard look at a refurbished receiver. Note this is Yamaha Factory Refurbished and comes with a 1 year warranty by Yamaha.

(Link was here)

However, the Denon X1000 is a good option if you need bass management.
Thanks so much for the suggestion! My current receiver is a Sony CMT-NE3, and I was actually wrong about the output power listed above. According to the manual, it's 13W/channel from 120hz to 10Khz at 10% THD (that might explain something!). Also, I have tested out this same speaker setup with a 1990's Yamaha HTR (RX-V592), and was very pleased with the sound quality of the speakers when paired with a better receiver.

I really might have to jump on that factory refurb! I really like the design of the R-S300, it is just slightly out of my price range as new. If anyone has more opinions/suggestions, feel free to throw them out there; I really appreciate your advice!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sony CMT-NE3! Yes that explains a lot!

I'm surprised they published those specifications!

On the refurb, I can vouch for Accessories4less being a good company to deal with.

The Denon X1000 is more receiver, but unless you plan to expand to home theater, the Yamaha is fully capable for 2.1 (without bass management), and avoids the complication of the X1000 (which is difficult to setup if you do not have a TV attached).

Last edited:
H

Hijakeroo123

Audiophyte
Haha, I had a feeling that would be the case. Now I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha R-S300 or the Onkyo TX-8050, or the Onkyo TX-8020 if it ever gets in stock (all factory refurbs at Accessories4less). I am leaning more towards the Yammy, just because of excellent past experiences with them and the fact that I have been able to test that receiver in person and can attest to its build quality.

Thanks for all of the buying advice!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Onkyo and Ymamha both make fine products. Yamaha does have a better quality reputation than Onkyo.

Now that you have your receiver issue worked out, check out the Pioneer bs-22 or Sony Core speakers at BB the next time you get a "wild hair".:)

Georgel

Georgel

Audioholic
If you could come up another $100 ,you might want to consider checking out the Harman Kardon HK-3700.They go for about $300 US new.
I have owned many of their receivers through the years,was never disappointed
x532HK3700-F.jpg
Audio Specifications
Power per channel
85 watts per channel, two channels driven @ 6/8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, less than 0.07% THD
Input Sensitivity/Impedance
250mV/27k ohms
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A)
100dB
Frequency Response (@ 1W)
10Hz – 130kHz (+0dB/–3dB)

Last edited:
J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
After repurposing 'old' (Some were >20yr old!) Yamaha AV receivers, speakers, and DVD players in my 11' x 12' home office and upstairs hobby room, I elected to try to improve them last summer by buying my home office a new CDP (Onkyo C-7030) and 50 Wpc stereo receiver (Onkyo TX-8020) after having great results with my current 7-channel Onkyo TX-SR-505. My ancient PolkAudio Large Monitors were replaced by Infinity P163's in the office - and they by the inefficient NHT SuperOnes and a trial pair of efficient Klipsch KB-15's. I finally chose the NHT's as being easier to stage in my office (No ports!), replacing the Infinitys upstairs with the KB-15's. Then I added a JBL SUB 550P to my office to reinforce the NHT's tight bass (Both the NHTs and the JBL sub employ sealed enclosures/acoustic suspension designs.).

So... the unfiltered L+R subwoofer output of the TX-8020 works great with the JBL sub's adjustable LF input. It also worked as a mono output to feed to my JBL Pro LSR-305 powered monitor - when I wanted to recall my youth and listen to music in mono. Additionally, @ <.03% THD + noise at half power (25Wpc), rising to .08% @ 50 Wpc, both channels driven from 20-20k Hz, means they are clean outputs, too,and operable with 4-16 Ohm speakers. Something has to suffer at it's price - it's damping is only 60. Amazon had it for $159 (Prime 'free' 2-day s&h) when I bought mine from them - the C-7030 was more! The current price is $178 for the in-stock receiver - I would rate it as a bargain, especially if you include it's input choices, built-in MM phono pre-amp, decent tuner, and included remote. I highly recommend the Klipsch KB-15's too - a bargain at their usual price of $179/pr - a steal when dropped from that. The Infinity P163's are $60-$86 a piece - and great - just don't compare them to the little Klipsch's or NHT's!

JRT3

H

Hijakeroo123

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for the recommendations guys! I think that I am going to go with the Yammy R-S300 or the Onkyo TX-8020.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Why not get a used receiver off craigslist for $50 and get the wavecrest speakers. Seems like a no brainier.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks so much for the suggestion! My current receiver is a Sony CMT-NE3, and I was actually wrong about the output power listed above. According to the manual, it's 13W/channel from 120hz to 10Khz at 10% THD (that might explain something!). Also, I have tested out this same speaker setup with a 1990's Yamaha HTR (RX-V592), and was very pleased with the sound quality of the speakers when paired with a better receiver.

I really might have to jump on that factory refurb! I really like the design of the R-S300, it is just slightly out of my price range as new. If anyone has more opinions/suggestions, feel free to throw them out there; I really appreciate your advice!
That's why you heard less than better sound even at low volume. That little Sony probably output less than 2W from 30 to 15K at 1% THD and I doubt it can even do that.. I wouldn't worry too much about getting more channels than you need because the X1000 KEW and rojo suggested comes with useful Room EQ, bass management and even dynamic EQ and you will enjoy the larger power supply that only have two mouths to feed. That's assuming you can in fact get it for the price rojo quoted. I doubt there's a deal that good and still comes with warranty but there is nothing to lose to check it out.

H

Hijakeroo123

Audiophyte
Update: I decided on an Onkyo TX-8020 from Accessories4Less, and just received it today. So far, I have been really impressed! I am going to experiement with tweaking the sound over the next couple of weeks, and will then post a follow up review. Thanks again for the advice guys!

Quick question: does anyone have any thoughts on line level vs. speaker level connection for my sub? The line level output is not a LFE output, it is just L+R unfiltered, therefore, the sub shouldn't be affected one way or another. So far, I have connected it through a line level connection, but would it be beneficial sound wise to change to a speaker level connection so that I could use the sub's built in crossover to eliminate the low frequency ranges being sent to my booksehlf speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Update: I decided on an Onkyo TX-8020 from Accessories4Less, and just received it today. So far, I have been really impressed! I am going to experiement with tweaking the sound over the next couple of weeks, and will then post a follow up review. Thanks again for the advice guys!

Quick question: does anyone have any thoughts on line level vs. speaker level connection for my sub? The line level output is not a LFE output, it is just L+R unfiltered, therefore, the sub shouldn't be affected one way or another. So far, I have connected it through a line level connection, but would it be beneficial sound wise to change to a speaker level connection so that I could use the sub's built in crossover to eliminate the low frequency ranges being sent to my booksehlf speakers?
Line level should be the safe bet. What sub do you have?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a Definitive Technology ProSub 60.
Neither one (8020 & ProSub60) seems to have bass management but the ProSub60 probably has a fixed high pass of 80 Hz output for satellite speakers. If your book shelf speakers have good bass response then I would just hook them up directly to the Onkyo. Otherwise, hook them up to the ProSub60's speaker level outputs. You may want to try both and settle with the one you prefer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis