12 speakers but only a 7.1 receiver... Layout question.

N

Netling

Enthusiast
So here is what I now have...

7.1 Denon AVR-S730H, 10 Klipsch speakers (8 quartets, 2 quartets center, 1 larger KV2 center),can't remember the sub.

12 speakers total;
  1. 8 regular front/rear speakers (Quartets)
  2. - 4 are on stands, ear level, 2 on left/right of projector screen and 2 left/right of the couch.
  3. - 4 are mounted near ceiling height in each corner of the room, 2 about 4 feet from screen edge point at an angle. 2 pointed at the couch from above.
  4. 1 powered sub to the left of the screen on floor.
  5. 1 large center speaker, I can mount it at the top of the screen (centered of course) for just at the bottom of the screen (when it's down, it's motorized and I normally keep it up, as it's my living room and don't want AV to stand out.) (THIS WOULD BE QUESTION 1; Mount at Top of Screen or Bottom of Screen?)
  6. 2 small center speakers... this is where I curious about mounting them with one on each side in the middle of the room near/on the ceiling and bridging the front & rear surrounds "faux atmos". (THIS WOULD BE QUESTION 2 & 3; Where should I mount 2 extra centers that I now have and how should I connect them?)
The room is relatively small, 20x17 with stairs on the 17' side but not taking up space (ie. it's a 20x20 with 3' for stairs) and the screen mounted in front of the side of the stairs going up. The couches is farthest away from the screen against the wall. See attached for layout.

So my questions:
1. Large Center Speaker, above the screen (hidden'ish) or just below the screen but better level with the ear but in plain sight?
2. Mounting the small (originally intended as centers) speaker middle of the room high?
3. How to wire the small "center" speakers to be best utilized in the middle like that?

Any input or advise is greatly appreciated!! Of course, I'm open to suggestion on other layouts.

Thank in Advance!!

Speaker-Layout.png

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd stick to layouts that correspond to manufacturers intended codec layouts. 2 center channels will cause horrendous sound.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
As everett noted, ditch the multitude of center speakers. Where did you get that idea? One is all you need. Aside from that, it’s generally recommended that for rooms where the couch is against the back wall (bad idea if it can be avoided), a 5.1 system is sufficient. 7.1 is only useful if the back two speakers can be positioned behind the seating.

The “front high” speakers would only be utilized if you have a Yamaha receiver, which typically call for those speakers as “front effects” for their proprietary DSP room modeling. Otherwise, they will serve no purpose.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

N

Netling

Enthusiast
As everett noted, ditch the multitude of center speakers. Where did you get that idea? One is all you need. Aside from that, it’s generally recommended that for rooms where the couch is against the back wall (bad idea if it can be avoided), a 5.1 system is sufficient. 7.1 is only useful if the back two speakers can be positioned behind the seating.

The “front high” speakers would only be utilized if you have a Yamaha receiver, which typically call for those speakers as “front effects” for their proprietary DSP room modeling. Otherwise, they will serve no purpose.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I got the idea from thinking... without researching but last night I took a little time and read the Auro-3D setup guide and laughed at the fact that it's sort of what I was leading towards. http://www.auro-3d.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/Auro-3D-Home-Theater-Setup-Guidelines_lores.pdf

I hear you about moving the couch off the wall and while I really can't pull the couch to far forward, I'll do what I can... recently single and now in a lease, a very favorable one I will add, I can't move or modify the physical characteristics of the place. As you can see from the layout, there isn't many options for layout, any interior designers reading this(?!!).

So the thoughts behind this was, the side (centers, extra speaker I ended up with) would compliment front and rear by merging the two and maybe throw in a resistor to reduce the power being it's two channels combined. So if a sound traveling from left to right it would have more of a effect. Thoughts on thinking outside the box of course.

N

Netling

Enthusiast
I'd stick to layouts that correspond to manufacturers intended codec layouts. 2 center channels will cause horrendous sound.
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking at having 2 center channels but using the extra speakers (don't tell them but they don't actually know their centers) as the optional side speakers.

Any thoughts of input on my reply to Wayne?

Thanks again!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking at having 2 center channels but using the extra speakers (don't tell them but they don't actually know their centers) as the optional side speakers.

Any thoughts of input on my reply to Wayne?

Thanks again!
Just do height speakers, front and back, if you want to have extra speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't mess with an Auro 3D layout. That codec is pretty much non-existent as far as I can tell. I've yet to come across it in any movie I've looked at.

I'd stick with a Dolby Atmos layout if you can. If not, then I'd just put together a nice 5.1 system and be done. It will sound better than a hacked together system that doesn't conform to a specific speaker layout.

N

Netling

Enthusiast
I wouldn't mess with an Auro 3D layout. That codec is pretty much non-existent as far as I can tell. I've yet to come across it in any movie I've looked at.

I'd stick with a Dolby Atmos layout if you can. If not, then I'd just put together a nice 5.1 system and be done. It will sound better than a hacked together system that doesn't conform to a specific speaker layout.
Yeah, that pretty much what I'm finding out, for that matter that even 7.1 is hard to find unless playing newer BluRays disc, which I rarely do... streaming is only offer 5.1 and few offer ATMOS, so for now I have a full 7.1 setup.

I have a question on ATMOS, that is a hardware integrated into the speaker, versus just positioning speaker, yes?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, that pretty much what I'm finding out, for that matter that even 7.1 is hard to find unless playing newer BluRays disc, which I rarely do... streaming is only offer 5.1 and few offer ATMOS, so for now I have a full 7.1 setup.

I have a question on ATMOS, that is a hardware integrated into the speaker, versus just positioning speaker, yes?
Just speaker positioning. Companies advertise special Atmos speakers, but they're just purpose built. Regular ceiling speakers are what most use for the height channels.

N

Netling

Enthusiast
Just speaker positioning. Companies advertise special Atmos speakers, but they're just purpose built. Regular ceiling speakers are what most use for the height channels.
SERIOUSLY!!! I thought and understood that ATMOS speakers has special "Hardware/processors" that was unique to ATMOS... Shoot I'll mount the two, semi, rear to the ceiling if that's the case and have a 5.1.2 system vs a 7.1!!!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
SERIOUSLY!!! I thought and understood that ATMOS speakers has special "Hardware/processors" that was unique to ATMOS... Shoot I'll mount the two, semi, rear to the ceiling if that's the case and have a 5.1.2 system vs a 7.1!!!
Well, I hope I didn't misunderstand your question. The speakers aren't special, but you have to have an AVR/Pre/Pro that supports Atmos.

N

Netling

Enthusiast
Well, I hope I didn't misunderstand your question. The speakers aren't special, but you have to have an AVR/Pre/Pro that supports Atmos.
Yes, correct, you did NOT misunderstand my question!

I have an AVR that has ATMOS decoding, but I understood the speakers also has to be "made for ATMOS"... i.e. AVR decoded signal and speakers, with special Hardware between the speaker connector and the speaker cone, which played the special decoded signal.

It's just signaling based on speaker placement and regular speakers can be used. So in the end, its more about hype and marketing than anything else, not that it doesn't "work" it just doesn't update speaker design or how they work.

Thanks,
Charlie

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis