İs my subwoofer faulty?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thats the best i can do. I run audyssey 30 times. There is just 1 subwoofer position yet very easy to loose. Acceptable?
Hey, you've spent a fair amount of time and effort changing things and I expect the sound is much improved! The question of how good is good enough is one only you can answer as it is at least partly a question of how much effort and money you are willing to spend to get better performance and the answer to that goes to your personal finances and priorities.
You might consider just taking a week off and enjoying the fruits of your labor then consider if you want to stay where you are.
Your after curve is perfect. what are you doing to get this? What version you have audyssey XT or audyssey XT32?
He has XT32. Also he used REW, bought Umik and better subwoofers.
He is wanting to help you get yours close to his, so understand why he is persistent in his recommendations.
If that is not for you, okay, but the $100 for a Umik is not a bad deal ... especially if you are spending upwards of $1000 for subs (most of us are well over $1500 for dual subs). That $100 for the Umik will gain you more in sound quality than spending another $100 for your subwoofers! (I say this as a general rule, but of course there is always some chance that you have a perfect room and the Umik and REW will do nothing more than verify how good things are; however, I would guess the chances of that to be about 3 bazillion to one!)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The "after" curve looks perfect according to Audyssey's chart, but it doesn't measure that way when I use different, more accurate software and a mic to take measurements. The "after" chart that Audyssey shows is not a measurement. It's a target. Audyssey will do its best to get there, but you need measurement software and a good mic so you can see where it really is. We keep telling you this over and over. Those Audyssey charts are not accurate enough to go by, especially "after". "After" is not an actual measurement. It's a goal, target, prediction or what it's going to try to do.

I have Audyssey XT32 SubEQ HD. <---- Now there's a confusing jumble of letters and numbers, lol.

*Edit: It also looks better because I have pretty good subwoofers (2 of them). You're fighting an uphill battle trying to squeeze "perfect" out of the sub you have right now. You need a better sub.
Where's the HD from?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He has XT32. Also he used REW, bought Umik and better subwoofers.
I think he's talking about the Audyssey Editor app screenshot of my "after" chart. The target one in green that looks perfect, but really isn't when compared to REW measurements.

That said, I agree with you Kurt. @killbill13 has put a lot more effort and made more improvements than most folks who come here asking questions. Take some time and enjoy them. That's the best you can do unless you get a better sub or a mic that you can use for more accurate measuring.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Had me wondering if some marketing had added that moniker somewhere....like the Silver and Gold editions Marantz marketed.
The silver gold colour you mean? Thats retro my friend. Trying to represent older ones...
İf you are nostalgic type, its a great colour

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Had me wondering if some marketing had added that moniker somewhere....like the Silver and Gold editions Marantz marketed.
Totally within the realms of possibility, lol.

@killbill13, just to repeat, you've done a great job with what you have right now. There isn't a whole lot more you can do at this point unless you liberate some dollars from your wallet and get a mic and new sub. If it's a choice between the 2 (you can only afford one of them), get a new sub. The SB1000 you were considering would be a very significant step up in performance and overall quality. I believe that a new sub will make much a bigger difference than the mic will, tho the mic can help you dial it in even better.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The silver gold colour you mean? Thats retro my friend. Trying to represent older ones...
İf you are nostalgic type, its a great colour
Yup! Lol.

I know you might resist this because of color and size, but if you were to get this PB1000 and set it up in your room I think it will knock your socks off. True night and day difference compared to your current sub. I understand aesthetics but good sound is my priority first, looks are second. My subs are big and they ain't pretty like some are, but they're not ugly. They'll rattle every window in the house when I want them to and they can be subtle and sound fantastic for music too.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Totally within the realms of possibility, lol.

@killbill13, just to repeat, you've done a great job with what you have right now. There isn't a whole lot more you can do at this point unless you liberate some dollars from your wallet and get a mic and new sub. If it's a choice between the 2 (you can only afford one of them), get a new sub. The SB1000 you were considering would be a very significant step up in performance and overall quality. I believe that a new sub will make much a bigger difference than the mic will, tho the mic can help you dial it in even better.
Just a question.

The Advance Acoustic Kubik subwoofer K-SUB 200 offers modern, sober and harmonious lines, it fits anywhere. Combined with two 25 cm woofers, the 200 watts RMS amplifier restores the low frequencies with amazing power. The bass control is complete and powerful. It could be easily integrated into a performant "Home Theater" system.

See the bold. Are there subswoofers specially for music? This is considered as one. Specially for Jazz music.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a question.

The Advance Acoustic Kubik subwoofer K-SUB 200 offers modern, sober and harmonious lines, it fits anywhere. Combined with two 25 cm woofers, the 200 watts RMS amplifier restores the low frequencies with amazing power. The bass control is complete and powerful. It could be easily integrated into a performant "Home Theater" system.

See the bold. Are there subswoofers specially for music? This is considered as one. Specially for Jazz music.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with the bold print. It's advertisement and really has nothing to do with how it performs or what you're actually hearing (or not hearing, in this case nothing below 50 hz). I think that any well built sub will work for music whether ported or sealed. In my opinion SVS makes some of the cleanest, most musical subs I've heard.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just a question.

There is no such thing as musical sub. Subs are there to fill the low end and any quality sub will sound good with music as well when setup correctly. BK Elec subs I linked before are one of the best in European market for the value. I have been running 2 for couple years and I have been really happy with them.

One thing to consider when testing your sub is source material as well, as music and movies are not mastered to same standards all the time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a question.

LOL how do you make a sub "for Jazz music" let alone music generally?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
According to Parts-Express, some subwoofers are designed for high definition sound quality and others more for automotive and compact equalized home audio installations. Examples are the Dayton RSS390HF-4 for vented box designs and the RSS390HO-4 for automotive and compact sealed enclosures.

For critical music listening and better performance, the HF version is superior. I use three of these in my HT system and I can get a solid response down to 20 Hz without any EQ.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
According to Parts-Express, some subwoofers are designed for high definition sound quality and others more for automotive and compact equalized home audio installations. Examples are the Dayton RSS390HF-4 for vented box designs and the RSS390HO-4 for automotive and compact sealed enclosures.

For critical music listening and better performance, the HF version is superior. I use three of these in my HT system and I can get a solid response down to 20 Hz without any EQ.
Okay, point take....so how do you make one for jazz particularly like this manufacturer claims? ;) You're just talking about appropriate drivers for a sub application....a good accurate sub will still be fine for either. A music only sub, depending on the music you like, may not need to dig as deep, tho.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Okay, point take....so how do you make one for jazz particularly like this manufacturer claims? ;) You're just talking about appropriate drivers for a sub application....a good accurate sub will still be fine for either. A music only sub, depending on the music you like, may not need to dig as deep, tho.
The official greek seller claims it actually, in a review article posted in a greek sound magazine. İt claims its a music subwoofer with harmonic, delicate and clean tones, and Jazz sounds very well. İt admits somewhere in article that is not for movies at it doesnt play loud low.
İt says also that the Equalizer gives it boost low but it destroys the sound.
İ can give you the link but its in greek and its an image.
The manufacturer’s official website writes the text i posted some posts up.(harmonic modern and sober tones....)

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well it said that sealed have less group delay that ported subs, if that is indeed true, the sealed sub would be preferred over ported. I don't know if that claim has been substantiated through objective testing. There is a gentlemen here with Audioholics that claim " group delay" could be audible. Tight bass is considered "musical" bass without a lot of over hang.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The official greek seller claims it actually, in a review article posted in a greek sound magazine. İt claims its a music subwoofer with harmonic, delicate and clean tones, and Jazz sounds very well. İt admits somewhere in article that is not for movies at it doesnt play loud low.
İt says also that the Equalizer gives it boost low but it destroys the sound.
İ can give you the link but its in greek and its an image.
The manufacturer’s official website writes the text i posted some posts up.(harmonic modern and sober tones....)
That sounds like an excuse for the reason it won't play very low...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well it said that sealed have less group delay that ported subs, if that is indeed true, the sealed sub would be preferred over ported. I don't know if that claim has been substantiated through objective testing. There is a gentlemen here with Audioholics that claim " group delay" could be audible. Tight bass is considered "musical" bass without a lot of over hang.
Pretty much every group delay chart I’ve seen, of a quality subwoofer has placed it well below the freq range of music, like 20hz and lower. IMO, this makes that claim unfounded, and not applicable. As far as GD being an issue in that range, I doubt anyone will notice if Godzilla’s foot stomps have a little extra ringing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well @killbill13, you're here and you seem very dissatisfied with your sub's performance below 50 hz so something isn't right for you. Subs that can play much deeper will sound just as good (in the case of the sub you have now, I think better) for music as anything. I can see an argument for using a lower quality sub for home theater only and you could get by, but not very good for music. Any of the subs we've been recommending are fantastic for music. I'll repeat, SVS has the cleanest sounding subs I've heard and they're very, very good for music or home theater.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis