Hsu vtf3 mk3. Worth it?

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
So I'm curious on your thoughts. I have 2 jbl pb 10s. Only subs I've owned and to me they pound. I know, it's like saying I own a 4 cylinder turbo and it's fast until you get in a zl1. My question is I have a chance to get a hsu vtf3 mk3 about an hour away for 100 bucks. From what I read it is a great sub. I was thinking on getting it to add to my jbls but didn't know if it's a worthwhile deal. Is 100 a good used deal and is it a sub I should jump on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So I'm curious on your thoughts. I have 2 jbl pb 10s. Only subs I've owned and to me they pound. I know, it's like saying I own a 4 cylinder turbo and it's fast until you get in a zl1. My question is I have a chance to get a hsu vtf3 mk3 about an hour away for 100 bucks. From what I read it is a great sub. I was thinking on getting it to add to my jbls but didn't know if it's a worthwhile deal. Is 100 a good used deal and is it a sub I should jump on?

If it is in good condition, yes, it it absolutely worth it.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Shady, I plan on keeping the pb10's and running all 3. Is it ok to mix the subs. K know the hsu is better than the jbls but I'm looking to equal out the bass through the room. Would there be any downsides to running all 3 together? Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, I plan on keeping the pb10's and running all 3. Is it ok to mix the subs. K know the hsu is better than the jbls but I'm looking to equal out the bass through the room. Would there be any downsides to running all 3 together? Thanks

For the purposes of evening out bass throughout the room, there is no problem running all the subs together. It's not normally ideal to run subs of such different performance characteristics, but adding the Hsu sub will only help out in this case.

Remember that if you want to run it in extension mode, one of the ports must be plugged. Do not try to run the sub in extension mode with both ports open.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
For the purposes of evening out bass throughout the room, there is no problem running all the subs together. It's not normally ideal to run subs of such different performance characteristics, but adding the Hsu sub will only help out in this case.

Remember that if you want to run it in extension mode, one of the ports must be plugged. Do not try to run the sub in extension mode with both ports open.
Extension mode is go lower correct? I know the pb's don't dig deep like this one that why I wanted to pair them all. Keep the spl up but also get a bit more grunt out of the lowend

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Extension mode is go lower correct? I know the pb's don't dig deep like this one that why I wanted to pair them all. Keep the spl up but also get a bit more grunt out of the lowend

Yeah. Aka "EQ 1". Never use EQ 1 unless at least 1 port is plugged.

A hunnert bucks?! Yup. That's a great deal. If in good shape I say go for it!

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Thanks guys. Def appreciate the help. I guess the ex left it in the divorce so she wants it out. My gain lol. Another question. It's an hour drive and I drove for a sub once and got it home and it turned on but dead. So I don't wanna lose 100 plus waste my time. If it was the ex's I don't think she has a receiver to test it. Is there a way to test and make sure it works. I can plug it in I'd just like to hear it work. Any thoughts

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you can plug it in, just run a tone through anything that can take an RCA adapter. If your phone has a 1/8" jack, get a 1/8" to male RCA adapter, and run a bass tone from your phone from a youtube bass tone video or something like that.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
If you can plug it in, just run a tone through anything that can take an RCA adapter. If your phone has a 1/8" jack, get a 1/8" to male RCA adapter, and run a bass tone from your phone from a youtube bass tone video or something like that.
You are a life saver Shady. Just rigged a rca to Jack and it works. All this time and I never thought of that. Now I don't need to worry if they can hook it up. Def a big thanks. Looks like she can't do it today so hopefully tomorrow

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Well I picked up the sub. It has a cherry finish. All I can say is this thing is a beast. I've been playing in the world of pint size subs. Can't wait to find it's spot, dial it in and hear what she can do. Super excited

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, that looks totally different than mine. I dig the cherry finish.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I picked up the sub. It has a cherry finish. All I can say is this thing is a beast. I've been playing in the world of pint size subs. Can't wait to find it's spot, dial it in and hear what she can do. Super excited

Nice. How excited is the person behind it? :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Remember that if you want the 16 Hz extension, you need to create an air tight seal in one of the ports. I don't imagine that the seller knew to include or still possessed the port plug. That is not a big deal, as the port can be plugged with anything that doesn't let air escape. A polyurethane foam chunk would do the trick.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
To answer some questions....no she didn't include the plugs. I agree I can make some up and wow the air pushed thru these ports is ( bad word) insane. 2nd. The wife likes the home theater but detests the bass. With this HSU I feel I've been living in beginners land with the jbls compared to what this thing puts out. I was watching a dts hd trailer of JP fallen kingdom. When the t rex is walking the sub is Killing the house lol. My side door to the furnace was being beaten by the air pressure.

So here's a question. I still haven't rerun audessey until I can get a quiet house. I have a denon 4400. The num 1 sub out I have both jbls up front run off num 1 with a y connector. The hsu is run thru number 2. I did this as I watched the lasted video of Gene saying how to run more than 2 subs. I think my next purchase needs to be a umik mic to run rew . Is there any reading or links on setting up 3 or more subs. 2 I got 3 or more I'm getting lost and want to get the best output.

Oh and Shady. Where would I get a chunk to seal the hole. Right now both open it digs deep. I can't imagine going lower

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Just to show the room and maybe someone has a better placement. 26x13x7. Hsu is right now on the back wall

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To answer some questions....no she didn't include the plugs. I agree I can make some up and wow the air pushed thru these ports is ( bad word) insane. 2nd. The wife likes the home theater but detests the bass. With this HSU I feel I've been living in beginners land with the jbls compared to what this thing puts out. I was watching a dts hd trailer of JP fallen kingdom. When the t rex is walking the sub is Killing the house lol. My side door to the furnace was being beaten by the air pressure.

So here's a question. I still haven't rerun audessey until I can get a quiet house. I have a denon 4400. The num 1 sub out I have both jbls up front run off num 1 with a y connector. The hsu is run thru number 2. I did this as I watched the lasted video of Gene saying how to run more than 2 subs. I think my next purchase needs to be a umik mic to run rew . Is there any reading or links on setting up 3 or more subs. 2 I got 3 or more I'm getting lost and want to get the best output.

Oh and Shady. Where would I get a chunk to seal the hole. Right now both open it digs deep. I can't imagine going lower

Regarding placement and calibration of multiple sub systems, there are two schools of thought here. Harman's approach and Geddes approach. Both are super nerdy. I would just place them around the room asymmetrically. The only way to know for sure what is the best is to measure the responses as you change placements.

As for plugging the port, You might be able to just roll up a piece of fabric and stuff the port, and that may do the trick. If you want to be absolutely sure, buy a polyurethane or neoprene block and cut out a tight fitting cylinder shape, but I don't think you need to go that far.

In the meantime, keep the sub in 'max output' mode on the tuning mode switch on the amp panel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis