JVC Projector Owner’s Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, I heard that the 790/RS540 has been discontinued officially from JVC in favor of the 1000/2000/3000 series. I really wish JVC had stuck with the 590 as an entry level into LCoS and had put pricing right at $3,000 for it. The jump now is to get their good quality, but weak image, DLP model for $2,500 or to spend $6,000 (MSRP) on a native 4K model. That's such a huge price gap and there's just nothing sitting in there for people to buy from them. It really ups their pricing. I guess they just don't see the demand for more affordable models for the public.

Yeah, I think it sucks that they have gotten rid of a model line that delivered an incredible image for a fair price. But, I have my 590 and I'm not about to upgrade anytime soon.
The 590/790 series were a bargain (for the quality) once the 1000/2000 series became available.

JVC probably D/C the older series because people were buying the older series (and saving money) instead of the new native-4K series.

I think I'm going to try out the upcoming JVC NZ3 Laser PJ when it is available to see what it's like.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Glad I bought my RS540 a year ago, when the price was right. It looks like it will be a couple more generations of projectors until price/performance make it worthwhile to upgrade again. I got 6 years out of an Epson 5040UB, and it looks like a similar time frame before considering upgrade again.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That's about what I'm hoping for from my 590 (440). I got an amazing price on it new, and while I would prefer the 540, I wasn't in the right place to make that purchase yet. Given my unfinished basement, the quality of the 590 is already probably a bit lost, but after dark viewing is when those black levels really shine (don't shine?) and deliver serious quality.

I still have a lot of playing around with the projector that I need to do, but it may be a tough sell to get people into a $6,000 model when the Epson 5050 is sitting at $3,000. I wish JVC would bring back a $4K LCoS solution. I expect that in a few years that will be their normal price point for entry level native 4K.

Hopefully they will get lasers (LASERS!) into their LCoS models as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's about what I'm hoping for from my 590 (440). I got an amazing price on it new, and while I would prefer the 540, I wasn't in the right place to make that purchase yet. Given my unfinished basement, the quality of the 590 is already probably a bit lost, but after dark viewing is when those black levels really shine (don't shine?) and deliver serious quality.

I still have a lot of playing around with the projector that I need to do, but it may be a tough sell to get people into a $6,000 model when the Epson 5050 is sitting at $3,000. I wish JVC would bring back a $4K LCoS solution. I expect that in a few years that will be their normal price point for entry level native 4K.

Hopefully they will get lasers (LASERS!) into their LCoS models as well.
4K Laser LCoS at the same current prices would be nice. :D

I thought the new ($3,700 MSRP) JVC NZ3 Laser 3,000-Lumen PJ was targeting the Epson crowd.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
4K Laser LCoS at the same current prices would be nice. :D

I thought the new ($3,700 MSRP) JVC NZ3 Laser 3,000-Lumen PJ was targeting the Epson crowd.
It'll be very interesting to see what JVC can get out of the DLP chip. The price point of that PJ is very interesting considering it has a laser light engine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It'll be very interesting to see what JVC can get out of the DLP chip. The price point of that PJ is very interesting considering it has a laser light engine.
Yeah, I cant wait to try the $3.7K JVC Laser PJ. Maybe compare it to the $3K Sony and Epson PJ’s. :D

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Looking forward to hearing what you find. I'm going to predict that the picture will be pretty good but with less than stellar black levels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looking forward to hearing what you find. I'm going to predict that the picture will be pretty good but with less than stellar black levels.
Yep I don’t think anyone expects the NZ3 to have black levels or colors as awesome as the $6K JVCs.

We do expect the JVC NZ3 to be brighter (3000 Lumens).

And if the colors and black levels are at least on the same level as the $3K Sony and Epson, I think the NZ3 will be a big hit.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think the big competition for the NZ3 will be Optoma's UHZ65 model. There are a lot of reviews and tests of the Optoma out there and I've considered it as a major option for larger screens on a smaller (non-LCoS) budget. It seems mostly like strong reviews, so that's what JVC has to beat to make it worthwhile.

I don't think it will beat the Epson on black levels or on input lag. So, with potentially weak blacks, it is going to be about light output and overall image quality.

Still, this represents a huge push forward and I really hope they get the ball rolling on getting lasers into their LCoS units. If they did that and delivered on video quality ahead of Sony doing it in their cheaper LCoS units, then that would be pretty cool to see.

The future is solid state projection, and getting lasers into home theater models with low noise and improved brightness at a reasonable price will really be nice to see.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems odd for JVC to be entering the DLP market again.
How come? Because DLP is inferior to LCoS?

It makes sense to me if they want to compete with the $3K DLP Projectors from Epson and others -- I mean unless it's possible to make good quality LCoS projectors for $3K.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How come? Because DLP is inferior to LCoS?

It makes sense to me if they want to compete with the $3K DLP Projectors from Epson and others -- I mean unless it's possible to make good quality LCoS projectors for $3K.
I bet they could make good quality LCoS projectors for that price, but I doubt they'd be 4K. Granted, they might not manufacturer 1080p panels any longer so maybe not.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
JVC's closeout of the RS440 was well under $3,000 dealer cost. This indicates to me that they could have definitely priced the 440 at $2,999 and if they had kept it going it would still be one of the absolute best $3,000 projectors on the planet right now... today.

So, a DLP at $2,500 (or less) a LCoS at $3,000 for 1080p pixel shifting, and their true 4K models at a 'much higher' price point. There is no question that if JVC got into the sub $3,000 market with LCoS, they would rattle the cage of what Epson has been owning for the last few years in terms of 'best quality' and would have drawn a ton of customers their way for life. I think it's a very odd business decision. That is, if they could actually make money selling a $3,000 LCoS projector.

Sony, of course, still has the HW45 which may be the best sub $3,000 1080p model on the market to date.

Last edited:
C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
So does anyone have any feedback on the latest firmware update? I have it downloaded but not installed yet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Same here. I'm waiting to see more feedbacks before I install any firmware. :D

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
I'd be willing to be that I notice no difference, other than I know it's all current.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd be willing to be that I notice no difference, other than I know it's all current.
Yeah, if I were unhappy with the picture quality, I would have already updated the firmware. But since I am already happy with the picture quality, I don't see the rush to install the firmware. :D

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Not true if you are watching HDR movies. You really need to update. I am as soon as I get mine hung, hoepfully within the next week and a half. The DTM really helps the image unless you are using MadVr, Lumagen or another outside processor. Leave the DTM on Auto or try Medium with the filter on for starters.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis