Hoping for knowledgeable opinion

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sub...

...woofer.

:p
Yep. This...
I know, beating that drum again. But I agree with @Pogre. Bass underpins everything, and it’s almost always overlooked. I don’t think you need a monster that hits 115db at 10hz, but respectfully, the one you have is not very capable, especially with the volume levels you’re looking for. Not saying that to beat you up. Just speaking from my experience, and hoping to help circumvent gods money after bad.
I also agree with the others in that, the rtia7 isn’t a bad speaker. It just isn’t suited for what YOU want to do with it. IMO, you’d be a good candidate for the aforementioned JBL 580/590 or some klipsch towers. I’ve also seen that the 7’s can benefit from an amp, but I think @PENG covered that.

S

Sparkus

Junior Audioholic
My thought was to upgrade the sub, simply because I sized it for the ancient Technics 5.1, again before I started learning. The Sony center actually seems to handle everything fine and I go to 2.1 with no sub for music so the center is probably fine.

Was your advice to replace or add a sub?

I did get the mains to sound far better, finally :). Much more clarity.

S

Sparkus

Junior Audioholic
Is it that the sub is under rated? I intended on replacing it after I got the RTi's thinking it was not big enough.

I did get the mains sounding better but they may not be what I'm after. I think I really should visit some local system retailers and listen to some different equipment. Now that I have these Rti's at least playing better I can relax a little and not rush into a mistake.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it that the sub is under rated? I intended on replacing it after I got the RTi's thinking it was not big enough.

I did get the mains sounding better but they may not be what I'm after. I think I really should visit some local system retailers and listen to some different equipment. Now that I have these Rti's at least playing better I can relax a little and not rush into a mistake.
Yes. I would look at replacing your subwoofage. SVS, RSL and Hsu are great places to start. I personally think Hsu is about as good as it gets for cost/performance ratio.

S

Sparkus

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Pogre. I did learn a lot this weekend..., I'll check them out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Pogre. I did learn a lot this weekend..., I'll check them out.
I've called Hsu and they were really helpful. If you give them a call I'm sure one of them can help guide you into something that works for your space. SVS has almost unparalleled customer service and a very generous return policy. I know they'd be more than happy to hear from you too. I think SVS make nicer looking subs, but you pay a little more for the aesthetics and return policy with them. Great looking subs that play very deep tho. Like I said earlier, better performance/cost ratio with Hsu.

S

Sparkus

Junior Audioholic
I'm not rich but I'm not afraid to spend money for what I want and what is going to get the job done, so I'll look at anything. If it takes a year to build a system that I love, I'll do that...if more then more. I want good music Pogre...been a long time...I'm hungry for it....thank you, I'll look at them. There's a lot to audio....I bought a Technics system 20 years ago and loved it....now...theres so much better...so much more. I actually hardly used the Technics system over that 20 years....given it was 20 years. :) As I said, I also delving into the media side of things....a lot there too. Not every CD or song is produced equally. BIG learning curve ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not rich but I'm not afraid to spend money for what I want and what is going to get the job done, so I'll look at anything. If it takes a year to build a system that I love, I'll do that...if more then more. I want good music Pogre...been a long time...I'm hungry for it....thank you, I'll look at them. There's a lot to audio....I bought a Technics system 20 years ago and loved it....now...theres so much better...so much more. I actually hardly used the Technics system over that 20 years....given it was 20 years. :) As I said, I also delving into the media side of things....a lot there too. Not every CD or song is produced equally. BIG learning curve ;)
You and I share the same passion and it wasn't too awful long ago, the same learning curve. You look like you're getting your arms around it tho and that's when it starts becoming kinda fun. Not being in a hurry and using a patient approach is a good attitude and more rewarding in the end. It took me about 2 years and a few $$$ mistakes to get where I am now and I'm in a pretty good place. I know there's better out there (I've heard it),but I also feel pretty confident I spent my budget as best I could for what I was wanting to achieve.

Now you can have some fun and enjoy the journey. Good luck and hit us up if you need advice or wanna give an update! We love pics and updates!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis