At It Again, Broke Out The Umik

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Bass like BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH and highs like SSSSSSS!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been reading up on the Schroeder frequency (thanks to a comment by @ryanosaur) and played around a little bit with RTA in REW. I need to do some more reading, but I am interested in doing a deeper dive into REW. The room simulator looks like it might be pretty cool, but setting it up isn't exactly intuitive.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've been reading up on the Schroeder frequency (thanks to a comment by @ryanosaur) and played around a little bit with RTA in REW. I need to do some more reading, but I am interested in doing a deeper dive into REW. The room simulator looks like it might be pretty cool, but setting it up isn't exactly intuitive.
I used the cheater formula, @Pogre : look at the graphs, and where the jagged resonant responses stop... that’s the Schroeder Frequency for your room. :p
A little shy on the scientific, side... but it works. :cool:

I experimented for a while, using Aud to correct everything. Then I built into my curve, my own custom MRC at less than half the usual impact, but a little wider... a gentle swale as opposed to the extinction-level-impact-crater that MRC usually creates. :eek: :p
Long story short, I set the limiter to just at the last jags of my LF response curve, and I’m stoked.
As I have time to become a REW master like some of you guys... I will. But for now... stoked.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used the cheater formula, @Pogre : look at the graphs, and where the jagged resonant responses stop... that’s the Schroeder Frequency for your room. :p
A little shy on the scientific, side... but it works. :cool:

I experimented for a while, using Aud to correct everything. Then I built into my curve, my own custom MRC at less than half the usual impact, but a little wider... a gentle swale as opposed to the extinction-level-impact-crater that MRC usually creates. :eek::p
Long story short, I set the limiter to just at the last jags of my LF response curve, and I’m stoked.
As I have time to become a REW master like some of you guys... I will. But for now... stoked.
Thanks for the reply and tips, that's why I tagged you, lol. I have a ways to go before I claim any kind of master status myself. I'll bet I'm not much (if any) further ahead than you are. I do understand enough to know exactly what you're talking about when you say "where the jagged resonant responses stop" tho and will take a couple of full sweeps and make note of it.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the reply and tips, that's why I tagged you, lol. I have a ways to go before I claim any kind of master status myself. I'll bet I'm not much (if any) further ahead than you are. I do understand enough to know exactly what you're talking about when you say "where the jagged resonant responses stop" tho and will take a couple of full sweeps and make note of it.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/a-summary-of-how-i-optimize-subwoofers-in-a-system-take-1.15802/

This is a fantastic checklist that I use. It's from Mark Seaton at Seaton Sound.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Audyssey modifies frequency at the expense of phase
Not according to Chris K (top Audyssey guy). I'm not the one who asked, but yeah. I think I'll take his word for it.

You should probably research a little more carefully when making statements like that off the cuff so you're not disseminating false info...
341-1.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's my phase chart, tho I don't know how to interpret it. I don't post them because every time I have, not one single person has commented on it. Everyone is focused on SPL. I've posted ALL of my charts before and not gotten any comments on any of them except spl. I wouldn't mind having someone explain to me what I'm looking at here...

9-24-19 phase.jpg

Got a little house curve going there. To me it just looks like the spl chart with a blue line running through the middle...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As far as I remember, going way back to when I first read about rew the recommendation was to ignore the phase info unless specifically needing it. The one that I’m a little concerned with is the waterfall. I don’t know how you have the chart set(I’m no expert there) but it looks like a lot of ringing to me. In the help menu it covers this in fair detail.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As far as I remember, going way back to when I first read about rew the recommendation was to ignore the phase info unless specifically needing it. The one that I’m a little concerned with is the waterfall. I don’t know how you have the chart set(I’m no expert there) but it looks like a lot of ringing to me. In the help menu it covers this in fair detail.
I see the same thing. I was doing sweeps while my hvac was going and wonder if that's where some of it is coming from. When it gets quieter here I'll do a fresh sweep and post it up.

How about group delay? I have no idea if that's a good response or not.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
BTW, thank you for pointing opportunities out in a positive and helpful way. Unlike some who tend to be more derisive and negative...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I removed all filters and turned MultEQ off, then did 2 sub sweeps, left and right. Ugly. Clearly the sub on the right is not happy.
subs left-right.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's both together.

subs both.jpg
both subs waterfall.jpg

Included the Waterfall too. I see ringing still, with no Audyssey and no filtering. Sigh...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I took the sub on the right and stacked it on top of the one on the left and took another sweep.

subs stacked.jpg

Here's the before/after stacking them.

subs stacked overlay.jpg

As of right now one thing is obvious to me, I need to find a new home for one of my subs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello? Anyone here? HELLO? Huh. I seem to have fallen into a rabbit hole and there's nothing here except 2 big ass, heavy subwoofers. Wonder what's gonna happen when I COMPLETELY REPOSITION THEM by moving them both to the sides..?

20190924_105609-1305x734.jpg
20190924_105909-1305x734.jpg
20190924_110005-1305x734.jpg

You can see the sub in the left bottom corner and the open room on the right in that last image. Couple quick questions, is the sub behind the sectional close enough to be considered nearfield? Also, do I have them in what looks like optimal placement on the sides of the room(s)? I'm gonna run a few sweeps with no PEQ and MultEQ OFF just to see if the placement gets me somewhere in the ballpark. If so I'll run Audyssey again to get the distances and levels matched up and test again.

If you guys don't hear from me in a couple of hours send out a search party and leave some breadcrumbs. This is one huge, dark rabbit hole I'm getting lost in... :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well that just made everything suck... The nearfield sub measures horribly before and after Audyssey, sigh. Back up front they go. Might stack 'em both on the left side, where they measured much better (terrible on the right, even my main right speaker measures horribly) and run setup again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis