EQ Settings on Denon 4400 and narrowing down subs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just recently downloaded the Audyssey app. I have been listening with Dynamic EQ on, I'm starting to come around to what I'm hearing. I just have to switch between setting between 0 and 5 when watching movies and listening to music, that's why I was wondering about a quick switch on the remote.
Perhaps using a universal remote you could set a macro to use the different settings/modes you prefer when switiching between music/movies....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps using a universal remote you could set a macro to use the different settings/modes you prefer when switiching between music/movies....
This is what I do with my Logitech Harmony remote, though I use QuickSelect buttons to setup how I want it on my Denon and the corresponding QuickSelect button is then used as part of starting an "activity" like watching movie, listening music.

In the Harmony database there is actually 5 QuickSelection buttons available, one more than on a Denon remote.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is what I do with my Logitech Harmony remote, though I use QuickSelect buttons to setup how I want it on my Denon and the corresponding QuickSelect button is then used as part of starting an "activity" like watching movie, listening music.

In the Harmony database there is actually 5 QuickSelection buttons available, one more than on a Denon remote.
I glanced at the 4400 manual, would quick select cover specifically a change in RLO?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I glanced at the 4400 manual, would quick select cover specifically a change in RLO?
It does for my X4200W, and there are a lot of other settings that are stored/recalled by the QuickSelect. In the start of an activity I put the QuickSelect after that the other devices have powered on (using a delay).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just recently downloaded the Audyssey app. I have been listening with Dynamic EQ on, I'm starting to come around to what I'm hearing. I just have to switch between setting between 0 and 5 when watching movies and listening to music, that's why I was wondering about a quick switch on the remote.
Agreed, hopefully future FW updates would address that. For movies I also typically set it the ref offset to 0, fibre TV to 5 or even 10, and for you Y-Tube, it's all over the map between 0 and 15, obviously.

Keep in mind the Editor App allows you to shape the curve, but unless you run REW to see the results and repeat the process a few time, you will never know how well the actual results follow the target curve. If you go by ears, you better have good ears and luck, otherwise it may take forever. I would be willing to pay 10X for the App if it actually measures the actual results and show the graphs target vs actual, and better still, recommend the next manual adjustment, since it obvious couldn't it it in auto (otherwise the actual will follow the target closely). It is complicated to explain so you may not know what I am talking about lol..

As it is now, with the App, I bet Audyssey, if used with REW, has surpassed Anthem ARC in terms of EQ between 15-250 Hz performance, but not Dirac Live.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This has always been a frustration of Deq for me too. I’ve experimented with it in the past but now just leave it off. Something else I learned, is that Deq doesn’t do anything to the top front speakers, maybe top rears. (Damn, can’t remember now. Ugh) How dumb is that?
Really, I never pay much much attention to that, but then my expectation of my Atmos channels has never been that high to begin with.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Agreed, hopefully future FW updates would address that. For movies I also typically set it the ref offset to 0, fibre TV to 5 or even 10, and for you Y-Tube, it's all over the map between 0 and 15, obviously.

Keep in mind the Editor App allows you to shape the curve, but unless you run REW to see the results and repeat the process a few time, you will never know how well the actual results follow the target curve. If you go by ears, you better have good ears and luck, otherwise it may take forever. I would be willing to pay 10X for the App if it actually measures the actual results and show the graphs target vs actual, and better still, recommend the next manual adjustment, since it obvious couldn't it it in auto (otherwise the actual will follow the target closely). It is complicated to explain so you may not know what I am talking about lol..

As it is now, with the App, I bet Audyssey, if used with REW, has surpassed Anthem ARC in terms of EQ between 15-250 Hz performance, but not Dirac Live.
Unfortunately for me I need to purchase a new laptop, which I plan to probably around black Friday or earlier next year, to download REW and get the Umik. My current lap is too old and slow. In meantime I'm have take (blindly) what Audyssey is giving me.

Also, how do you use the app to eq only the 15-250 region?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately for me I need to purchase a new laptop, which I plan to probably around black Friday or earlier next year, to download REW and get the Umik. My current lap is too old and slow. In meantime I'm have take (blindly) what Audyssey is giving me.

I used a lowly Acer notebook (not even considered a laptop) with an AMD processor, though I did add 2 GB Ram to boost it to a total of 4 GB. IIRC, I bought it from Costco for around C$200, about 10 years ago. It is slow, but it seems good enough for REW. I also use much more powerful Macbook pro, but the results obtained using either, are the same.

For such old and slow PC, you should download the version that includes JRE, I believe it is a 32 bit installer.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used a lowly Acer notebook (not even considered a laptop) with an AMD processor, though I did add 2 GB Ram to boost it to a total of 4 GB. IIRC, I bought it from Costco for around C$200, about 10 years ago. It is slow, but it seems good enough for REW. I also use much more powerful Macbook pro, but the results obtained using either, are the same.

For such old and slow PC, you should download the version that includes JRE, I believe it is a 32 bit installer.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Same here. I'm using an old, retired laptop with 4 gb ram and it works really well. No problems.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure if the parameters of Dynamic EQ can be altered this way, but one often overlooked feature of the newer Denons is it remembers settings unique to what input is selected. For example, I have the subwoofer level turned up +5dB for my DVD player, but leave it at 0 for my CD player input. That way I get the extra Boom I like in movies, but not for music where it would be annoying! (my CD and DVD player are actually the same Oppo 103D but I run the HDMI to my DVD input and Toslink to my CD input).
So, try this -
Select your CD Player input (or whatever source you use for music) and change the offset to -5. Go back to your Movie input and see if it changed to -5 (or change it to 0 if you may have left it at -5). Go back to the CD input and verify that it is still at -5. If so, problem solved!
Let me know if it works for the Dynamic EQ offset!
If you stream movies and music from the same source, just get a splitter (for HDMI or whatever type of connector you use) so you can select the same source as two different inputs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is a feature of the app to allow you to choose the frequency range you want to apply Audyssey to!
I am not one to upgrade my AVR very quickly, but I found this app a compelling reason to buy a new AVR!
Having a bit more control over Audyssey is a wonderful thing!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Really, I never pay much much attention to that, but then my expectation of my Atmos channels has never been that high to begin with.
I can’t say I’ve verified this from my own investigation. I remember reading about it on the “other” forum. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

R

RTG

Audioholic
Yeah I’ve turned DEQ OFF. I limit MultiEQ to 300hz, oof, sounds much better. More detail in the highs, like a blanket has been lifted. Prefer the Flat bass ass well. Doesn’t call attention to itself. The surrounds are much too loud with DEQ on.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yeah I’ve turned DEQ OFF. I limit MultiEQ to 300hz, oof, sounds much better. More detail in the highs, like a blanket has been lifted. Prefer the Flat bass ass well. Doesn’t call attention to itself. The surrounds are much too loud with DEQ on.
That setting doesn't work that well for movies, DEQ off.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is an ambiguous statement!

Are you saying "That setting - DEQ off - doesn't work well for movies"?
Or "That setting doesn't work that well for movies, DEQ should be turned off."

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
That is an ambiguous statement!

Are you saying "That setting - DEQ off - doesn't work well for movies"?
Or "That setting doesn't work that well for movies, DEQ should be turned off."
I guess I poorly worded it. In my opinion, DEQ turned on is better for movies.

R

RTG

Audioholic
Umm, yes it does. I’m not saying DEQ is bad because it’s not but it does make surrounds overpowering and depending on the movie exaggerated low end. I just think this statement is really silly. I have a treated dedicated theatre room and listen near Reference volume. DEQ does nothing for me anymore. When I was living in apartments it was a must have. Actually EQ in general doesn’t sound as good in my room. I like the way my speakers sound only want my bass regions corrected.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Umm, yes it does. I’m not saying DEQ is bad because it’s not but it does make surrounds overpowering and depending on the movie exaggerated low end. I just think this statement is really silly. I have a treated dedicated theatre room and listen near Reference volume. DEQ does nothing for me anymore. When I was living in apartments it was a must have. Actually EQ in general doesn’t sound as good in my room. I like the way my speakers sound only want my bass regions corrected.
Sounds like you experienced what some experts said about EQ above the room transition frequency, that the measurements would not reliable, and may make things better or worse depending on the room acoustic environment. In my room it doesn't make an audible difference to me either way, so I limit it to 500 or 600 Hziirc.

R

RTG

Audioholic
Sounds like you experienced what some experts said about EQ above the room transition frequency, that the measurements would not reliable, and may make things better or worse depending on the room acoustic environment. In my room it doesn't make an audible difference to me either way, so I limit it to 500 or 600 Hziirc.
Yes. When I first moved into my newly built room it absolutely needed EQ. Bass was sloppy, lacked impact. Highs were bright etc. I had Paradigm Monitors at the time. I couldn’t find a good balance. Flat curve was bright, Reference was dull. I had a Denon X3000 with only XT. When I moved to a Marantz 7009 the Flat curve sounded better and DEQ was improved by a great deal. I ended up selling my speakers going with Klipsch Reference Premieres, then I went with a Denon X4300. I was using the Flat curve with DEQ on. It wasn’t until last January that I decided to use the app so I could limit MultiEQ. It sounded good but not perfect, that led me to installing acoustic panels and more soft furnishings. My room is 13 for wide, 20ft deep with 8 fat ceilings. The first half is treated, the other half open with the back wall covered with bookcases housing my movie collection. The treated half isn’t quite dead but it has barely any echo. I’m very pleased with the sound. It sounds much better without EQ messing with the highs.

IMO commercial theatres don’t sound anything like DEQ. Surrounds aren’t blaring and bass isn’t overly pronounced.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Is it really a fact that the surround channels are boosted with dynamic EQ engaged, if so, by how many decibels?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis