JBL Studio 500 series on sale.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, that's like discontinued crazy good. Do they normally do price cuts like that? Is there word on the street about a new line?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think they're just slowly closing out these various consumer lines. Less and less of each series are available or maybe they're just continuing with certain models that sell well. I think @jsf0656 may be interested in this sale....

ps FWIW this sale still isn't as good as when I got my 590s and 580s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what did you pay and did you buy direct from JBL/Harman?
Both mine were from AcousticSoundDesign via Amazon. $900 delivered for the 590s, $518 for the 580s (I got the 530s and 520C used).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Studio 580 tower for $350
Studio 590 tower for $480
Studio 550P 10" subwoofer for $200
Studio 520C center for $180

https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers/#prefn1=brand&prefn2=isRefurbished&prefv3=false&prefv1=JBL&prefv2=false&prefn3=isSupport
Strange price changes! For Black Friday, they had the following prices:
Studio 580 for $380 ($30 more)
Studio 590 for $450 ($30 less)
Studio 550P for $180 ($20 less)
Studio 520C for $180 (no change)

also, @panteragstk reviewed this sub here:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/jbl-studio-550p-10-inch-subwoofer-quick-review.108994/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kurt, I take it you continue to be happy with your 580s?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, I take it you continue to be happy with your 580s?
Yes, for the price (I'm remembering $360 each, but may be off by $20 or so),they do everything well.
They are not my best speakers, but for the price, they continue to be among my favorites!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, for the price (I'm remembering $360 each, but may be off by $20 or so),they do everything well.
They are not my best speakers, but for the price, they continue to be among my favorites!
I temper my opinions of them by price, too. I wouldn't want to pay list for any of the 5 series really but then I dislike paying list generally :)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Damn. If only they offered a more competent center and a bookshelf version...

I can say from experience these are definitely more accurate than the klipsch, but not quite as efficient.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
But its documented that Klipsch fudges their sensitivity. In fact, Shady tested it out at 92.1dB @1m for the rp-8000. So the question is, does JBL fudge their spec?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But its documented that Klipsch fudges their sensitivity. In fact, Shady tested it out at 92.1dB @1m for the rp-8000. So the question is, does JBL fudge their spec?
I would say that’s less likely than the big K!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If I had the disposable income, I'd pull 3 590s and 4 580s for a 7-channel system. ;)
And get divorced in the process. :p
But I don't, and I won't, so I won't. :)

I've heard enough good stuff about the JBLs, I would probably still choose these over Klipsch if I were going to look for a mid-low budget rig.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though, I did just notice that they call the 590 a 2.5-way, with only 1 xo freq (1.5kHz). Doesn't that make it a straight 2-way?

2.5 would be 2 different drivers (say 2 matching woofers +1 tweet) with the woofers xo'd at different freq's?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Though, I did just notice that they call the 590 a 2.5-way, with only 1 xo freq (1.5kHz). Doesn't that make it a straight 2-way?

2.5 would be 2 different drivers (say 2 matching woofers +1 tweet) with the woofers xo'd at different freq's?
The two matching 8" drivers aren't tasked to the same thing so 2.5 way (one is more tasked to midrange). As far as a measurement to test the sensitivity spec, try this https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/jbl-studio-590-loudspeakers-review-and-test-395529

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The Infinity Reference speakers look pretty good at those prices also. Id look into a sub if I didn't live in a 5th floor apartment.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis