1st, 2nd and 3er pass crossovers

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Any input on this? I tried find over the internet but found no real good stuff &nbsp;

Any one knows the difference?

Thanks!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I think you mean 1st, 2nd or 3rd order filters. This refers to the slope of the filter, or how fast it cuts off the unwanted frequencies. Each order (created by one stage in the filter) will reduce the signal by 6dB per octave (doubling in frequency). Thus a 3rd order filter will have an 18dB per octave slope.

This in itself does not imply the quality of a speaker as many factors come into crossover design. Some manufacturers shoot for time aliged drivers with 1st order filters, others (more commonly) use higher order filters, but driver and enclosure characteristics will also impact crossover and overall speaker design.</font>

E

EdHeath

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Without question (in my mind) the hardest to get right, but the best sounding when one does, is the first order Butterworth alignment.
&nbsp; &nbsp; The 6db rolloff requires drivers with excellent: power handling, frequency range, flatter response, and smoother natural rolloffs. &nbsp;Narrow tolerance filter components make the job easier. &nbsp;Seemingly tine value adjustments can make a very audible difference.
&nbsp; &nbsp; The result of the above can be an extremely smooth frequency response, and all but inaudible Xover points. &nbsp;After the measuring is done, the job is just beginning; final voicing can only be done right, by ear, and it takes time and work; lots of both.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Ed</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis