Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I was messing around today and the digital optical cable fell out of the tv. I tried to jam it back in and the little plastic spring loaded door broke inside the tv. how much trouble did I cause?
I am crazy enough to think music sounds better through the optical cable.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Just performed surgery on the tv. The bottom of the door broke in to. A tiny screwdriver and tweezers enabled me to retrieve the broken pieces. Cable went back in but fits Loosely.

Sounds great!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just performed surgery on the tv. The bottom of the door broke in to. A tiny screwdriver and tweezers enabled me to retrieve the broken pieces. Cable went back in but fits Loosely.

Sounds great!
Ham fisted problems circumvented! :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I came into this thread expecting MUCH worse. That was a very fast rollercoaster.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
LOL, buy a roku device, it has Toslink connection still I think

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I was messing around today and the digital optical cable fell out of the tv. I tried to jam it back in and the little plastic spring loaded door broke inside the tv. how much trouble did I cause?
I am crazy enough to think music sounds better through the optical cable.
The door is only needed when the port isn't used- the TosLink should stay in place without it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Sounds great!
Could have probably used a vacuum cleaner.

If you want, put a dab of hot glue at the base and it shouldn't come out.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic

Sounds great!
did you update to v6.1020
i used a usb to update because i did not get the notification on the tv

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have a confession to make, but I don’t want to get kicked out of the club.

I love the Sony, but the apps on this tv have never worked. I have been on with Sony a few times, reset the tv, argued with the rep that all my other devices worked fine, checked my internet etc. Finally I just gave up and used my fire stick.

We are currently having our home painted. While pulling the tv away from the wall I noticed plastic film on a plastic window on each side of the tv, I removed the film and wouldn’t you know, perfect streaming! The installer never removed the film!

Lesson: Always check behind the installer!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the film blocked what particularly? Remote control signals?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
So the film blocked what particularly? Remote control signals?
My thought is that the film interfered with WiFi. The film was covering the smoked plastic cover that has Bravia stamped on it.7379620F-81A0-4B93-9821-D968FE9573E1.jpeg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My thought is that the film interfered with WiFi. The film was covering the smoked plastic cover that has Bravia stamped on it.View attachment 49302
Probably. TVs with built in wifi were never going to be good without an external antenna, but a film blocking the signal? I'd say I'm surprised, but it's Sony.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If possible….split the signal? Or a dedicated line?
If there is a hard wired internet connection, a wired network switch in any location can give you extremely fast service for next to nothing. Most homes don't actually have gigabit Internet speeds, but home networks can do gigabit networking for very little money.

$16 for a 5 port switch. That gives you one 'feed' connection, and four devices which can then connect to it.

If you had a bunch of network connections you ever needed to make, you can get bigger switches as well...

I use a 24-port switch in my basement for my equipment, and may be upgrading it to a 48-port model shortly.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If there is a hard wired internet connection, a wired network switch in any location can give you extremely fast service for next to nothing. Most homes don't actually have gigabit Internet speeds, but home networks can do gigabit networking for very little money.

$16 for a 5 port switch. That gives you one 'feed' connection, and four devices which can then connect to it.

If you had a bunch of network connections you ever needed to make, you can get bigger switches as well...

I use a 24-port switch in my basement for my equipment, and may be upgrading it to a 48-port model shortly.
Agreed. I snagged an 8-channel switch from Monoprice when I was buying my ethernet cables. It connects everything in my system to my router. Very inexpensive and setup is plug-and-play.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I have not, what does the update do?
i haven't read what sony lists for update

menu has changed
hdmi 3/4 options have less info
button response is also a bit more snappy
i also noticed the picture got a bit smoky maybe contrast got a tweet even if my settings are the same
local channel scan seemed to result in better picture quality i do it every few months
i thought it made gaming worse but i suspect it is my game the division 2 on my ps4 pro due to other glitches
i do not recall an audio sync option before but it has one now there's a bouncing ball with beeps
it also has a room sound calibration that i also do not remember
button press beeps are still sometimes there i guess it wasn't a priority to fix

i did not need to redo anything e.g., wifi password
update took about 5 minutes but i don't use any tv apps

before the update i haven't looked around the menu since i got it back in october

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis