$2,500 5.1 Channel Recommended Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In our humble opinion, $2,500 is the sweet spot where things start to get interesting when building a 5.1 setup. Unlike the $1,000 5.1 system we built recently, there aren't any glaring compromises to speak of. The question is: do you want a system that balances performance with aesthetics, or are you all about getting the most bang for your buck? This time we tackle both approaches and let you choose which path to take.

Curious to see what equipment we picked? Click to keep reading.

Read our $2,500 Recommended Home Theater System

So which system do you prefer and let us know how you like this gear if you own or have heard any of it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In our humble opinion, $2,500 is the sweet spot where things start to get interesting when building a 5.1 setup. Unlike the $1,000 5.1 system we built recently, there aren't any glaring compromises to speak of. The question is: do you want a system that balances performance with aesthetics, or are you all about getting the most bang for your buck? This time we tackle both approaches and let you choose which path to take.

Curious to see what equipment we picked? Click to keep reading.

Read our $2,500 Recommended Home Theater System

So which system do you prefer and let us know how you like this gear if you own or have heard any of it.
I blame aesthetics squarely on the WAF . :p To me a system that is butt ugly but can perform above its price class suddenly becomes beautiful.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty good system. You can't get any RBH SX 5.1 system for that low. So I can't even recommend. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Vinyl. Where's the vinyl? ;)
I'm too lazy too look but if the Denon doesn't have a built-in phono pre-amp, then would need approximately $100 over the price of a an entry level table which tightens the budget a bit.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
I'm too lazy too look but if the Denon doesn't have a built-in phono pre-amp, then would need approximately $100 over the price of a an entry level table which tightens the budget a bit.
I think that the majority of people looking for systems in this range don't care that much about Vinyl so it's best to include a "Best bang-for-buck" receiver options without a phono-preamp in order to give the budget conscious buyer the best sounding bang-for-buck at this level. Keeping in mind that most people will be connecting all their sources typically to digital audio connections (HDMI, Toslink / Optical, SPDIF / Coaxial) and some even will have some RCA audio sources.

Any hardcore audiophile wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra $100-$200 on a higher model with a phono preamp anyways, so I think the author is better off leaving the core receiver in these budget system recommendation articles without a phono options and concentrating on other more useful features for the majority of people.

Maybe a good compromise would be the mention of an upgrade option for those that need phono?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that the majority of people looking for systems in this range don't care that much about Vinyl so it's best to include a "Best bang-for-buck" receiver options without a phono-preamp in order to give the budget conscious buyer the best sounding bang-for-buck at this level. Keeping in mind that most people will be connecting all their sources typically to digital audio connections (HDMI, Toslink / Optical, SPDIF / Coaxial) and some even will have some RCA audio sources.

Any hardcore audiophile wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra $100-$200 on a higher model with a phono preamp anyways, so I think the author is better off leaving the core receiver in these budget system recommendation articles without a phono options and concentrating on other more useful features for the majority of people.

Maybe a good compromise would be the mention of an upgrade option for those that need phono?
If you reread my last post, you would see that I wasn't pushing for a turntable at that budget point. :)

J

JWH5173

Audiophyte
Would you change any of these choices now and what about ceiling speakers for those that want a cleaner appearance?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Would you change any of these choices now
Not really, outside of updating the electronics to current models.

what about ceiling speakers for those that want a cleaner appearance?
In ceiling speakers don't generally get a lot of love (aside from an Atmos/DTS-X install), but high quality in-walls do exist (though I'm not sure how many exist in this price bracket). There are also less obtrusive on-wall speakers like this.

J

JWH5173

Audiophyte
In order to put priorities inline I guess foregoing ceiling speakers are my best bet.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This system has been updated as of 7/3/17.

B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
I have had terrible luck with Denon, very and unnecessarily complicated, heat related shut off issues and would never buy another after going through this nonsense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis