Negatron 2 our final Home Theater/Stereo room build thread

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Just snagged the last pair of k402s I need for my build. This will leave just 1 pair of RP150Ms left to purchase and I will have 13 channels for Auro3D (once I get a Auro3d preamp).

I expect to start the K402 Synergy build after the new year, as I need to get cabinets built, and mod the horns for the dual 15" woofers.

I can't wait to get my amp, rack, and speakers done!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
New AV rack, just got it back from our carpenter. I built the 8020 part, and supplied the carpenter with the wood.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
New AV rack, just got it back from our carpenter. I built the 8020 part, and supplied the carpenter with the wood.

Nice I like the custom wood look nice touch!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
3 K402s waiting in the garage for the MEH mod...with another k402 on the way. I am tempted to get one more so I can run them as a 5 channel setup. We will be trying them as an open baffle setup in addition to a cabinet version. I will be setting them up both ways with the help of a friend, and running REW to see which way I like them best.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Come on Ellis more pics. Hurry up and setup already. :) On the double let's go. :D

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Ok...pics of my Klipsch RP 150Ms, mounted 13' in the air with custom aluminum brackets...mounted to a wood french cleat.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Custom made end tables, and my tablet for controlling my AV equipment, and lights. I use CQC software with my own graphic designs. Sorry pics are a bit blurry with my tablet.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
K402 MEH progress pics...

All 4 horns have the ports drilled, and we have 1 motherboard almost assembled. Once all the motherboards have been completed, we will be painting the backside, and veneering the frontside in mahagony.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Today I picked up all the pieces for the front 3 horns, plus a spare....minus veneer and cabinets. Starting tomorrow I will start on the backbone frame, and then decide on the cabinet shape, and design. Once we test one without a cabinet, and another with a cabinet... I will then get them veneered with my Mahogany veneer. Hopefully they will be to the listening/tuning stage sometime next week.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
A little update... i now have 1 of the MEHs with cabinet completed, and the 2nd one will be done this next week. The 3rd will be done in a couple of weeks too. Yesterday I powered up my new DIY 6 channel Icepower ASX50 BTL/ASX125 BTL amp. Today I will finish up the Speakon cables, Powercon cables, and clean up the wiring. It has been a long journey to get the speakers, and amp made, but it is finally coming to completion. Next will be a center channel rack for the amp, power center, and crossover (which will be made at the same time as the center speaker).

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
2nd cabinet was finished today. I will start assembly this next week.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice equipment and speaker cabinets and an impressively sized listening room.

Have you ever thought of building your own subwoofer enclosures? You could possibly get Dayton Reference Series drivers to do the job. You would also have the benefit of external amplification, and the option of using reasonably priced Crown or QSC amps to power them. As you most likely already know, most commercial powered subs have an over heating amp which usually has a short life, which is not the case with external pro audio amplification.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Very nice equipment and speaker cabinets and an impressively sized listening room.

Have you ever thought of building your own subwoofer enclosures? You could possibly get Dayton Reference Series drivers to do the job. You would also have the benefit of external amplification, and the option of using reasonably priced Crown or QSC amps to power them. As you most likely already know, most commercial powered subs have an over heating amp which usually has a short life, which is not the case with external pro audio amplification.
I am thinking of building 1 or more subs down the road. I want to finish the center, and then work on a project speaker for the surrounds first.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
The center channel arrived today, and it looks even better than the other 2 do. This one looks like a commercial wood finish speaker cabinet. I will start assembly Monday, and then this next weekend install the speaker in the rack, as I am still waiting on the casters for the rack. This speaker will be laying down on its side like a typical k402 does, but it will be placed in the center of the rack, and be aimed upward to the mlp. Next I will be starting on a square version made out of bendable plywood, and MDF for my surrounds.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
New TV,and center channel is temporarily in place...waiting for my angled stand to be built for the center speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis