1970's Realistic Nova 8's vs 8b's

R

robozagato

Audiophyte
Can anyone explain to me the differences between the Nova 8 which was made up until 1975, and the Nova 8b which started in 1976? I have been wanting a pair of 8's to go with my STA-120b as they were sold as a unit in the RS catalogue but cant seem to find any. Or Optimus 5's for that matter. Have found a set of 8b's and am wondering if i should stick to my guns and hold out for regular 8's or optimus 5's. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno, but it could be simpley for more economic manufacture. You might get a bit more info from this site.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Dunno, but it could be simpley for more economic manufacture. You might get a bit more info from this site.
Mark thanks for that link. I was able to reconstruct my Dads system from the late 70s'. I was in 7th grade when he bought it and the envy of my friends. :) Speakers were the 3-way towers, receiver was the silver one at a whopping 55 watts per channel, turn table was the lab 60, one of the decks on the left side not sure which, and the head phones were the LV-10's.:)

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Mark thanks for that link. I was able to reconstruct my Dads system from the late 70s'. I was in 8th grade when he bought it and the envy of my friends. :) Speakers were the 3-way towers, receiver was the silver one at a whopping 55 watts per channel, turn table was the lab 60, one of the decks on the left side not sure which, and the head phones were the LV-10's.:)
I was working for the Shack part time in 76 -77 whie going to school. I can say with conficdence that even with "only" 55 watts, that was a pretty good sounding system.

FWIW, my favorite "fun" system is only 30 wpc and from that era and it still sounds amazing.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I was working for the Shack part time in 76 -77 whie going to school. I can say with conficdence that even with "only" 55 watts, that was a pretty good sounding system.

FWIW, my favorite "fun" system is only 30 wpc and from that era and it still sounds amazing.
Oh yeah it was a darn good sounding system from what I remember. Plenty loud for playing Boston, STYX, Billy Joel, AC/DC, Pat Travers, Robin Trower. My friends loved bringing over their records to play after school. Those are some of my fondest childhood memories actually.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis