110watts a side and a $1000

B

bhudson

Enthusiast
Ouch,

A $1000 bucks is as high as I can go without getting divorced. I (in my opinion) lucked out and picked up a Jamo E6 Sub for $399 (CDN). Now I have about a grand left to buy a new set of fronts. I am upgrading from a pair of Jamo 28.

I am using a Yamaha HTR 5760 reciver and a basic Panasonic DVD. Mid-market interconnects through out.

I will need to save some money for new speaker cables if I go with a bi-wired speaker (also highly recommended from what I understand).

The front runners are

Axiom M22ti (although a former employee suggested I go with the M3ti over the M22ti)

Totem Rainmaker. There is an open box at a local dealer for $904(CDN).

Another choice in the Paradigm Studio 40 (a touch out of my price range so I would most likely go for the Studio 20.

I have to say that the Totem really blew my mind when I heard it through a modest system in a lcoal store. I also auditioned a pair of KEF Q4 but they were being played through a $10,000 stereo at a very fancy shop in Vancouver and I wasn't that impressed.

So, I defer to the opinions of my fellow audioholics... Somebody help me spend my money.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
Vancouver, BC?

Which store did you audition the Paradigms? I've been trying to find a place where i can audition some lower end Monitor speakers (Mini's, Monitor 3's, 5's) but nowhere i go has anything set up.

None of the stores are willing to set anything up for me either. I guess it's cuz i'm young (20) and look younger, so they assume i'm just wasting their time.

It's really annoying though....they only store that's treated me with respect is North Shore Audio Video, and now they only carry Reference. They can order anything I want, but i want to audition!

Sorry to de-rail your thread.....

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
No suggestion for speakers, but I would say save yourself some money and forget bi-wiring...it's more or less just marketing hype...bi-amping is another story though. Secondly, save more money by picking up your cables from blue jeans, or some soundking 12ga from parts express.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Totem Rainmaker would be my choice. Very smooth, very natural and detailed without overly sounding bright. They are a bit less forward than the others, which may make them seem a compressed on very loud/dynamic music, but these speakers really disappear very well, you never get the impression that the sound is coming from a box.

The Studio 20's are also nice and will have a bit more depth to the bass, but they sound drier than the Totems. But the 20's will have a bit more dynamic ability.

No Axiom I've heard recently would compare to the Totems.

Forget bi-wiring IMO.

B

bhudson

Enthusiast
Hey,

North shore Audio is the shop I was going to recommend.

Bi-wiring is not worth it. That's interesting because the sales guy at Sound Plus in Vancouver was all over it. "bi-wire, bi-wire, bi-wire" were his exact words. I have never heard one over the other so what can I say about it...
Nothing.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Why yes, of course, the sales man said to bi-wire, cables are one of the highest profit margin items audio shops sell, and if you bi-wire you need twice as much cable, or they will try to sell "special" cables made just bi-wiring at a grossly inflated price. The point is that your dealing with a salesperson whose livelihood depends on you spending money and the more the better. There may in fact be a slight improvement in sound (the jury is still out), but the increased cost for only the possibility of improvement makes for a very poor return on investment. But if you have money to burn...they cant hurt. The maximum ROI will be from speakers and room acoustical treatments.

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/000524_biamping_biwiring.php

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, what are your size constraints? Some of the tower Axioms are a good option. You might also want to try a pair of Magnepan MMGs.

S

snorksca

Audiophyte
Totem

Care to share where you can get the Totem RainMakers for $904? :) If you don't buy them I'd love to get them for that price.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis