1970s looks so good in 4k!

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Question. Why do some 1970s movies look so damn good on my (entry level, yes 6 series samsung) 4k TV?
It blows my mind sometimes as to the color reproduction in some of these old movies displayed on my TV. In some cases it looks better than todays content. Case in point, the movie im watching on Amazon Prime right now, "The boys from Brazil 1978" This looks phenomenal! Why?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Good restoration of good cinematography, and also a good transfer. The film grain of yesteryear can have a bit more saturated and crisper look as well. Modern cinematography is better at capturing nuance, however.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Thank you shadyj.
Im questioning why anyone would take so much care in restoring such an old obscure movie. The movie "The Shining" I could see, but not something obscure. I mean this looks damn near 3 dimensional. Lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
"The Boys From Brazil' is not an obscure movie. It is a major motion picture from a large studio. It might not have been restored so much as having just been preserved well. I agree, I don't think people would go to great restoration lengths for a movie like The Boys From Brazil. Entertaining movie though it is, it is hardly a classic.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I suspect many of these films have been digitally processed to remove the video equivalent of clicks and pops, and the software can also enhance color saturation, among other attributes. It is a very controversial process with some producers and directors.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
What ever the case, it looks insanely rich and lifelike for a movie of this time period.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have my Cox cable running though my AVR HDMI
My Yamaha AVR Upscale’s to near 4k to my Vizio 4k.
Now when I do use my over the air tenna what ever it’s broadcast, anywhere’s from 480 up to 1080
than I go back to cable I can definitely see a difference.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
It just trips me up when old content like this looks so vivid and lifelike.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It just trips me up when old content like this looks so vivid and lifelike.
Growing up with the old tube tv’s like I did and watching 4K UHD tv’s today is a hugh Improvement.
I have grandchildren who will never know about tube tv’s. One of my grandchildren Mollie she’s 6 years old was over the other day. I put a Vinyl LP on, well I didn’t notice her right away, but she was just standing close to my Turntable watching it go round and round. She goes PawPaw how is that black plate making sounds? lolo. So I lifted up the tone arm lowered it back down she thought that was the coolest thing. She stood there for about 15 minutes staring at it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your TV does some "scrubbing" of the image, depending on your settings. It will also vary depending on the content itself, if it looked good originally,it should still look good. If it looked bad originally, then it will look even worse :)

I just bought a 75" 4K and some old stuff does look better, but not all.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
"The Boys From Brazil' is not an obscure movie. It is a major motion picture from a large studio. It might not have been restored so much as having just been preserved well. I agree, I don't think people would go to great restoration lengths for a movie like The Boys From Brazil. Entertaining movie though it is, it is hardly a classic.
I watched the Boys from Brazil recently on Amazon. To me, it was very obviously digitally processed. I noticed no film-related artifacts at all.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Your TV does some "scrubbing" of the image, depending on your settings. It will also vary depending on the content itself, if it looked good originally,it should still look good. If it looked bad originally, then it will look even worse :)

I just bought a 75" 4K and some old stuff does look better, but not all.
Yea it really did look phenomenal! I have what would be considered by videophiles to be a horrible dispay. Its a Samsung 6 series model number 6070 Bestbuy (lol) doorbuster 70 inch 4K HDR TV. I paid 525.00 shipped to my door! I wasnt expecting much, but it continues to impress especially when I see these old movies look like this. I watched PHANTASM the original movie and was blown away. Lmao

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis