Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have an Amazon Dot Echo connected to my Denon 4500 in the Cd input. I have the Firestick connected to the Media input.

Do I need both connected?

When I use the smart tv to access Netflix etc, the receiver overlay is not visible on the tv, so I use the tv audio button.

Would the Firestick provide better performance if I run it through the tv instead of the receiver?

Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Depending on the TV you are using and the streaming services you are using, you may have better results with the Firestick for streaming applications over the built-in apps on your TV. This is dependent on the TV you are using and how seriously they have taken their own take on streaming services.
Audio can be better from some services using an external device due to the limitations of digital audio from the TV to the receiver.
For me, it's about the better usability and consistent remote that we get with our Roku devices vs. the built-in features and what others offer.

Amazon Echo is mostly about the voice control. Not sure if it's integrated to turn on the receiver or do other things in your home, but the Echo is perhaps not the best audio you may get, but it may be the most convenient way for you to listen to things and control things.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Like BMXTRIX said, using the apps on your "smart TV" is often not the way to go if you have external devices available that do the same function. I do not use any of the apps on my "smart TVs" because I have Roku on one and an Apple TV unit on the other. They give me better sound and they handle all the login chores pretty well. I can also add apps to them. My dumbass smart TV won't let me add apps that aren't originally installed by the manufacturer.

You however may have some condition that you like using the smart TV and in that case, keep it up.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I have an Amazon Dot Echo connected to my Denon 4500 in the Cd input. I have the Firestick connected to the Media input.

Do I need both connected?

When I use the smart tv to access Netflix etc, the receiver overlay is not visible on the tv, so I use the tv audio button.

Would the Firestick provide better performance if I run it through the tv instead of the receiver?

Thanks!
I use Alexa voice commands to list to music from Spotify or tidal on my Denon. “Alexa play my rock playlist from Spotify on family room”. You create groups in the Alexa app and issue speakers tv lights ect for each group. My tv is Alexa compatible too off on pause stop. If you take the time to set it up it’s pretty cool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis