Infinity Composition Overture 1

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking at the pic - Wow, those really are small!
Hard to imagine an 8" driver can fit on the side without intruding on the rest of the speaker!
But I do like it when tiny boxes put out big sound!
They'd be perfect for apartment dwellers. With most music you can get away without a subwoofer and they're small enough that they don't take up a lot of space. They're heavy tho. Almost 30 lbs apiece!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Friend of mine had these and I thought they sounded pretty darn good.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Friend of mine had these and I thought they sounded pretty darn good.
I think the same. I'm pretty tickled with these. I've been running them full range and they sound great. They can get plenty loud without losing composure, tho I haven't cranked 'em (above -15) yet. The built in amps make me a little nervous, lol. They're more sensitive than the Ultras so they're a little louder at -15.

*Edit: Okay, -15 with some heavier bass is about as much as they can handle full range. I caught a little bit of distortion. With subs engaged it completely disappeared. I took the grill off of one and have been watching that 8" driver dance, lol.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the same. I'm pretty tickled with these. I've been running them full range and they sound great. They can get plenty loud without losing composure, tho I haven't cranked 'em (above -15) yet. The built in amps make me a little nervous, lol. They're more sensitive than the Ultras so they're a little louder at -15.

*Edit: Okay, -15 with some heavier bass is about as much as they can handle full range. I caught a little bit of distortion. With subs engaged it completely disappeared. I took the grill off of one and have been watching that 8" driver dance, lol.
Where do they cross between the woofer and mids? (if you know).
It makes sense a sub would take the lion's share of the load off of the powered woofer and be an easy way to "play it safe" with those amps!
I bet these speakers are not putting much load on your AVR at all!
Stylistically, this seems like the right amp:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where do they cross between the woofer and mids? (if you know).
It makes sense a sub would take the lion's share of the load off of the powered woofer and be an easy way to "play it safe" with those amps!
I bet these speakers are not putting much load on your AVR at all!
Stylistically, this seems like the right amp:
According to GraysOnline they're crossed at 300 hz and 3000 hz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I've spent some quality time with these now and the more I hear the more I like them. These are pretty accurate, neutral sounding speakers. The unique design and sound quality make for an intriguing speaker. I'm not in a hurry to flip them and plan to keep listening for a little while. This was a score for $35. It's not uncommon to find these with blown or replaced amps and/or drivers or refoamed. These bad boys are all original and working like champs.

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
It's an old thread, but I'm going to weigh in anyway.
I've had the OVTR 1 for 20 years. Bought them new. Never saw any reason to replace them since my listening environment has never been what you might call large. They were initially part of a Denon 5.1 system with an Infinity CC3 center channel. (voice matched to the OVTR). Never added a sub until much later as the OVTR's have nice bass response. Very much a NEWBY to home theatre at the time and I'm no guru now.
It wasn't until I upgraded the AV receiver to a Sherwood Newcastle R-972 that I really fully appreciated the OVTR,
but the real enhancement came with the addition of the stands. Truly amazing. If you can find them, I would recommend snatching them up.
I recently added a Marantz SR-5013 and that has taken them up another notch, especially with stereo playback.
I paid $650 for the pair back in 2000. I venture I would have to spend 4x's that to even match what I have now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis