Connecting Martin Logan powered Aeon and Script speakers

G

Gail

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope someone can help me with my concerns. I inherited my deceased father's older ADCOM Mosfet GFA 5500 amp which I don't plan to use and an older Marantz SR 8000 A/V Home Theater Receiver which I'm using. I was told I connected the Martin Logan Aeon's and Script's which are both Hybrid Electrostatic speakers incorrrectly to the Receiver. I was told I could blow out the receiver and/or start a fire. Both pair of speakers obviously are powered and require AC connectivity. Currently I have them connected directly to the standard speaker terminals on the rear of the receiver using regular 14 gauage speaker wire. I was told because the speakers are all powered, they should be connected to the pre-out RCA terminals for L/R Front, Sub and Center speakers on the rear of the receiver . The problem with that, there isn't enough RCA outputs to accommodate the two pairs of speakers and again I'm not using the ADCOM due to space issues. Is it a problem leaving all the speakers connected directly to the standard speaker terminals. Am I backfeeding AC voltage from the speakers back into the Receiver? :(

My Dad loved his stereo set-up, I'm fortunate to have it, but the last thing I want to do is ruin it or start a fire. Any information someone can provide will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I can’t see where either speaker has any RCA input jacks, so advice you were given to use the ARV’s pre-outs to the speakers is bogus.

Judging from the manual, these are not “powered” speakers in the traditional sense, which would mean they would have built-in amplifiers. The electrical connection is for “energizing the electrostatic cells,” according to the manual. Beyond that, they connect to the amplifier with standard speaker wire, just like any other speaker.

Here’s the manual. For some reason the Script and Aeon link to the same manual.

https://2017.martinlogan.com/pdf/manuals/manual_script.pdf

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You're good!
I have Martin-Logan Vista hybrid electrostats.
They plug in the wall to create the static charge, but are fed speaker level signal from receiver.
Like Wayne says, you do not have a connection for a pre-amp level signal!
I suspect your friend (or whoever) is assuming your speakers are like active pro-audio monitors (which have amps in the speakers) because it plugs into an AC outlet!
Sorry about your dad, but it is great that you have something like this to share his passion for quality sound.
Enjoy his electrostats. They are magic when you are listening in that perfect sweet spot!

G

Gail

Audiophyte
You're good!
They plug in the wall to create the static charge, but are fed speaker level signal from receiver.
I suspect your friend (or whoever) is assuming your speakers are like active pro-audio monitors (which have amps in the speakers) because it plugs into an AC outlet!
Sorry about your dad, but it is great that you have something like this to share his passion for quality sound.
Enjoy his electrostats. They are magic when you are listening in that perfect sweet spot!
Than
You're good!
Thank you Wayne and Kew for responding !!!

I called Martin Logan, they informed me, said it's okay to use standard speaker terminals at the back of receiver. The tech also suggested calling Marantz to inquire what their recommendation is for my specific receiver, which I did.

For kicks and giggles I decided to connect the ADCOM amp, its sitting on an old sub temporarily with the Aeon's connected to it and AMP to the pre-out on the back of the receiver, the Script's run directly off the receiver. The amp isn't really needed for my set-up, I have more than enough power off the receiver, however I wanted to make sure it still worked. My dad used it, their entire house was internally wired when they built the place, including outdoors.

Kew I've got to say the receiver and room design is everything from flooring walls, furniture, etcetera. In my parent's house the system sounded phenomenal no matter where you were in the the house with just the Aeon and Script's on. The clarity waa, you heard every note. On the otherhand in my home it took some tweeking of channel levels on the reciver and the correct position of the speakers to find the sweet spots where I can turn the volume up to a decent level and go from room to room and still appreciate the sound as if I were in the room with the system. I have rather electic taste for music, so I listen to anything from jazz, rock, R&B, country and classical, everything sounds wonderful, the system is great and I'm grateful to have it. Ironically my electronics crapped out several months before my dad passed.

As for the manual, I'm old school and saying goes if you don't use it you lose it. I understood this stuff better in my younger days, so at first I scrathed my head a little, I'm okay now.

In ending, if one of you can tell me what the technical name for the gadget in the photo is, I'd appreciate that. I know its for speaker and amp connectivity.
IMAG0212-20190921-200208262.jpg
The thing that's throwing me off the word "Tap" printed on the board, which makes me think of cable or satelite TV.
Thanks again guys!!!
IMAG0212-20190921-200208262.jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, I am clueless on that.
I might guess @WaynePflughaupt , @TLS Guy , or @PENG can help with identification of the images above!

PS - I don't know how familiar you are with forums, but you don't need to contact them. The way I listed their names will notify them to look at this post.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They can fill a house nicely, but in my experience, no matter how good the sound can be elsewhere, there is a very magical spot where you are perfectly located between (and in front of) the speakers where the resolution is absolutely amazing!

G

Gail

Audiophyte
They can fill a house nicely, but in my experience, no matter how good the sound can be elsewhere, there is a very magical spot where you are perfectly located between (and in front of) the speakers where the resolution is absolutely amazing!
Yes, most definitely. I've been spending too much time planted as you say in that sweet spot, lol. . .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis