T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I think I’ve narrowed my search down to this receiver, I know it’s not my number one choice but refurbished the price seems tough to beat. My only reservation is the amp specs, 100 watts RMS and 130 watts peak, seems strange to me. That said Onkyo and Integra have always been known for beastly power so maybe I’m worried about nothing. Going to be running a pair of power hungry Special 40’s and one soon to be two PB1000’s. Anyone have any real reservations about the DRX 4.2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Slightly better dynamic rating (not really peak) than my Onkyo, which is rated at 100wpc (2ch driven, 8 ohm, 20hz-20khz, .08% THD) with a 120 dynamic rating at 8 ohm. Never bothered me. It doesn't have anything to do with your subs, tho. Beastly power means what, tho? I wouldn't call 100wpc beastly in any case.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Slightly better dynamic rating (not really peak) than my Onkyo, which is rated at 100wpc (2ch driven, 8 ohm, 20hz-20khz, .08% THD) with a 120 dynamic rating at 8 ohm. Never bothered me. It doesn't have anything to do with your subs, tho. Beastly power means what, tho? I wouldn't call 100wpc beastly in any case.
I meant that’s Onkyo/Integra reputation as having beastly power. Dumb question, how does high current affect speaker performance as they advertise 35 amps? My main concern is watching movies at 80db’s with an 86db efficient 6ohm speaker at 15’ how much power do I need to make sure my amp doesn’t clip during very loud scenes?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Onkyo/Integra is just a brand, the beastly power thing sounds like fanboy hype. High current, low impedance, take your pick. Of course the avr is a bit more powerful at 6 ohms, too. 35 amperes? Don't think your AC line can do that :) 80 dB average with allowance for additional 20dB peaks? Try using an spl calculator? http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html. At least it has pre-outs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW I had an Onkyo 808. It was rated 135x7. At 15’ it never ran out of steam. It almost seemed to get better the more I turned it up lol. Great power.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
FWIW I had an Onkyo 808. It was rated 135x7. At 15’ it never ran out of steam. It almost seemed to get better the more I turned it up lol. Great power.
Same with my 809. It never had any issues powering my theater when that was it's job. Full 7.1 without issue.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Went Magnolia yesterday to test the Integra and make sure I like it and the manager told me that the Arcam AVR 390 is about to get discounted well below it’s $1,500 current price... that might be worth waiting a couple weeks to see what happens.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Went Magnolia yesterday to test the Integra and make sure I like it and the manager told me that the Arcam AVR 390 is about to get discounted well below it’s $1,500 current price... that might be worth waiting a couple weeks to see what happens.

To be honest, I don't think I'd pay $1500 for an AVR that came out three years ago. I do get that original MSRP was $2500, but still.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/arcam/avr390/review

According to that it uses a class G amp, not a bad thing, but worth noting. Also, "only" 80 wpc 20-20 driving two speakers.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic

I own the DRX 5.0 and it powers everything I need it to no issues, 5.2.2. The Arcam is a great piece, but lacks a lot of features that the Integra has. The Integra has a powered Zone Out so if you want to add satellite speakers in another room (like my patio), you don’t need any additional equipment. Also the Integra is quite a streaming device if you stream music it has Tidal and Pandora built-in. Another feature I use for my patio TV is the built-in HDBaseT output. Honestly, I wouldn’t trade my Integra for the Arcam even before the price change. The Integra is just loaded with features that simplify things for multi-zone use.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ll shut up now and stop asking. Just ordered Marantz 5014 from A4L for $650. Next will be an XBOX one X, then 2nd PB100 the LG OLED

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ll shut up now and stop asking. Just ordered Marantz 5014 from A4L for $650. Next will be an XBOX one X, then 2nd PB100 the LG OLED

LOL sometimes ya just gotta buy what you're gonna buy! Sounds good, tho Which LG OLED? I'd rather have XT32 rather than just XT, tho.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
LOL sometimes ya just gotta buy what you're gonna buy! Sounds good, tho Which LG OLED? I'd rather have XT32 rather than just XT, tho.
I thought of the XT32 but that doubles the price at least. The LG OLED is long term (1 year at least) goal but it’ll be a lower end model. That said even the cheapest OLED is a fine TV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought of the XT32 but that doubles the price at least. The LG OLED is long term (1 year at least) goal but it’ll be a lower end model. That said even the cheapest OLED is a fine TV.

XT32 is usually very easily obtained via the sister brand Denon...

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
I think I’ve narrowed my search down to this receiver, I know it’s not my number one choice but refurbished the price seems tough to beat. My only reservation is the amp specs, 100 watts RMS and 130 watts peak, seems strange to me. That said Onkyo and Integra have always been known for beastly power so maybe I’m worried about nothing. Going to be running a pair of power hungry Special 40’s and one soon to be two PB1000’s. Anyone have any real reservations about the DRX 4.2?

My magnolia had 2 open box 5.2s for $800 each. I’m assuming they could do a store transfer if you want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AL32 isn’t on the X3600 so stepping up to the 4500 is still about double.

AL32 I have on one, AL24 on another. Damned if I can tell any difference. I was talking about Audyssey's XT32, tho.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
AL32 I have on one, AL24 on another. Damned if I can tell any difference. I was talking about Audyssey's XT32, tho.
Gotcha... since I’m only running 2.1 soon to be 2.2 I don’t think it’s that important for me. Just need to cross over my Special 40’s a little higher and have some bass management.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis